Options

trying to share printer on vista laptop from xp desktop

suren327suren327 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey everyone,
I am in a situation where i bought this new vista laptop and i am trying to share the printer that i currently have connected to my xp desktop. i have the wireless router set up and the laptop has internet. but when i view the network from my laptop i do not see the desktop computer or the shared printer..can anyone help with this?? thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Little confused here. How do you have all those certs but cant solve a simple printer sharing issue.

Does anyone else here think i am crazy.

A+,Net+,MCP,CCNA,270,290, are your current certs

I am baffled at this one.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    hugoluckyhugolucky Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    is network discovery enabled on the vista box?
  • Options
    suren327suren327 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i've been an electrician for the last 3 yrs..alot of new technology i need to learn again...ULWiz
    yes hugolucky i will try that and let you know..
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    you'll also need to install the Link Layer Topology Discovery protocol on the XP desktop in order for it to be seen by and "talk the same language" as the Vista machine. You can download it here.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote:
    you'll also need to install the Link Layer Topology Discovery protocol on the XP desktop in order for it to be seen by and "talk the same language" as the Vista machine. You can download it here.

I have this exact same setup (XP Home machine connected to printer) and I can access the printer just fine from my Vista machine without needing to install LLTDP. You should just share the printer, then in Vista go to Control Panel | Printer | Add New Printer | Add Local Printer and enter the name as \\computerName\printerName

@ULWiz, chill out. If it is so simple, providing the answer would have made more sense than to attack him.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    @ULWiz, chill out. If it is so simple, providing the answer would have made more sense than to attack him.

Yeah, next time, just fart in his general direction. No one will know aside from your unfortunate immediate neighbors, and you'll feel better. :P

(Sorry, saw Spamalot over the weekend...)
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I ran accross this EXACT situation. There is a MS fix out there for download. You need the "Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

Why this was not included with SP3 is beyond comprehension.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Weird I had no issues getting my dad's laptop to print through an xp machine and didn't have to install anything except for the vista drivers for the printer on the laptop....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So that's just to get XP machines to appear in the network map, right?

I haven't had any issues with file or printer sharing between XP and Vista either.

I have to admit though, that's the first time I've heard of LLTD. Good info guys.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote:
    So that's just to get XP machines to appear in the network map, right?

I haven't had any issues with file or printer sharing between XP and Vista either.

I have to admit though, that's the first time I've heard of LLTD. Good info guys.

I think you've nailed it on the head. You technically maybe able to do some resource sharing between XP & Vista without installing LLTD, but I think it's necessary if you want to see the XP machine on Vista's network map.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I never had to install anything either just had to change some settings on the machines. There should be no install necessary to see folders or printers when xp and vista are on the same network. You can also see the xp machine on the vista map.

Maybe i was a little harsh when posted before and thats my bad.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress