Options

3640 vs 1720

6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

need an opinion, i was studying for bsci and ran into ipv6 with ospfv3 and long and behold only one equipment in my lab runs it. I have a few 2600s, 4700, 3620, 3640.

so currently, my 3640 will run it, but I need to bump up the memory.

anyway, before I invest in 1-2 more systems to run ospfv3 with ipv6, which would be a better way to go?

3640s or 1720s? both these are cheap enough

I have some funds... but I can't run out and get 2811s icon_sad.gif lets say my budget is 200$.

TIA
lets hear some opinion please...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 1720 doesn't support 801.Q Trunking -- look at the 1721 (or 1751 or 1760 if you think you'll want a Voice Router in the future).

For BSCI, Dynamips (using Dynagen as the front end) is an good option if you have a newer PC or Laptop available. GNS3 is the memory hog graphical front end for Dynagen and Dynamips.

There should be a couple of links in the Home Lab section of the CCNP FAQ that should lead you to more Dynamips/Dynagen information.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I wouldn't go that far just to run ospfv3. There really isn't much difference from ospf over ipv4 that you need equipment just for it (or take the route mike suggests)

I would save your pennies for switches for when you get to bcmsn

Otherwise, be careful when buying the 3600s off ebay, as they come stock with zero interfaces.
  • Options
    thanks for the comment, yes 1720 doesn't support vlans but it's so cheap atm. :) from what you are saying... you wouldn't consider 3640s at all? so lets say 3640 vs 1721 which would be better for the future?

I finished switching already, borrowed some 3750s, 3550, 2950s from work! 6500s were too big to take home.
  • Options
    I am really fortunate and live in san jose, and there are various places to go to find used network equipment. i know of at lease 3 places to drive to tomorrow. all these routers I have came from a tech recycle place in Santa Clara, CA. I really weary of ebay/craigslist. thanks again for the comments.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    6stitches wrote:
    you wouldn't consider 3640s at all?
    I use 3640s for my home CCIE Lab... but you have to take into account the cost of the interfaces.

The 3640s would be more expandable, but the 172xs would probably be more cost effective. .

I grabbed a couple of cheap 2650s for the voice side of my home lab, so those could be another option (mine were max mem/flash for around $100 (including the shipping)).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Ok, so I will probably just go grab some 3640s, my only other worries are the max flash of 32mb, and it seems that 12.4 and up are pretty much coming up or surpassing 32mb. should i worry about this?

I also just read up on Dynamips, and I would probably have to upgrade my computer in a big way.

I do enjoy working with hardware, since I am not a network person (unix/linux), seeing these DTE / DCE cables, wiggle them in to get the light to come on and stuff... you guys probably see it until eyes bleed at work. :)
  • Options
    I ended up buying 2 routers, 1721 and 1751, I got them for 60 bucks for both at weirdstuff in sunnyvale. I also bought a 2924xl switch for 55$. They had a bunch of 2500 series for 10$, I almost bought some... and 2600s for 30$
    I always spend more than I need there... icon_sad.gif

thanks again for the suggestions, 60 bucks later and now i can work on some labs. I will build a new computer later and probably play with dynamips. New computer will be nice, finally migrate to sata and usb 2.0.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    6stitches wrote:
    Ok, so I will probably just go grab some 3640s, my only other worries are the max flash of 32mb, and it seems that 12.4 and up are pretty much coming up or surpassing 32mb. should i worry about this?
    If you want the latest greatest IOS tech train then you basically need one of the current models anyway. Cisco have dropped support for most of the older routers. The latest for the 36xx is 12.4 mainline. They never released 12.4T for it.