Options

Sitting BCMSN this Thursday Dec 4th (EDIT: PASSED)

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. Giving the BCMSN a go on Thursday. It's been approx 5 1/2 wks since my BSCI pass. I got through the BCMSN material relatively quick since my job now involves about 75% layer 2 stuff and 25% project management. I'd say I'm feeling confident, but at the same note, will still have to take my time and pace myself on the actual test, just to make sure I don't miss anything.

Assuming all goes well, I'm going to take a break from studying until the holidays are done, then hit ONT, then the QoS exam, and finally finish my CCNP with the ISCW. I'm heading the CCIP route eventually so I'd like to knock out the QoS exams together, and studying the BCMSN QoS sections really sparked my interest.

I've studied soley from the Cisco Press study guide, and have worked through almost all of the IEWB Volume I labs for switching.

Taking the test @ 10:30am EST on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You got this bro.... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Good Luck

As with any cisco exam expect the unexpected
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Good luck!
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    cblm123cblm123 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck man. im sure you'll be fine mate.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck man!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Doing lots of reviewing today, hopefully it will all pay off.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    What materials did you use to study?
  • Options
    CBT Nuggets (Jeremy Ciora's CCIE switching ones only), Cisco Press authorized BCMSN self-study guide 4th edition, lots and lots of cisco white papers, IEWB Vol I (just the switching labs). I've definitely done more hands on for this cert then anything. Trying to go over wireless a lot since I hear it gets a lotta people on this one.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote:
    CBT Nuggets (Jeremy Ciora's CCIE switching ones only), Cisco Press authorized BCMSN self-study guide 4th edition, lots and lots of cisco white papers, IEWB Vol I (just the switching labs). I've definitely done more hands on for this cert then anything. Trying to go over wireless a lot since I hear it gets a lotta people on this one.

I had almost zero experience with wireless when I took this one. The Docs saved me on the wireless part of this one as I didn't feel the Cisco Press books covered the technology enough.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    good luck man, like people have been saying, watch for the wireless. maybe cisco plans to start a ccwp soon, then they will take wireless off the ccnp. who knows what they got going.
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    good luck.. i am also tryin to schedule my exam... but the closest center is all booked up...
    the next center is about 19 miles away, which isnt bad...

hopefully both of us will have good results
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    lildeezul wrote:
    good luck.. i am also tryin to schedule my exam... but the closest center is all booked up...
    the next center is about 19 miles away, which isnt bad...

hopefully both of us will have good results

Good luck to you also. This center is about 4 miles away, and generally is pretty flexible on dates.

I test in 7 hrs, and just got home (3:30am). Fell asleep at the girlfriends place, and woke up to a sick 3 year old, so I had to make a 2am run to Walgreen's for some kid medicine. Of course, this has to happen on the eve of my BCMSN!! It's all good. As I've said before to myself, if I fail, it won't be on account of losing one nights studying..it'll be due to poor planning. That being said, I think I should be OK.....

...I hope icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Gametime ladies icon_cool.gif ..I'll let you guys know how I did as soon as I get back.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Gametime ladies icon_cool.gif ..I'll let you guys know how I did as soon as I get back.

I'm sure we will hear about a pass! Good luck again!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kill it icon_cool.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Just got back, got a 920/1000. I definitely could have done better, but I'm not complaining either. For anyone who has yet to take the BCMSN, here is what hit me hardest..

1) Know your wireless. Know your wireless. Know your wireless.

2) First-hop redundancy protocols. HSRP, GLBP, VRRP, etc. I aced this section, but I definitely got hit hard on it.

3) STP/MST/PVST+/RSTP etc etc etc

4) Voice/QoS..I had experience with voice so I didn't study it that in depth, but it showed.

Yay..now I can enjoy the holidays and take a little break. Should give me time to plan my next exam, whichever it may be. I've been considering delving into some QoS on the CCIP track or something. We shall see.
  • Options
    Congrats man! Halfway there to the NP.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Congrats man, huge accomplishment! Whats your goal date for finishing the NP track?
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Congrats
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Congratz!
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    Congrats....

i hope to do well on mine as well....

what are you doing next ? iscw ?
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    Congrats man, huge accomplishment! Whats your goal date for finishing the NP track?

Thanks fella's. My original goal was May 09'. I still may make that, but we'll see. I'm very interested in a million different technologies, so it's going to be hard for me to not detour onto other tracks before I complete the CCNP. Either way, I just want to keep moving forward.

It's going to take some time for me to decide, but as of right now I'd say it's a three-way tie between taking the ONT, CCDA, or the BGP exam for CCIP. I'm leaning towards the ONT, but I'm going to take the next couple of weeks to decide.
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Woo-hoo! Way to go!

I'm thinking, since I've been doing everything backwards up to this point...that this will be my next exam after ISCW. (Why mess with a winning formula?) Besides, I'm doing my CCNA-Wireless in-between, so that ought to help with the wireless portions...I hope.

Congratulations!

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Congrats on the pass man, way to ace it!