CCNA equipment

Kerber0sKerber0s Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I know you guys get tired of answering this question. But bear with me. I am new to CCNA. I just got the book a few days ago and am only halfway through chapter 1. I'm getting ready to lose my job because my company is going bankrupt and I want to get the CCNA under my belt so I can be more marketable. I am curious about the equipment needed for an adequate home lab. I DID read the FAQ's at the top but all of the posts that I read were from 2006. I'm assuming that the equipment has changed in the last two years. I also did a search on posts explaining what other people had and was completely baffled by what I read. I have done very basic work with switches (all 2900's and 2950's) and virtually nothing with routers. What equipment should I try to get now? How many switches/routers should I need? Please remember, I'm a complete novice. If the FAQ's are still ok then just point me back to them. I just don't want to get equipment that will not work with any updates that have come along with the exam. Thanks for the help!!

-Kerb

Comments

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Welcome, just read this and it should give you a good idea of what to look for on ebay.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kerber0s wrote:
    I'm assuming that the equipment has changed in the last two years.
    If you plan to turn your CCNA lab into a CCNP lab, then make one of the 4 routers that would be nice to have now a 2600XM. But that means you're spending about $100-150 now to save $20 later (the cost of a 2501 you'd toss in the closet and replace with a 2600XM for the CCNP).

Two years ago you needed at least one router to support 802.1q trunking for "router on a stick." Now you also need a router to support SDM -- but it can be the same router you use for "router on a stick." Otherwise things are still the same -- build the lab that fits your budget.

For the CCNA, 4 routers and 3 switches are nice to have. To save money, you can try to get by with less -- but you lose some lab functionality the cheaper you go.

When you already know what you are doing (and what the routers are supposed to be doing) then you can test almost any configuration/scenario with 2 routers. Same with switches. You can do all the configurations with just 2 switches, but some some things won't be "obvious" while you're trying to learn it unless you see it with 3 switches (or more).

As for 1900 model switches -- it's always fun to watch a 1900 switch become root bridge, but other than that and to have something to plug at least 3 OSPF routers into to do DR/BDR Elections -- they are pretty much worthless. That's why I say they are fine as a 4th switch.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Kerber0sKerber0s Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for the replies. I appreciate it. So you say at least one needs to be a 2600XM. What about the other three. I found a guy selling some 1721's pretty cheap. Will they do everything I need them to do? As far as the switches go, I read last night that the 1900 was pretty much worthless. Is the 2900/2950 any better. Does it give me all of the functionality that I need or is it the same as the 1900 series? If it is just as bad, what series switch should I start looking for. Again, thanks for the help and I know I'm being a pain. I just want to get this done the right way the first time.

-Kerb
    Oh, BTW Mike, this was classic. I laughed for a second after reading this.
    The 3rd router is worth selling a pint of blood to get
    Ok, so I've done some reading on the link above as well as some looking around. So what about this setup?

1x3640 router
    2or3x1721 routers
    4x2900/2950 switches?

If that will work, what modules do I need for the 3640? I still can't figure out wth the difference is with the modules. I found one that has a 1E2W w/ 1 56K DSU and a 4A/S. Will that work??? Thanks

-Kerb
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't know much about 1721s but otherwise that doesn't look like a bad setup to me.

Here's a break down of those modules:
    56K DSU (ie WIC-1DSU-56K) - This is a 56k DDS (Digital Data Service), if you have two routers with them and a special type of cable you can use it as slow serial connection, perfectly fine for a lab.

1E2W (ie NM-1E2W) - This card has one RJ-45/AUI ethernet port and two WIC slots (you could put the WIC-1DSU-56K in one of the slots).

4A/S (ie NM-4A/S) - This is a four port serial card, it could be useful for setting up the 3640 as a frame relay switch.

Keep in mind how you're going to connect these together. If you don't have any WIC cards for those 1721s the only configuration you'll be able to setup is all the routers plugged into the switches. You'd most likely want some serial WIC cards for the 1721s, which would give you a lot more flexibility.

Good luck!
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think switch wise you should get 2950's, especially if you are going for CCNP too.

I've recently invested in a pair of C3550's, and oh man, they are beautiful devices :D

Next up is for me to replace my routers ready for CCVP.

At the moment I've got 4 x 25xx model's and they're OK but not the best.

My personal favourites still have to be the 857W and 877 which I've used to route my internet.

Only thing to remember is that this Cisco equipment buying get's damned addictive.

Also - have a look at GNS/Dynamips/Dynagen if you think money is that tight. However, you will have to supply your own IOS images to use with it.

For a laugh last night, I emulated 10 x 3725's on my PC and they all ran very well without batting an eyelid...
  • HaywoodBurnerHaywoodBurner Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Woah, interesting stuff.

As someone who wants to get his CCNA but has no immediate plans to go for other Cisco Certs afterwards I wonder about all the equipment you guys recommend. I agree it would be wonderful but I wonder if it is necessary.

The CBT I am using recommends getting one router - I forget the exact model but I believe it is 800 series (can't check now cuz I'm at work :D ).

I just want to get comfortable pumping out command lines to the IOS so that I can pass the SIM questions no problem. I think I should be able to learn the rest from books, CBT, and online.

Any comments on this?
    Working on my CCENT, then on to CCNA
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, you'll also be able to resell what you buy for nearly the same amount. Also, check out www.thebryantadvantage.com

He gives you a generous amount of rack time for purchasing his study guide. You can probably rent it separately as well.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Woah, interesting stuff.

As someone who wants to get his CCNA but has no immediate plans to go for other Cisco Certs afterwards I wonder about all the equipment you guys recommend. I agree it would be wonderful but I wonder if it is necessary.

The CBT I am using recommends getting one router - I forget the exact model but I believe it is 800 series (can't check now cuz I'm at work :D ).

I just want to get comfortable pumping out command lines to the IOS so that I can pass the SIM questions no problem. I think I should be able to learn the rest from books, CBT, and online.

Any comments on this?

I'm assuming you're using CBT Nuggets, in which case Jeremy recommended the 851W. While that is a cool piece of equipment I would not choose it for studying due to it's lack of serial connections and it's price. If you just want to mess around with the IOS on a single router I would buy a 2500 or 2600 series router, which are cheap.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Talic wrote:
    Welcome, just read this and it should give you a good idea of what to look for on ebay.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916

Very helpful link Talic, thanks.
    Kam.
  • NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well to save some money ( in your possition that will help a lot ) i recommend :
    Gns3+Dinamips , Packet Tracer , some books ( I recommend Sybex 6th edition by Tom Lammle) and of course this forum .
    If you plan to get only CCNA i think that a home lab is not *must* .
    Good Luck!
    Offtopic : getting fired , now that is a good motivation to get you start learning ;)