Strange RDP issue, help needed

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I tried rebooting a machine via RDP and it didn't reboot and now I can't RDP. It's win2k3.

I can connect and login to server using DameWare and server looks fine and listening on 3389 for RDP. There are no RDC connections and I checked make sure RDP is enabled.

Any RDP guru down there?

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It probably isn't a RDP problem in a sense. The server itself probably shutoff an item that RDP used before locking up. But it didn't shutdown anything dameware used. I've seen many times where a server locks up when trying to reboot it through RDP (not saying RDP is the cause) and you can't RDP back into it and have to physically shut it down.

If you can get in through Dameware can't you try another reboot?

Have you tried to RDP with or without /console?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Try using using remote shutdown from the command prompt.

"shutdown /i" will give you the user interface.

If that fails then you're going to have to physically reboot the machine. I've had this problem before, and even couldn't log into it from a KVM over IP switch. I think it's just a bug in Server 2k3, not necessarily RDP. If your problem is identical, then you're probably not getting a login screen.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I've noticed this happens somewhat commonly if you issue a reboot through start - shutdown - restart and you started your RDP client without the /console switch.

I've just gotten into the habit of rebooting the computer using shutdown /r /f from a command prompt. You can also add /m \\computername to do it remotely.
    Good luck to all!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I've noticed this happens somewhat commonly if you issue a reboot through start - shutdown - restart and you started your RDP client without the /console switch.

I've just gotten into the habit of rebooting the computer using shutdown /r /f from a command prompt. You can also add /m \\computername to do it remotely.

and add a /t xxx to set a time for it. Yes, Im impatient if I have to wait 20 seconds for a shutdown :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have noticed over the years that many servers have this issue - I am like HeroPsycho and prefer to reboot from a command prompt.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    snadam wrote:
    and add a /t xxx to set a time for it. Yes, Im impatient if I have to wait 20 seconds for a shutdown :D

I like being able to properly logoff totally before the reboot occurs. If you don't set a switch, you get 60 seconds.

Plus /t xxx is an extra 5-6 keystrokes.

Yes, I'm that lazy! icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen this before but it always seems to be systems that have been out there for a while. Any server that has ever had a tendency to hang is one that I'll use shutdown /r /f /t 0 when I need to reboot.

I've NEVER had this problem on any 64-bit version of Windows.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...