Options

BSCI Scheduled: Nov 26, 2008[UPDATED: Failed]

Comments

• Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    keenon wrote:
    qplayed wrote:
    I read/watch in this order, lab work is done after every topic.

Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 and 2
    BSCI Study Guide
    Train Sig
    CBT Nugg
    BSCI Exam Guide

BSCI Lab Portfolio

you need to spend more time labbing more elaborate lab scenarios and debugging them as well to see the processes of whats going on. Get a practice exam as well to get your testing comfort level up also

what do you mean by practice exams?
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    qplayed wrote:
    what do you mean by practice exams?

transcender or boson have very good test sims for this and other NP related exams. what are you using to lab with as well? dynamips, real gear or some other lab software? I would suggest getting real IOS time with dynamips or somebody's rack.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    i thought you were talking about brain ****(which I hate)

I do not have access to either transcender or boson, I only use what the cisco press exam
    guide provides. I'm using GNS3/dynamips/gen, I have real gear but was spoiled with an access
    server which I do not have currently so I'm working on dynamips/gns3. I'm very comfortable with
    cisco testing...i jest never knwo where the time goes :) it always seems to be a blur after I take
    test.
    well enough.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll be OK. Just stick to your weak sections, and get back in the mix. Now you know what the test is like, it'll be no prob the next time around. Good luck!
  • Options
    Sitting in for a retake in 6 hours!
    PAST Results:
    EIGRP 66%, OSPF 20%, ISIS 28%, IOS 70%, BGP 36%, multicast 50%, IPv6 62%

Let's see how we do, this time around, OSPF and ISIS should improve, along with everything else.

Twitter update at:
    http://twitter.com/ewiss

I'll post results after the exam PASS or FAIL!
    well enough.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

Post time.... add 6 hours plus estimated exam time -- check twitter. Got It!! :D

If you're planning to start an immediate celebration, remember no drinking and driving.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Way to get back up on that horse! Good luck, this one scares the crap out of me!
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    qplayed wrote: »
    Twitter update
    10 days should give you plenty of time to solidify your base and bring up those pesky problem areas....

Post your breakdown again when you get a chance -- drowning your sorrows drunken_smilie.gif after an exam is still a reward for all your study, and motivation to try it again (and again, and again). :D
  • Options
    EIGRP 55%, < down
    OSPF 40%, < up
    ISIS 57%, < up
    IOS 60%, < down must;ve been ip address-helper!
    BGP 54%, < up
    multicast 87%, < up
    IPv6 37% < down

I'm sad and happy at the same time....10day ! IPv6 review tonight!
    well enough.
  • Options
    ....now how should I attack this. Should I use the same study pattern?
    Exam Guide > TS > LAB > Study Guide or Doyle > CBT ....
    well enough.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    hit the exam and study guides..... really knuckle down on your weak areas... but also don't forget to browse over and revise the areas you seem to be strong on.

Get some extra lab work in.... Maybe take notes on certain aspects of your weak area to help you really remember that information...

Remember it's no good if you just remember the stuff for the exam then forget it all as soon as you pass.......

P.S - Good Luck for that third attempt!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    round 3 scheduled 08-13-2009!
    well enough.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man! Hope it goes well.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    3rd times a charm
  • Options
    August 13, 2009 BSCI Round 3 at Abram Friedman Occupational Center 6PM...
    well enough.
  • Options
    Eddie_JasmineEddie_Jasmine Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off, good luck on the 13th!

Secondly...because you have taken the test twice, YOU ARE YOUR OWN BRAINDUMP! Treat it like that. Just looking at your scores, it seems that you may be bombing out on the simulators. I would try to remember those questions and work on those because if you bomb the simulators, there is NO WAY you're going to pass.

Thirdly...look at diagrams and pics as much as you can. I recently passed the BSCI on the first try and I spent a lot of time hunting down diagrams that I could commit to memory. There was a brilliant one on OSPF where some guy explained the difference between Stub and NSSA areas. It was much easier to comprehend than just reading it.

Lastly...don't study too much on the day before the exam. Let your brain coalesce the knowledge...make it into a story. And..if you feel you're not prepared, you have 24hrs to cancel/change the exam date. There is no need to give Cisco more of your money if you're not ready.

I have a feeling you'll pass this time. Good Luck!
  • Options
    I don't think I bombed the sims, but its possible. In th event I bomb this one again, i'm taking time off and start BCMSN for a change. I'll review BSCI along the way and take the composite at the end of the year.

That's the plan for now. I don't mind(I do!) paying for the exams, its the nature fo the beast. It would be great to pass the exam(s) in one shot like i did when i took the CCNA composite. Who knows maybe I'll be better at taking the CCNP composite :D.

One thing I am suprised on is a few acquaintances and colleagues have suggested using the d*mps just to pass. I can't believe that people put in the hours to read and do labs to just use d*mps. A total waste of time IMHO.
    well enough.
  • Options
    One thing I am suprised on is a few acquaintances and colleagues have suggested using the d*mps just to pass. I can't believe that people put in the hours to read and do labs to just use d*mps. A total waste of time IMHO.

IMHO...you can't pass the BSCI on **** alone. If someone used the ****..

1) They would have to research to make sure it was the right answer.

2) They would have to read and study just to understand the concepts behind the answer.

Personally, I think programs like Transcenders are helpful because you need a lot of practice questions so you can direct your studies and get key concepts under your belt. Microsoft tests can be easily passed with a braindump...Cisco tests?...you're going to have to study. But, like I said in my previous post, you've taken the test twice so you should be fairly familiar with what they will ask you.

Did you study alone or in a study group? Although I haven't had the opportunity to use study groups lately, they are nice because you can help each other fill in knowledge gaps...and not feel so alone. icon_smile.gif

ps. I took a summer class at Abe Friedman, in the day. The ugliest building in L.A.! LOL
  • Options

IMHO...you can't pass the BSCI on **** alone. If someone used the ****..

1) They would have to research to make sure it was the right answer.

2) They would have to read and study just to understand the concepts behind the answer.

Personally, I think programs like Transcenders are helpful because you need a lot of practice questions so you can direct your studies and get key concepts under your belt. Microsoft tests can be easily passed with a braindump...Cisco tests?...you're going to have to study. But, like I said in my previous post, you've taken the test twice so you should be fairly familiar with what they will ask you.

Did you study alone or in a study group? Although I haven't had the opportunity to use study groups lately, they are nice because you can help each other fill in knowledge gaps...and not feel so alone. icon_smile.gif

ps. I took a summer class at Abe Friedman, in the day. The ugliest building in L.A.! LOL

I've mostly studied alone
    well enough.
  • Options
    round 3, 10hrs and counting
    well enough.
  • Options
    qplayed wrote: »
    round 3
    da-dum da-dum da-dum-da-dum-da-dum.....

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fail icon_sad.gif
    Results
    R1 R2 R3
    66 55 77 EIGRP
    20 40 50 OSPF
    28 57 42 ISIS
    70 60 30 IOS
    36 54 72 BGP
    50 87 50 Multicast
    62 37 37 IPv6
    633 688 666
    I'm moving on to BCMSN and taking composite in 6 months. I'll review each BSCI topic every week so I don't loose much of what I've learned. I just don't get these scores. What do you all suggest?
  • Options
    "I'm moving on to BCMSN and taking composite in 6 months. I'll review each BSCI topic every week so I don't loose much of what I've learned. I just don't get these scores. What do you all suggest?"

I'm not too sure about your strategy of taking the composite when you really don't have the BSCI concepts down. You should be cracking into the mid 700's at this point and you're not even close.

Go to Google and find a Cisco study group in your area. I think it will be beneficial for you and help you fill in some knowledge gaps.

Also...look for these two documents on the net: CCNP BSCI Quick Reference Sheets & CCNP BCMSN Quick Reference Sheets.

They are both from Cisco and I found them very helpful.
  • Options
    I have the CCNP quick ref book, same thing and covers all 4 exams. My wife told me it might be a good idea to change it up and ease up a little on the studies. I hardly see her since i'm always locked up in a room reading....
    well enough.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    For BSCI, I think lab time is more important than reading time. Make every effort to implement what you're learning, and see if you can extend it and come up with your own scenarios. Seeing it in action and learning where things break and how to fix them when they do may just let you retain the information a little better.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    qp81 wrote: »
    fail icon_sad.gif
    Results
    R1 R2 R3
    66 55 77 EIGRP
    20 40 50 OSPF
    28 57 42 ISIS
    70 60 30 IOS
    36 54 72 BGP
    50 87 50 Multicast
    62 37 37 IPv6
    633 688 666
    I'm moving on to BCMSN and taking composite in 6 months. I'll review each BSCI topic every week so I don't loose much of what I've learned. I just don't get these scores. What do you all suggest?

What specifically did you use for study material and lab material for the three attempt. For me BSCI was extermely tough, and it took me three times..but I added material each time.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Here's acomplete list:
    TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2
    CP Study Guide
    CP Exam Ref
    CP Exam Guide
    CP Lab Portfolio
    TS
    CBT

I am adding TestOut for BSCI this week.
    well enough.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Honestly if you can't pass the exam with all that material you may need some structured training. I'd suggest you look into some training classes. You may not be fully understanding what your reading. I really don't think a practice exam is going to be much help for you. It may get you over the pass mark, but isn't going to help you fully understand the material.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    any suggestions on where to go for these classes?
    well enough.