Looks like the job hunt continues.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Some of you might have stumbled across my thread here: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40086

Basically, I applied for a position with an organization that invests heavily in you for 18 months while you obtain your CCNA, CCNP, and CCVP certifications and mentoring from senior engineers along the way as well as participating in various stages of customer projects to apply the skills you've learned - sounds like a sweet opportunity!

Well, I went through the 1st and 2nd phone interview, 3rd technical interview is going to be arranged in the next day or so but I learned more information about the job after questioning the manager I spoke to in the 2nd interview today. I knew the job would require relocation after about a year or so into the program as you are placed at the regional office they determine to finish your training and become a network voice consultant. That wasn't the greatest thing in the world for my wife and I since we currently own and have a 16 month old, but we were willing to take a step back to renting for a while again since the opportunity sounds great and my current job lacks any form of forward momentum. The catch is, I asked if once you are relocated if that location is fairly permanent. It's not, you may be relocated each year or so possibly if the market demands, but he did note they don't like to if they can avoid it.

I'm not sure how to proceed really, my wife and I have been thinking the scenario over and we both agree that taking a step back from home ownership to renting again which would effectively be a permanent thing working there with the unknown chance of possibly relocating now and then. I'm also not sure that I want to put my family through a possible move every so often, with everything that goes along with it (finding another day-care, wife finding a new job, etc).

I'm looking at two options now, since I really wont accept relocating every year or two if needed - part of me wants to be courteous to the potential employer and respectfully withdraw from the interview process now. On the other hand, a part of me is telling me to stick it out through the technical interview, and if that goes well I'll have a 3-4 hour series of interviews in person and if they like me still and make an offer see if I can get in writing something about not having to relocate after the initial relocation. The prospect of having to relocate periodically doesn't seem to sound to me anyways, I guess I'm not sure how far out they can gauge the market as to how many voice projects they will be doing in a certain area and since I know they often fly consultants out of state for several days to weeks it seems strange to me that they would require possible frequent relocation.

What are your thoughts? Do you think I should stick it out, see if I get an offer and then hope they really like me and can write in exceptions regarding continued relocation? Or should I withdraw myself now in hopes of another position opening which happens from time to time, that does not require relocation - my concern with further openings is leaving a bad taste in someones mouth because I wasted time going through the interview process on this opportunity when I already knew the possibility of frequent relocation didn't work out for me.

Comments

  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Relocation can be tough. I've done it three times with my husband, and I won't lie - it sucks. We relocated from NY to AZ after college so he could go to grad school, then to Toronto for his post-doctoral position, and now to Chicago for a (hopefully permanent) professor position. I can say that I am now officially sick of moving and am looking forward to settling down (we have been renting for years and just bought a condo), but I did have some good experiences along the way. We only had the challenge of a dog for 8 years of the last 11 of our "traveling adventures" together, and so it was simpler for us than it would be for you with a young child.

    The things you need to ask yourself are if this opportunity is worth the travel and the unknowns it will bring, and also if you are able to handle the possibility of your wife not being able to find a job right away with every move. If you're comfortable financially, then this might not be an issue....but if you're not, then this might be a stumbling block perhaps. Also, if the job involves frequent travel rather than frequent relocation, would your wife be okay with working and taking care of your child & homefront largely on her own? It might be something she's able to do, but she might not be thrilled by the prospect.

    What kind of obligation do you have to the company after the training period - are you required to stay with them for a specific period of time so they can get a return on their investment? What if you don't complete the training/certification in the specified timeframe?

    You have nothing to lose by keeping going with the interview process. You are under no obligation to accept the position, so stick with it and see what happens. If they make an offer, then ask them some more questions about the position and see what information you can get out of them so that you can make a more informed decision if and when that time comes.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Upon completion of the training and certifications, once you are relocated, the opportunity pays off well financially. As far as our current financial situation, we are very much a dual-income family and reliant upon that especially now as my current job has had it's hours reduced since my company is a real estate company and times are tough. Once I was drawing a steady salary as a fulltime employee once again with this opportunity we could support a brief while with her not having a job.

    As far as requirements on my behalf, I would have a two year commitment which begins from day one of my training with 18 months to complete the training and certifications. If I do not complete it, or if I opt out of the contract there is a fee equal to the investment of tests paid for and resources provided for training.

    I guess it ultimately comes down to if they can make exceptions and not require regular relocation, regardless of the feasibility of it we would want to purchase a home again in a few years if we like the area we were relocated to, or find a different job elsewhere after I have some experience on the resume along with the certifications and eventually buy again and settle down.

    It's difficult to keep a clear mind and make an educated decision that is right for everyone involved with the economy the way it is and with our financial issues at home currently with my lack of hours. The more I think things through it begins to make more sense to stay put, and keep looking for local opportunities or hope things pickup this spring and I can get my hours back and get a bit more stable before any big decisions are made - but I suppose you are right, no harm in riding it out and seeing what they can offer.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If the position requires relocation and you do not want to relocate you should just drop it now IMO. I'm sure they have plenty prospects lined up that wouldn't mind traveling and I don't really see a large company like this making a travel exemption for a new hire.

    I could be wrong though....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is more to a job than experience and money. Your peace of mind is worth more. If your current job is comfortably supporting your way of life right now stay working there, do some personal professional development, and find a job that is more local. I thought that my world was coming to an end when I got laid off in April but I actually found a job less than three miles from my house that pays me almost double. You just have to wait it out and find the right opportunity.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    [email protected]
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    They most likely will not put anything in writing in regards to no relocation. If it has come up this early in the interview process you can assume it's a real issue to contend with.

    So it comes down to are you willing to face constant relocation. Many families with a spouse in the military do this all the time and make it work well. But that doesn't mean it's for you or your family. Perhaps a more modified approach is possible. Go through the training/cert process, relocate once to three times (depending on how often they make you relocate) then look for a different job that offers stability of location.

    Then it comes down to how you feel about the training/cert process and your possible work experience when done with training. Will you learn enough during the training process, and then gain enough work experience afterwards to allow you to make the jump to a different job within 3 years? If so and the pay is good enough to support your family during the transition(s) when your wife is without a job I'd say go for it. If not, or if your wife is not fully onboard with this then you should politely withdraw now. If you withdraw professionally and explain that at this point in your life the need for relocation simply doesn't work for you and your family, I doubt that anyone will have a problem with that or that it would affect your ability to successfully apply for a job with this company that doesn't require relocation if one were to become available.

    Good luck with this.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Paul Boz: How bout dem Saints!!! :D

    Now if they could just play like that every game?! icon_confused.gif
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    drainey wrote:
    Paul Boz: How bout dem Saints!!! :D

    Now if they could just play like that every game?! icon_confused.gif

    If only the opposition's defense played that poorly every time icon_lol.gif

    Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, my wife and I have weighed the pro's and the con's and if an offer falls in my lap I'm going to move forward if it's an acceptable offer.

    Overall the decision is mostly based on how I would get into a career as a voice engineer without this opportunity. It would likely involve a lot of self study and slowly working my way up through the ranks at another organization. Given the opportunity, we've agreed it seems sensible to roll with whatever comes down our way in terms of relocation for a few years or so. Grandma and Grandpa might be a bit upset because we won't be as close for them to see their grandson, but it's a sacrifice that has to be made to get my career moving again as it's gone stagnant where I'm at. It will be a bit of a blow to the ego I guess selling the house since I really despised renting, but I suppose the bright side is we will more than likely be saving money every month once the house is sold through paying rent vs a mortgage which along with the higher pay will help get ourselves out of the hole we dug into when my hours were cut.

    I had the third interview this afternoon, the technical interview. Everything seemed to go very well, me and the interviewer got along great and related very well to a lot of points that were brought up. Really wasn't much of what I would consider a technical interview, was more of a Q&A with me explaining some of the projects I have researched, designed, and implemented over the years and the reasons behind them, how it was implemented and the end result. If all goes well I should be getting a phone call early next week for the last interview which is an on-grounds 3-4 hour beast with a bunch of people... this one has me a bit nervous but I'm still anxiously awaiting the opportunity to meet some of the people I've been speaking to over the phone finally and hopefully make a good impression.

    Thanks to everyone for their input!
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Some of you might have stumbled across my thread here: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40086

    Basically, I applied for a position with an organization that invests heavily in you for 18 months while you obtain your CCNA, CCNP, and CCVP certifications and mentoring from senior engineers along the way as well as participating in various stages of customer projects to apply the skills you've learned - sounds like a sweet opportunity!

    Well, I went through the 1st and 2nd phone interview, 3rd technical interview is going to be arranged in the next day or so but I learned more information about the job after questioning the manager I spoke to in the 2nd interview today. I knew the job would require relocation after about a year or so into the program as you are placed at the regional office they determine to finish your training and become a network voice consultant. That wasn't the greatest thing in the world for my wife and I since we currently own and have a 16 month old, but we were willing to take a step back to renting for a while again since the opportunity sounds great and my current job lacks any form of forward momentum. The catch is, I asked if once you are relocated if that location is fairly permanent. It's not, you may be relocated each year or so possibly if the market demands, but he did note they don't like to if they can avoid it.

    I'm not sure how to proceed really, my wife and I have been thinking the scenario over and we both agree that taking a step back from home ownership to renting again which would effectively be a permanent thing working there with the unknown chance of possibly relocating now and then. I'm also not sure that I want to put my family through a possible move every so often, with everything that goes along with it (finding another day-care, wife finding a new job, etc).

    I'm looking at two options now, since I really wont accept relocating every year or two if needed - part of me wants to be courteous to the potential employer and respectfully withdraw from the interview process now. On the other hand, a part of me is telling me to stick it out through the technical interview, and if that goes well I'll have a 3-4 hour series of interviews in person and if they like me still and make an offer see if I can get in writing something about not having to relocate after the initial relocation. The prospect of having to relocate periodically doesn't seem to sound to me anyways, I guess I'm not sure how far out they can gauge the market as to how many voice projects they will be doing in a certain area and since I know they often fly consultants out of state for several days to weeks it seems strange to me that they would require possible frequent relocation.

    What are your thoughts? Do you think I should stick it out, see if I get an offer and then hope they really like me and can write in exceptions regarding continued relocation? Or should I withdraw myself now in hopes of another position opening which happens from time to time, that does not require relocation - my concern with further openings is leaving a bad taste in someones mouth because I wasted time going through the interview process on this opportunity when I already knew the possibility of frequent relocation didn't work out for me.

    Hang in there buddy. I've had more than my share of tough financial times with the significant other, and I know your pain. But you are doing the right thing. Just keep your head on straight and an opportunity will open up eventually.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
Sign In or Register to comment.