Options

Blackberry Users

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
My sister wants to get the new Blackberry and is under the impression that in order to get e-mails (she wants to get them from her yahoo account) she'd have to have the internet plan from Verizon (unlimited in $45 a month I think). I thought that you just have to pay for the e-mail which is $5 a month from what I saw on their website. So which is it? Thanks!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For a family plan, we were quoted $30 per month for unlimited internet access for the Blackberry Storm.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    mamono wrote:
    For a family plan, we were quoted $30 per month for unlimited internet access for the Blackberry Storm.
    :o Does that include the regular contract fee and any free calling minutes/sms messages or is that just for the Internet access? I know James is getting a BB Storm, so he can probably tell give you some info too.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    mamono wrote:
    :o Does that include the regular contract fee and any free calling minutes/sms messages or is that just for the Internet access? I know James is getting a BB Storm, so he can probably tell give you some info too.

The $30 per month for internet access is an additional fee on top of what the family plan is. You would have to select a family plan that has all those listed above.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I haven't looked into plans yet, but Verizon requires BB users to purchase a data plan, and all of VZW's BB data plans include email. I think all plans also include "unlimited" Web browsing, which is really 5GB/month. I've heard the cheapest data plan is $30/month (family plan with 2-year contract) and I'll probably start with that.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i have verizon...they have a plan where its just unlimited email, and a plan where its unlimited data...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a World Edition. It was $30 for 10MB data a month. $45 for unlimited data. With a BB you must purchase a data plan. That is on top of your regular phone package. You would then just setup her yahoo account to forward the emails to her bb email address or your could POP them.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Just got done reading the review on Engadget, seems like a nice phone, not sure it's better then the iPhone 3g though...
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote:
    Just got done reading the review on Engadget, seems like a nice phone, not sure it's better then the iPhone 3g though...
    The Storm is available from Verizon and not AT&T, and for me that makes it a whole lot better.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    JDMurray wrote:
    leefdaddy wrote:
    The Storm is available from Verizon and not AT&T, and for me that makes it a whole lot better.

Yup. I have my appointment at 8am to pick up my Storm. So happy right now.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote:
    I'm going to wait and see if VZW brings out any really good Storm deals after Black Friday. If not, I'll wait until after the holidays. If Storm sales don't meet their holiday projections VZW might have some nice post-holiday plan discounts.

Plan info: The BlackBerry Storm: Your Top 20 Questions Answered

Latest Storm review and bug report: RIM BlackBerry Storm 9530
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    phantasm wrote:
    I'm going to wait and see if VZW brings out any really good Storm deals after Black Friday. If not, I'll wait until after the holidays. If Storm sales don't meet their holiday projections VZW might have some nice post-holiday plan discounts.

Plan info: The BlackBerry Storm: Your Top 20 Questions Answered

Latest Storm review and bug report: RIM BlackBerry Storm 9530

Just got mine this AM. I like it!! Typing takes some getting used to but overall is a nice device!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    All the Verizon Wireless retail locations in my area were sold out within 15 minutes of opening at their special hours for today... in other words, all were sold out by 7:15am. damn... so, I placed an order for mine. Nice to get $150 off as a renewing customer. I can't wait to play with it next week when it arrives before Thanksgiving. :D

I like how it includes an 8GB microSD card. I plan to order a 16GB and use the 8GB w/ SD adapter in my Amazon Kindle. When I spoke to the Verizon rep, he said that the $30/month for data plan through a family plan was for unlimited data usage.
  • Options
    MY wife and I will be tripping by a VZW store today to see what deal we can get on two Storms for renewing our family plan for 2 years. The batteries in both our current cell phones are shot, and it turns out that the Storm deals are likely better now than later.
  • Options
    Day +1 with my storm and I love it. The camera is a bit slow though, but I don't use the camera function much anyway. Keyboard takes some getting used to but I really like the tactile fedback.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My sister got her yesterday and man is it a sweet device! She got there at 6:45 am because they were suppose to open at 7:15 and they didn't open till 8. Then they came out and said they only had 5 Storms and handed out tickets to receive them. She was number 5 in the line. I played with it a little bit and it was awesome. What I really liked is, I make my own ringtones and at this point there is no way to get them on a normal Verizon phone. But with the Storm I was able to pop the microSD card out and place an mp3 ringtone into the folder and use it. Can't wait till January to get mine!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    There is a $50 mail-in-rebate through Verizon, so that would help a bit. I still itching to get mine. My current Verizon phone lasts for a 1 minute call and then dies. Would be nice to have an actual working phone for once. :)
  • Options
    The VZW store near me sold out all they had this morning and said they won't have any more for 2-3 weeks!! It turns out they also sell Storms in the wireless kiosks at Best Buy and Costco (and possibly Circuit City) too. Gonna check this out tomorrow.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Well, I guess I'm gonna be busy setting up Blackberries on Monday to use the BES, it seems everyone wants one ;)
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    rfult001 wrote:
    Well, I guess I'm gonna be busy setting up Blackberries on Monday to use the BES, it seems everyone wants one ;)

We dont allow personal blackberries on our BES, for security reasons. Infact, only very high up people or people who really have a need for it can even request a blackberry.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    It used to be that way here, but due to some recent budget cuts people are now required to pay for their own BB and service. Sucks, but that is what we have to deal with. To make things worse, we are migrating from Lotus Domino to Exchange 2007, so we have 2 BES servers going at the moment until the migration is complete. icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    Blackberry Storm is listed on the Verizon Wireless website as being on back order until December 15th.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4286

It looks like all that they were able to produce were physically at their store locations with a few at the warehouse for direct shipment. If there are any left, they're going to be on the store shelves at the kiosks like JD said. Good luck to you all that are trying to hunt one down!
  • Options
    They will probably create an artificial shortage of Storms to create consumer demand and therefore not need to lower the prices (what Nintendo has been doing with the Wii for the past two years in the USA).
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    If your interested in getting a storm let me know. I can get a hold of one at work for you.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The district manager for Verizon in our region has been in contact with our IT manager claims to be getting us 5 phones available and at the upgrade promo price ~6 months early. Hopefully they can hold true to this so I can get rid of my Moto Q :)