Options

What a Crappy End to the Year....

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Welp figured I would vent a little bit as this has probably been the worst month I've had in my life (only 23 so I am sure there are more to come). Job I thought I was going to have after I graduated is gone. Went into my car to go somewhere today and it wouldn't start (06 Civic still under warranty). Economy is crap and just having no luck with the job search (had two interviews, one there was no job to be had and the other didn't feel I would enjoy the position they had open). To top it off my school is taking their sweet time certifying my final loan for tuition. If I had a dog it would have probably died by now. All this and Christmas is coming and I have little to no money for gifts to give the fam. Oh well just venting....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Well i can only comment on one thing from this post. Christmas is not about the gift its more about just being able to spend time with your family.

Everything will work out and shortly you will have a decent job.

Best of luck
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Got another interview! Maybe things are finally going my way...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If money allows, keep prepping for certs and do everything you can to get experience. (Even Volunteer work helps!) Those are things you can control to some degree.

If you have a significant other, just tie a bow around your naked body on Xmas. Sexeh! icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    You should be happy, I have a wife and a son and am being laid off at Christmas time. No other job prospects as of yet. The problem around here is it's all government contracts. They all want a 4 yr degree. For me, that's about a year off.

Trust me, you'll be fine, and remember that someone somewhere has it worst than you or I do.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    If money allows, keep prepping for certs and do everything you can to get experience. (Even Volunteer work helps!) Those are things you can control to some degree.

If you have a significant other, just tie a bow around your naked body on Xmas. Sexeh! icon_lol.gif

I was waiting for this moment....

Work-safe supposedly, it's censored: http://www.hulu.com/watch/1402/saturday-night-live-dk-in-a-box-censored

Not work safe for sure: http://www.hulu.com/watch/1596/saturday-night-live-dk-in-a-box-uncensored
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    DK-in-box is a classic SNL skit, along with the Natalie Portman gangsta rap. LOL...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    ULWiz wrote:
    Well i can only comment on one thing from this post. Christmas is not about the gift its more about just being able to spend time with your family.
    well phooey, I got neither this year: we don't have enough money for gifts (only the little ones in the family are getting gifts, grown-ups are just getting cards) and not enough money to go visit family. We're in Chicago, family's in NYC/tri-state area, the dog isn't welcome at mom's house and boarding is not cheap. Le sigh. icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to keep positive, but it's hard especially this time of year. Economy's down, I've got no job yet, and I'm miles away from family. On an up side, this will be the first holiday season in a LONG-ARSE time that we won't be traveling and will be able to get a tree/decorate the house (we've traveled to visit most holidays since we left NYC back in 1997!), and it's our first Christmas in our new condo. So THOSE are the things I'm focusing on, or at least trying. I know there are people worse off than I am, so I can't really complain all that much.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Well car was covered by the warranty and since I got the extended care I got a rental car for the day. Interview is for helpdesk, which I had hoped I was past, but I'll take what I can get. It's for a bank and they are looking to hire asap. Even going to let me work part time while I finish school (if I get the job). You guys were right!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hey man, i am sorry to hear this. it could be a lot worse!! i was hit over the head and mugged about 3 weeks ago. It caused a brain clot which has prevented me from flying. therefore, it caused me to lose a 6 figure job that was offered to me a day or two prior to the mugging. They rescinded the offer because traveling is a major part of the job. Also, I was in between jobs and insurance companies so 2 weeks worth of hospital stay w/ consultations, blood work, and a bunch of MRIs/CT scans are coming out of my pocket. I hope things turn around for you.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hope things turn around for all of you guys bt the sounds of it!

btw, you have a 06 civic and your a student?? :D i dont even have that now!!! ....seriously though, i wish you all good luck. I hope it works out for us all!!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Hard work to get the car! But anyway, jimmy, I am very sorry to hear that! Makes my problems seem like nothing. Did they at least get the guys?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I think christmas for many people this year will be a little scaled back, so no worries about money for gifts. Just do the best you can in situations like this, you're not alone.

Here's the Jimmypizzle83 Hospital Story .....we all are wishing him a speedy 100% recovery.... Actually I think Chris Berman from ESPN once said "You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him". I now realize he was taking about JimmyPizzle, seeing how jimmy wanted to study in the hospital. icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote:
    Hard work to get the car! But anyway, jimmy, I am very sorry to hear that! Makes my problems seem like nothing. Did they at least get the guys?

an 06 civic is pretty sweet. what color? nah, the police have no idea who did it.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I think christmas for many people this year will be a little scaled back, so no worries about money for gifts. Just do the best you can in situations like this, you're not alone.

Here's the Jimmypizzle83 Hospital Story .....we all are wishing him a speedy 100% recovery.... Actually I think Chris Berman from ESPN once said "You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him". I now realize he was taking about JimmyPizzle, seeing how jimmy wanted to study in the hospital. icon_lol.gif

haha thanks
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Jimmie:

Any chance of COBRA coverage? It varies by state but I think you have 6 weeks after leaving a job to get COBRA to continue any coverage you had at your job. Don't know if it'll help as you may now fit in the pre-existing condition category, but it's worth checking into. If you aren't on the outs with your previous employer you might contact the HR dept. for help/info.

Best of luck to you all.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    2006 Honda Civic EX Long Beach Blue (2 doors). It's a great little car and beyond it not starting two days ago hasn't caused me any problems. Lots of recalls, but that was because of the redesign. Just about 50,000 miles on her and running strong.

Picture I found of my car online....

T224.jpg
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    nice man