Options

Using DRAC & IP KVM

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
I hope everyone is doing well. I have been tasked with doing a bunch remote NIC teaming using DRAC and IP KVM. Its been several years since I have done NIC teaming and have never done it remotely thru a remote console login.

Does anyone have any experience using DRAC or IP KVM or have a link to a good tutorial of the steps of logging in to the server, etc and then starting the process to team the NICs using the DRAC and/or the IP KVM?

I have to do about 50 servers and most will be broadcom NICs and a few Intels. Not worried about the Teaming process as I have a SOP on this and this is a fairly straightforward process anyway. I have just never done it from a remote console.

Thanks in advance.

Breadfan
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    IP KVMs don't run through the NIC of the server. There is a module on each server that connects to USB and VGA that connects to a Cat5 cable that runs up to your KVM switch which is then connected to your core switch.

You could remote into a server using IP KVM uninstall all the NICs and still have connectivity. So just go about teaming your NICs as if you were in front of the machine.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    DRAC and an IP KVM will have its own network port. You should be able to do just do the same steps as if you were physically present.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What tiersten and aordal is true... Unless you are unlucky enough to be working with Dels or HP servers with shared DRAC/iLO ports - where the console port is physically shared with NIC1. Always worth double checking. ;)
  • Options
    I've never seen that. We don't run any Dells here but our HPs iLO have their own NIC. That would suck if it were shared =d
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    astorrs wrote:
    What tiersten and aordal is true... Unless you are unlucky enough to be working with Dels or HP servers with shared DRAC/iLO ports - where the console port is physically shared with NIC1. Always worth double checking. ;)
    Could be worse. The Intel vPro feature can make your PC appear on the network as a webserver on a specific port without OS support.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    aordal wrote:
    I've never seen that. We don't run any Dells here but our HPs iLO have their own NIC. That would suck if it were shared =d
    Some current HPs have shared ports by default too (e.g., the DL320 G5p). icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The reason I asked was I was told I would first log in by using a browser and THEN it would look like a normal console. I was also told it could be different for the broadcom and intel nics too. not sure. I am hearing this 2nd hand and our lead is out sick so I was trying to be a little proactive. I cant find squat on the dell site about it except it to install it and configure the card which is already done.
    But if its the same steps as sitting in front of it, then its gravy from here.

Thanks again guys.

Have a good Turkey Day

BreadFan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    You should be fine. IP KVMs are for the win, it just launches a java applet. The nice thing about them is you can even be remoted into the machine while it's booted up. Some IP KVMs offer you the ability to start a server. The BIOS has to support WOL, but it's still cool.