Geek Stereotypes

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    royal wrote:
    Well I'm in Fort Walton Beach. It's right on the border of Alabama and Florida. I'd hardly call it the tropics since it's actually kind of cold down here as well.

Last winter there was a period of a couple weeks when there was a thick layer of ice everywhere. That week I went to Orlando when they were having a heat wave. That was great going from 0 degree weather with ice everywhere to 80+ degree weather. I wish it was that warm in the area of FL I'm in. Ah well, still warmer than Chicago so I still can't complain!

What part of FL are you in? I live down on the Space Coast.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote:
    Julia Roberts - Plastic = Skrpune
    icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I am by far the best looking geek ever. Hands down. No contest. It's obvious. Even a blind person can see that. hahaha
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Mmm I know tons of non geeky looking IT people, and also lots of geeky looking IT people. I'll try get some pics.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    I am by far the best looking geek ever. Hands down. No contest. It's obvious. Even a blind person can see that. hahaha
    yea, but you're still in Cincinnati.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I think last winter it faithfully snowed every week here. I'm going to try to take advantage and go "snowboarding" up in WI. IL is terribad for trying to have fun in the snow, unless you count sliding around on the roads =D

Also, good luck flying into O'hare royal. You're better off driving back from FL.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Back on topic... How are we defining a "geek"? Just someone who works in IT or someone who gets wet in the pants over a game of D&D and math equations? (sorry guys! :P)

Either way I can't say I was ever told I look like a geek, nor have I ever considered calling myself one. I'm told I'm attractive by my fellow female co-workers so maybe I'll post a pic later.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    aordal wrote:
    Also, good luck flying into O'hare royal. You're better off driving back from FL.

Getting to FL was a nightmare. And it wasn't even bad in Chicago.

My flight got delayed for 2.5 hours due to weather. I then get stuck in Memphis overnight. We board our plane, sit in the plane at the gate for a half hour. Then get told there's some scratches on the plane and it needs to get documented. We wait another half hour and then have to deplane due to possible structural damage that could compromise the aerodynamics (understandable and better safe than sorry), and then wait another 30 minutes to board another plane.

Bleh!

Hopefully this doesn't happen on the way back!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @ Mishra

When people see me seated like that while I'm on my deepest concentration they started to think I'm losing my mind. Are you? icon_lol.gif

nah, I'm just little and can do that kind of stuff
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Damn, this picture proves that i dont in actual fact look like he-man! Ah well!

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=profilejr5.png
  • 94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    I think I'm pretty anti-geek. I play competitive soccer, lift weights, I'm pretty active aside from those two hobbies, Love football, fantasy football and Love the Washington Redskins etc...

I've never played WoW, COD, and all the other big name games. I'm content w/ my ps2 and Madden 09. Although, I would like to pick up a 360...for Madden in HD lol.

Then again, I love the "Internet Culture", the memes, forums, etc. Obviously, I chose an IT career.

As far as looks, It's all subjective I guess. My wife thinks I'm good looking (She's legally blind hahaha - ok, not blind but biased) but in the past I've had other girls who, IMHO, were not attractive, tell me I was ugly lol.

What I've rarely seen though, is an attractive female in the IT industry. Sure we've all "heard of" or seen pics online but I've never actually met one. Again, that could just be my personal subjectivity.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
    94jedi wrote:
    What I've rarely seen though, is an attractive female in the IT industry. Sure we've all "heard of" or seen pics online but I've never actually met one. Again, that could just be my personal subjectivity.

Couple client's I have been to, their IT admins (girls) were gorgeous.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FL isn't a whole lot better. No snow right now, but it gets chilly at night, and I'm in Tampa. Still beats the weather back "home" (St. Louis, MO). I had ice on my windshield this morning! I miss Hawaii icon_lol.gif
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    royal wrote:
    94jedi wrote:

But were they actually smart or did they just get the job because of their looks? I think every IT department could sacrifice one position for the hot IT female as long as she isn't blonde.
    yea, but you're still in Cincinnati.

Which happens to be the murder-people-who-insult-cincinnati capitol of the world. So watch it!!!!!!! hahaha
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    94jedi wrote:

I work with a sys-admin directly that we share an office that looks like a 40 year old (she is 40) version of this picture.

tmb_cammask.jpg

No joke. The full figure. It is cameron diaz's the mask picture if you want to google it for a larger pic.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suppose you can't really see too much of me in this picture, but I've never really had a problem with the ladies.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uykH_qfr0lQOy1sxpaWLzg

Yeah, I like guns, also.
    loxleynew wrote:
    royal wrote:
    94jedi wrote:

But were they actually smart or did they just get the job because of their looks? I think every IT department could sacrifice one position for the hot IT female as long as she isn't blonde.

I'm trying to not be the overly sensitive female here, but isn't it a bit silly (and sexist) to be assuming that an attractive female getting a job in a male dominated industry just because of her good looks and not because of brains? Looks and smarts aren't mutually exclusive traits in women.

If someone's hiring pretty chicks because they're pretty & clueless instead of hiring those who are talented (& may just happen to be pretty), well then they're just doing their company a disservice...good luck to them when the whole network goes down because 'Bambi' was clueless! :D

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    skrpune wrote:
    loxleynew wrote:
    royal wrote:
    94jedi wrote:

I'm trying to not be the overly sensitive female here, but isn't it a bit silly (and sexist) to be assuming that an attractive female getting a job in a male dominated industry just because of her good looks and not because of brains? Looks and smarts aren't mutually exclusive traits in women.

If someone's hiring pretty chicks because they're pretty & clueless instead of hiring those who are talented (& may just happen to be pretty), well then they're just doing their company a disservice...good luck to them when the whole network goes down because 'Bambi' was clueless! :D

Just don't leave Bambi unattended. Problem solved icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Edit: I apologize for my previous post. Yet another reason why you don't give your idiot friends access to your computer. Thankfully it was nothing too offensive (I hope).
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skrpune wrote:

Wouldn't introducing an attractive woman into a stereotypical IT staff be problematic? I would put money on productivity plummeting and errors/mistakes sky-rocketing.
    dynamik wrote:
    skrpune wrote:

Wouldn't introducing an attractive woman into a stereotypical IT staff be problematic? I would put money on productivity plummeting and errors/mistakes sky-rocketing.
    Sigh. I would hope that most of the people who do the hiring decision-making don't think women on staff = reduced productivity. I'm not trying to say that I'm stunning or anything, but I would hope that my looks (or my "plumbing") wouldn't be held against me because my coworkers were too immature to handle working with a woman...

loxleynew wrote:
    royal wrote:
    94jedi wrote:

Smart.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skrpune wrote:
    Sigh. I would hope that most of the people who do the hiring decision-making don't think women on staff = reduced productivity. I'm not trying to say that I'm stunning or anything, but I would hope that my looks (or my "plumbing") wouldn't be held against me because my coworkers were too immature to handle working with a woman...

I was poking fun at IT guys who fit the stereotype, not trying to be serious. Though I must admit, it doesn't seem like too many around here do. Plus, you could always fall back on modeling and make more than we do by working 15 minutes a week in exotic locales ;)
  • jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Skrpune....... "plumbing"?
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote:
    I'm not brave enough (or trusting enough, take your pick) to post a picture of myself, but I will say that at my last tech job, I was frequently told that I didn't "look" like a computer person. Not sure if that has to do with me being female or if it was because I don't look like the comic book store guy on the Simpsons or a little of both.

I'm Asian, tall, lanky, spikey hair, and wear glasses... = Computer related. :P
    jnwdmb wrote:
    Skrpune....... "plumbing"?
    Um, yeah, sorry, should have been a littler clearer there. I was euphamistically referring to being a chick & having different parts from you fellas, not the fact that I have been known to use a pipe wrench. icon_lol.gif

dynamik wrote:
    I was poking fun at IT guys who fit the stereotype, not trying to be serious. Though I must admit, it doesn't seem like too many around here do.
    Yeah, I guess most of us are pretty nonstereotypical. Which begs the question - just where did this stereotype come from? Revenge of the Nerds??

skrpune wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    I was poking fun at IT guys who fit the stereotype, not trying to be serious. Though I must admit, it doesn't seem like too many around here do.
    Yeah, I guess most of us are pretty nonstereotypical. Which begs the question - just where did this stereotype come from? Revenge of the Nerds??

Bill Gates.