Options

Please review my resume, thanks in advance

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
Name Address

OBJECTIVE
To obtain a position in computer networking/information systems administration with current use of Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Linux server, and Windows XP/Vista operating systems.

CERTIFICATIONS
MCSA Windows Server 2003
CCENT- Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician
MCP
A+
Network +
Dell hardware certifications 2002, 2004 and 2006
Pursuing MCSE and CCNA – Projected completion by March 2009

EDUCATION
1996 - 2000 University of Phoenix
Aurora, CO
Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems

2001 and 2002 New Horizons
Englewood, CO
Beginning Crystal Reports 8.0
2152B Implementing MS Windows 2000 Professional and Server
2028A Basic administration of Microsoft windows 2000

2005 and 2006 Sunset Learning Institute
Englewood, CO
Cisco Call Manger and Unity Administration
Cisco IP Telephony Part 1 v4.1

WORK EXPERIENCE
03/07 - Present
Prestige Realty Group LLC.
Systems Administrator
Personally responsible for company’s network and IT infrastructure including upgrades, Active Directory management, Cisco and HP network equipment, Linux and Windows servers, backups, security, monitoring, escalated help desk tickets, and implementing projects for new technologies and systems.
Major IT Projects completed:
• Setup hybrid DLT and backup to disk backup system using Symantec Backup Exec11d server and a Celeros iSCSI SAN and Quantum Super Loader 3 DLT carousel.
• Implemented Exchange 2003 email server that used a LeftHand SAN iSCSI partition for its information stores.
• Active Directory password security policy through group policy.
• MultiTech fax server deployment
• Corporate Symantec Anti-Virus roll out
• Setup a Blackberry 4.0 server migration.
• Implemented a free script to email users when their passwords are about to expire instead of purchasing a product for the same purpose saving the company money.
• Software license management project that bought company in compliance saving them from potential costly lawsuits.
• Implemented a test Exchange 2007 server pilot project.
• Four Mandriva Linux LAMP server deployments for company interactive website.
• Several domain controller servers build including a Windows Server 2000 - 2003 AD domain upgrade project.
• Router and switch Config for branch offices which included WAN connections, static routing and VLANS.

09/01-2/2007
CIBER, Inc. Greenwood Village, CO
Support Analyst 2/Network Team Member
• Personally handled over 5000 assigned requests from the Help Desk staff
• My requests were handled in a courteous and timely manner that emphasized customer service and soft skills.
• Responsible for administering the companies Toshiba PBX switch
• Administered CISCO Call Manager and CISCO Unity software for phone and voicemail administration.
• Project manager for consultant practice laptop imaging project, managed 4 team members.
• Created and published multiple procedures designed for use in the technical services department.
• Team member of multiple projects including Windows XP SP2 upgrade and corporate VOIP project.
• Project manager for Indianapolis office VOIP installation; tasks included: IOS configuration of Cisco 2852 router and 3750 switch and installation and setting up 30 IP phones.
• Built and configured servers running Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 server operating systems.

3/2000 - 8/2001, Rhythms Net Connections Englewood, CO
Support Analyst 1/Help Desk Technician
• Served as primary point of contact for the IT Operations Technical Support group for entire Rhythms organization
• Performed PC hardware and software installation and configuration,
• Resolved network connectivity issues, desktop application errors, and network account issues.
• Provided internal helpdesk support for 2000 users on the company LAN including remote users and international/Rhythms Canada employees.
• Imaged machines with Ghost and configured laptops for docking station.
• Configured employees for remote VPN operation on DSL and dial-up connections.
• Set NTFS file permissions for documents on servers.
• Installed, configured, and maintained Microsoft software including Outlook in a network environment.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Work Experience should go first
    Then education
    Then certifications

Inconsistent format, you list dates like 1996 - 2000 then like 2001 and 2002 or 09/01-2/2007 when it should be consistent like 9/2001 - 2/2007 . Choose one or the other. Make sure and review your whole resume for this.

Remove un-needed information per job. Example: You probably will never need in an actual job "Beginning Crystal Reports 8.0"

Make sure and space correctly. "WORK EXPERIENCE
    03/07 - Present " looks bad without carriage returns

List all your jobs with the job title as the main bolded introduction unless you are trying to show off you worked for a great company like Google/Microsoft/Dell or w/e. Then you can list the company name first.

If you honestly worked as a Support Analyst for 6 years then you should have a lot more to speak for the job. Try to add a lot more information in there. You don't want to look like you barely did anything in such a large amount of time.

Consider adding a skills section below certifications if your resume doesn't fill 2 pages

This is definitely debatable but I think your certification section would look a lot better in order of total letters. I know you should put strong certs first but it just doesn't look right. And again you have an inconsistent format. Try this if you agree with me, it is your choice.

CERTIFICATIONS
    A+
    MCP
    CCENT
    Network+
    MCSA Windows Server 2003

(don't put pursuing certs and look for the edits I did like deleted the space between Network and +)

I have more comments but you have enough to do for right now.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips, I think the 6 years in the same position hurts me but at some companies it is hard to get promoted, that company had a team of level 3 sys admins and network engineers that never quit or moved up so there was never an open slot for me to advance, plus the economy was bad for IT jobs in Denver from 2001 - 2006 so I decieded to stay put, plus the company had good pay and benefits. I should add more about that job because I did do a lot there.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope everything fit in one page.

It is not what you did on the job, you need to show them what you accomplished at the job, too.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    coax31 wrote:
    Name Address

OBJECTIVE
    To obtain a position in computer networking/information systems administration with current use of Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Linux server, and Windows XP/Vista operating systems.

CERTIFICATIONS
    MCSA Windows Server 2003
    CCENT- Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician
    MCP
    A+
    Network +
    Pursuing MCSE and CCNA – Projected completion by March 2009

EDUCATION
    1996 - 2000 University of Phoenix
    Aurora, CO
    Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems

2001 and 2002 New Horizons
    Englewood, CO
    Beginning Crystal Reports 8.0
    2152B Implementing MS Windows 2000 Professional and Server
    2028A Basic administration of Microsoft windows 2000

2005 and 2006 Sunset Learning Institute
    Englewood, CO
    Cisco Call Manger and Unity Administration
    Cisco IP Telephony Part 1 v4.1

WORK EXPERIENCE
    03/07 - Present
    Prestige Realty Group LLC.
    Systems Administrator
    Personally responsible for company’s network and IT infrastructure including upgrades, Active Directory management, Cisco and HP network equipment, Linux and Windows servers, backups, security, monitoring, escalated help desk tickets, and implementing projects for new technologies and systems.
    Major IT Projects completed:
    • Setup hybrid DLT and backup to disk backup system using Symantec Backup Exec11d server and a Celeros iSCSI SAN and Quantum Super Loader 3 DLT carousel.
    • Implemented Exchange 2003 email server that used a LeftHand SAN iSCSI partition for its information stores.
    • Active Directory password security policy through group policy.
    • MultiTech fax server deployment
    • Corporate Symantec Anti-Virus roll out
    • Setup a Blackberry 4.0 server migration.
    • Implemented a free script to email users when their passwords are about to expire instead of purchasing a product for the same purpose saving the company money.
    • Software license management project that bought company in compliance saving them from potential costly lawsuits.
    • Implemented a test Exchange 2007 server pilot project.
    • Four Mandriva Linux LAMP server deployments for company interactive website.
    • Several domain controller servers build including a Windows Server 2000 - 2003 AD domain upgrade project.
    • Router and switch Config for branch offices which included WAN connections, static routing and VLANS.

09/01-2/2007
    CIBER, Inc. Greenwood Village, CO
    Support Analyst 2/Network Team Member
    • Personally handled over 5000 assigned requests from the Help Desk staff
    • My requests were handled in a courteous and timely manner that emphasized customer service and soft skills.
    • Responsible for administering the companies Toshiba PBX switch
    • Administered CISCO Call Manager and CISCO Unity software for phone and voicemail administration.
    • Project manager for consultant practice laptop imaging project, managed 4 team members.
    • Created and published multiple procedures designed for use in the technical services department.
    • Team member of multiple projects including Windows XP SP2 upgrade and corporate VOIP project.
    • Project manager for Indianapolis office VOIP installation; tasks included: IOS configuration of Cisco 2852 router and 3750 switch and installation and setting up 30 IP phones.
    • Built and configured servers running Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 server operating systems.

3/2000 - 8/2001, Rhythms Net Connections Englewood, CO
    Support Analyst 1/Help Desk Technician
    • Served as primary point of contact for the IT Operations Technical Support group for entire Rhythms organization
    • Performed PC hardware and software installation and configuration,
    • Resolved network connectivity issues, desktop application errors, and network account issues.
    • Provided internal helpdesk support for 2000 users on the company LAN including remote users and international/Rhythms Canada employees.
    • Imaged machines with Ghost and configured laptops for docking station.
    • Configured employees for remote VPN operation on DSL and dial-up connections.
    • Set NTFS file permissions for documents on servers.
    • Installed, configured, and maintained Microsoft software including Outlook in a network environment.

This isn't bad at all. Okay, you've got a lot to work here and you should be aiming for something at least in the 70K range.

Now, take that resume and tailor it more towards the business people who really don't have a clue with what all this stuff means, so that they will pass your resume over to the IT Managers (who also often don't have a clue to what the stuff means).

First, keep the certifications and education where they are. It is very impressive. Highlight your Bachelors Degree in bold. Add a special skills section and projects section. Make it half a page if you have to do so, but load it up with key words that resume scanners will be using to identify resumes.

Spell out your certifications: e.g.. Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator Windows Server 2003 (MCSA).

Other than that, you should be very, very good. Nice experience by the way. Show jobs that you have some nice skills and you should be very good.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    very good resume, but I do have to agree that there needs to be some consistency with the dates (I find it visually distracting, but not everyone is as obsessive as me!:D). I also feel like the chronological order of the education & work history sections should be consistent - you have education from old-to-new and work history from new-to-old.

In addition to what other said about correcting/spelling out certs, you also want to use the "proper" terminology on your resume - technically, it's "CompTIA A+ Certified Technician," etc.

MCPWannabe also offers some great advice on aiming your resume not only at techies, but also towards those in HR who don't know what the blazes all those techy things mean...but they DO understand things like "increased worker efficiency and reduced travel costs by expanding remote VPN..." or "reduced software expenditures via..." or things like that. If you have any quantifiable numbers ($ figures or %'s, include them). Not sure about the part about avoiding litigation though, leaves me with a negative impression. Also, I think the first bullet points under the 2nd job (Ciber) can be combined into one line/statement since they're very closely related to one another.

Don't worry about keeping the resume to one page, you can spill over onto two pages if you need to. It's not as big a deal anymore to have a one pager, and it's more important that you communicate all the things the potential employer should know about you.

And I really don't think that it's a bad thing that you were at one place for 6 years. If anything, it will work to your advantage that you show some stability in your work history.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "First, keep the certifications and education where they are. It is very impressive. "

I respectfully disagree. If he is looking for another system administration job then having a MCSA and CCENT isn't that impressive. He is on the right track but he needs to showcase that experience as he has about 8 years of it. (although some companies count only the years you had labeled as a system administrator). Even if he has a MCSE and CCNA then I still would put strong experience first as thats what most companies will be looking at. About the only time I might list certs first is if the job description listed a bunch of certs as REQUIRED* and you matched almost all of them.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just had a quick glance, i'd remove "Personally" from the resume, its there twice.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$