Options

Not in IT?

CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone its been a while!

I was thinking the other day....I wonder how many people are on this forum that dont work in IT? I dont work in the IT field anymore and couldn't be happyer :D I am infact living my dream and operating Heavy Equipment.

Lets See some pics of your office or just tell us if you dont work in the IT field but love it just the same. Or am I the only one....? icon_wink.gif

I have Climate Control, Heated Seat and Satellite Radio in this one, I LOVE IT! This pic is before we got the windows tinted Black.
homeimage.jpg

502248-1.jpg

I have more pics, the only other one I need to post is the 385C LME but I will do that later.
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!

Comments

• Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Sorry, I work in IT :)
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    Wow I think I remember now why I left this forum. Everything just becomes a big joke, you try to start a thread that is different in anyway everyone turns it into a big joke. icon_evil.gif
    Lets See some pics of your office or just tell us if you dont work in the IT field but love it just the same.
  • Options
    Not trying to be rude but It seems that everything that I ever start get throwen off topic somehow!
  • Options
    Sorry!

Jees.

This is a certification forum.

For IT people.

Whatever
  • Options
    Wow.....like I said I now remember why I left. I know it is a certification forum, and it helped me alot when I got my A+. Just because it is a "IT Forum" doent mean that I cant ask an innocent question and expect a legit answer......
  • Options
    <sarcasm removed>

Apologies Cabbage, I didn't mean to crap in your thread.

Sorry.
  • Options
    Kevin10686Kevin10686 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work in IT...however I am currently in the process to be a state trooper...that is my other passion...law enforcement..and its actually the off-topic section..so good post..

if I become a trooper, ill post a pic of my car.. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Nice....
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Have to agree with the previous post this is a IT forum.

Happy you like working out in the cold operating your big machine.

Maybe you should try and post it in the I love my Big Equipment forum sure those guys would love to chat it up with you.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    ULWiz wrote:
    Have to agree with the previous post this is a IT forum.

Happy you like working out in the cold operating your big machine.

Maybe you should try and post it in the I love my Big Equipment forum sure those guys would love to chat it up with you.

Yeah, but this is Off Topic!

Give the guy a break.

I'm actually slightly envious, surely these are big boys toys :D
  • Options
    Kevin10686Kevin10686 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats what I am saying its off topic..he use to post and he is a member. he just had a change of heart...give him a break..
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Cabbage I understand why you are getting upset but this is an IT related forum...mainly the posts here will be somehow related to IT. I'm glad your happy in your new field and I wish you the best with it....some people may take it the wrong way tho...
  • Options
    I shouldnt have gotten upset and I apologies, I thought it would be kinda fun for those of us who have chosen a different career and still stay close to the IT world and are still interested in trying to get more certs and broaden our knowledge of the field.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Did not even notice that. Well since its off topic.

Why did you decided to change from IT big machine operator.
    I personally hate working in the cold. Just not for me. Even if my seats are heated i would much rather be inside.

Looks like you got once cert and then stopped?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    I couldnt stand just sitting in an office. I have to be out doing something. And its not cold in the cab at all, the cabs are pressurized and so once the door is closed it keeps whatever temp you set the climate control to. I still do a ton of IT but it just wasnt for me I had to follow my dream, plus I always wanted to operate since I was 3.
    I'm actually slightly envious, surely these are big boys toys

I like that, this is my favorite machine to operate and the best part is I never have to leave the cab once I start it. This isnt the one we own but it is the same year same set up.
    385c2530tb1.jpg
    Standing next to this machine my head barly reaches the top of the bucket, and im 6'3" so yes they are quite big.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm in IT but one day I'll get out and go teach art. No "office" to post a pic of though. Sorry! I'm glad you're following your dream though, IT or no IT. Keep at it and continue enjoying yourself fully!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yeah I do remember you, specifically your avatar. The weird lil furry creature sticking it's tongue out. :D Congrats on doing what you love, that's most important in life.

One day I hope to take one of Undomiel art classes so I can learn to draw more than stick figures icon_wink.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The weird lil furry creature sticking it's tongue out.

Weird!? He's from VG Cats!

Cabbage, congratulations on following through with your dream! I'm really happy for you. Good luck with that!

I'm all for sarcasm and fun, but I hope none of you really were seriously ripping on him for posting about his career change. Sometimes people just need a Change of Hats ;)
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have a server at work that we have been plotting the demise of, by any chance can you crush it for us?

I'd fill in for you a couple of days a month just for a change of pace from sitting in the office. One of the fun things I enjoyed about my old job was that I got to drive a fork lift every now and then.

As long as you're happy, thats all that matters!
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    Sure I will crush it for you....although it might be a little overkill, lol! How would you like it; Crushed, Smashed, we could put it 10 feet under, you will have to be a little more spacific! LOL :D

As far as switching me for a few days....you might have a hard time with that seeing as they have to pry me off the machines at the end of the day anyway. :P
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    but that almost seems second to shoveling snow or being able to do massive amounts of push-ups.

You need to come to the wonderful world of joint-service units my friend. I did my last push-up probably a year ago, and have three *airmen* under my supervision. Life is good.

I'm also in the Army..I do nothing but IT now- mostly Network tech stuff, and lately have been managing several IT projects. I've done some pretty cool stuff for being an IT guy though. Lots of chopper rides, big guns, and warm weather :)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was going into law enforcement before I got hurt. But the goal was to get in and then go to technology crimes. My boss at ICE was extremely happy to have an IT guy and in the academy when there was an issue they'd look at me. Once people hear you know anything about computers, they all have questions.....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

People on here need to get a grip, flamin people cos they start a thread thats totally off topic is way off, some people need to get a life icon_evil.gif
    There are plenty of threads in here that are not IT related and none of them were told to go to another forum,

As far as leaving IT and going to drive big moster trucks, that sounds awesome!!! icon_wink.gif

If i was a pron star would i be allowed to post pics of were i work icon_lol.gif

No pics of my office i dont even have a digital camera, just imagine some chairs and desks with monitors on an that pretty much sums it up, lol (sorry couldnt help the sarcasm)

Lee H

also.....wouldnt we class digging machinery as technology?
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    icon_lol.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I do plan to stay in IT for my career but would like to migrate away from the day to day supporting of a network and maybe move over to getting my PhD, doing teaching, and research. If I could go back there are a few other careers I may have considered.
  • Options

Lol that was awesome. Come to think of it in that last pic I posted that machine has more going for it on a network end then anything I have come across. Infact everything in that cab is just one big network (exept the Satellite radio, different network icon_wink.gif ). Crap that means I went from one IT job to another :D

Lets see, The pilot system is electric so each joystick goes to a switch panel to open up a valve, the LCD control panel has readouts on EVERYTHING (fuel, temp, grade, throttle, time, coffee breaks, WWIII, montiors Russian Nukes, tells me if anything is out of the ordinary icon_lol.gif ) The list goes on and on. I also get a text from CAT at the end of every work day giving me a proformance read out, and will tell me if there is anything wrong with the machine and if so what part, serial number, were to order it, ect. Why doesnt my Computer do that? icon_evil.gif

If I get a chance to open up the circuity and switch panel I will post some pics, they're not huge they are quite small but they sure are complex.
  • Options
    hugoluckyhugolucky Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lame

music technology
    construction technology
    heavy machinery technology
    flaming technology

theres all kinds of technologies

the front door here says...

"For technology but non-certification related topics"

maybe they can change the front door to read...

"For information technology but non-certification related topics"

Technology 1. Human innovation in action that involves the generation of knowledge and processes to develop systems that solve problems and extend human capabilities. 2. The innovation, change, or modification of the natural environment to satisfy perceived human needs and wants.

with that definition in mind, the OP was, IMO, within bounds as long as the technology allowed to be discussed here at this particular forum is not specified to be "information technology" at the front door, which it doesnt specify even if this is, as a whole, an IT web site

just my $0.02, hope i didnt offend anyone
  • Options

Lol that was awesome. Come to think of it in that last pic I posted that machine has more going for it on a network end then anything I have come across. Infact everything in that cab is just one big network (exept the Satellite radio, different network icon_wink.gif ). Crap that means I went from one IT job to another :D

Lets see, The pilot system is electric so each joystick goes to a switch panel to open up a valve, the LCD control panel has readouts on EVERYTHING (fuel, temp, grade, throttle, time, coffee breaks, WWIII, montiors Russian Nukes, tells me if anything is out of the ordinary icon_lol.gif ) The list goes on and on. I also get a text from CAT at the end of every work day giving me a proformance read out, and will tell me if there is anything wrong with the machine and if so what part, serial number, were to order it, ect. Why doesnt my Computer do that? icon_evil.gif

If I get a chance to open up the circuity and switch panel I will post some pics, they're not huge they are quite small but they sure are complex.

WTF
  • Options
    Lol, just tyring to explain that there is so much information going across that screen. And I thought it was funny so.... :D