Options

Network Monitor

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
From Mspress book for 291, chapter on Network monitor, question at the end of the chapter says: 'Which of the following is not required to capture frames from a network adapter on a remote computer?'

a. Install Net. Monitor driver on the remote computer.
b. Install Net. Monitor driver on local computer.
c. Install the full version of Net. Monitor on the local computer.
d. Install the full version of Net. Monitor on the remote computer.

Book says answer is d, why not b as well? If you've installed Net. Monitor on local computer the driver is automatically installed so b would not be required as well. You wouldn't be capturing on local computer if you didn't have full version installed to begin with.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Netmon driver needs to be installed on local computer and remote computer to do any type of network monitoring. This is just the driver piece.

The full version of Network Monitor is the software program. This only needs to be installed on the local computer to open the GUI. And since you installed Network Monitor it installed the network monitor driver locally. And all you need to do is install the network monitor driver on the remote computer (don't need the GUI/Application... just the driver) for you to be able to capture traffic.

Make sense?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    So then b is not needed?
  • Options
    D is not required. All others are required.

In other words, the book is correct.
  • Options
    If the driver is installed with the install of network monitor why does it then need to be installed again?
    And since you installed Network Monitor it installed the network monitor driver locally.

[/quote]
  • Options
    You can think of it in the perspective as: You need to install the local network driver and you need to install the program. So it still remains true. But yes, you can install the GUI to install both in one fell swoop, but that doesn't change the fact that both need to be installed.
  • Options
    I agree that they both need to be installed but installing the program takes care of both, why would you include an aanswer that does that and then add another answer that is redundant and then claim that the redundant answer is required? I still think b is not required if c is.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think you're looking at this the right way. Just because they can be installed together doesn't make either one less of a requirement. That's like saying Active Directory doesn't require DNS because you can install them together when you promote a computer to a DC. The question isn't asking about installation procedures; it's asking about which components are required.
  • Options
    Maybe it could be looked at this way, installing the network monitor driver by itself will not enable you to capture, it's a needed piece but installed by itself you're not capturing. Installing the basic or full version of net. monitor on the local computer handles both parts, so as a result answer b 'install net. monitor driver on local computer' is not required. You can't do just b and meet the requirement of capturing. Why would anyone install the driver first and then turn around and install the full version, it's unneccesary to install the driver first.
    Maybe it's a bad question but if got this on the exam I'd probably go nuts.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Try this.....Take C out of the list of possible answers. Would B still be required then? Yes.

This question doesn't sound like a multiple choice answer to me. So the D answer would make the most sense. Personally, I'd just mark it as a goofy question and move on. Remember, this is Microsoft.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)