Options

Parental Controls?

Well, just realized Parental Controls do not come with Vista Enterprise (using the .vhd running on top of VirtualPC).

To those who passed 70-620, did you find it necessary to perform the practice exercises covering Parental Controls and Content Advisor?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They're pretty straight-forward. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get any hands-on with them, but you should read about them and be familiar with the options since you will probably get some questions about them. 620 is more of a home-user exam.
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    I used Enterprise as well for study, read the chapter on Parental Controls thoroughly in the MS Press book and tried to memorize from the pictures what the main menus are. Didn't come up in my test but I know it's covered, so worth knowing. 620 was by far the easiest MS exam I took, so don't worry too much.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anyone know if there is a trial download of any other version besides enterprise?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    anyone know if there is a trial download of any other version besides enterprise?

You have 30 days to evaluate on any version, they are all included on the same installation media.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    They're pretty straight-forward. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get any hands-on with them, but you should read about them and be familiar with the options since you will probably get some questions about them. 620 is more of a home-user exam.

+1

The parental controls are very easy to navigate, they were designed with non-tech parents in mind.

For practice I have been offering to set up parental controls on computers parents bought their kids for Christmas. Along with setting them up with the restrictions they request I also make sure they know how to use all the parental control features so they can make adjustments on their own as they see fit.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I do remember a question or two about parental controls, but my only experience with them was reading about them in the Sybex study guide and the Technotes here on TechExams. That was enough for the exam.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Nobylspoon wrote:

You have 30 days to evaluate on any version, they are all included on the same installation media.
    Very true...so you could do a virtual install of Home Premium or Ultimate if you really wanted to play around with the features of Parental Controls or Media Center, etc.

But while it does help to get hands on practice with those features, you can totally get by with reading about them. I practiced using Business edition & had no hands on with Parental Controls or Media Center but was able to do just fine with an 838. Just put a little extra effort into reviewing those areas you don't have access to and you'll be good to go.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thankfully my girlfriend's step mom has Home Premium. Parental Controls are pretty easy to configure. I forgot about all versions being present on the install media though... Thanks!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would set up some standard accounts and play with parental controls. They are very basic to use...most parents can use them. You may see a sim in this area, but if you read the sim objectives....they are pretty straightforward.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    As said, I wouldnt worry. Spend the time on other areas.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools