Anyone ever have this issue?

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
On one of our servers, every time you login you have to click through this at least 10 times for it to stop.

ojmbg5.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never seen it.

Do you have all the .net service packs installed?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    yer ive had that, i fixed it by downloading the manifold sprocket

icon_lol.gif

sorry fade, couldnt help that one icon_twisted.gif
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Never seen it.

Do you have all the .net service packs installed?

Not sure, this is my second week. The "Systems Administrator" knows 0 about networking. She outsources it all, so I'm trying to figure it out by myself. icon_mad.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you checked the event logs for any errors?
  • 94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    dynamik wrote:

do that then maybe re-install dotnet and make sure the SP's are up to date.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    This seems to be the srvinfo.exe process. Try removing it from your startup in msconfig.
    Whoa, lets not remove mysterious things hastily. The other day, I was at a place that disabled automatic updates because some updates break ancient software that they use. Sometimes things are there for a reason, even if it isn't apparent.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

+1

Find the offending event ID in your event logs then google it...
    dynamik wrote:
    Whoa, lets not remove mysterious things hastily. The other day, I was at a place that disabled automatic updates because some updates break ancient software that they use. Sometimes things are there for a reason, even if it isn't apparent.

Edited :P

And for the record, it's not going to harm anything.

http://activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/reskit2003/0198/
    dynamik wrote:

Getting a lot of srvinfo.exe errors in Event Viewer
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    dynamik wrote:
    The other day, I was at a place that disabled automatic updates because some updates break ancient software that they use. Sometimes things are there for a reason, even if it isn't apparent.

I dont have automatic updates on any of my production servers (all 300 of them) for that very reason....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    paintb4707 wrote:
    This seems to be the srvinfo.exe process. Try removing it from your startup in msconfig.

it's not even in startup. icon_eek.gif
    paintb4707 wrote:

it's not even in startup. icon_eek.gif

Once again, I'd just uninstall it if it were me. It's just a Windows tool kit, like Windows Server Support Tools.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    dynamik wrote:

do that then maybe re-install dotnet

+1, srvinfo is fairly harmless. Its functionality is very similar to systeminfo.

Personally I would reinstall .Net frameworks and re-install the W2K3 Res Kit.

While disabling it would solve it its a work around and not a fix.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    paintb4707 wrote:

It might not be on the same level as deleting critical system files or something like that, but it may break things. It's hard to say without knowing what they're using it for. That was my only point.
    dynamik wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:

It might not be on the same level as deleting critical system files or something like that, but it may break things. It's hard to say without knowing what they're using it for. That was my only point.

I don't think they're using it for anything to be honest. icon_eek.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:

For one client we have scripts that piped the output through a filter and scheduled reboots according to the system up times. If they werent rebooted it caused memory leaks and they couldnt be rebooted too often as they needed to have xx% uptime. Twas a headache.

My point is that im with Dynamik and as said previously you should aim to fix it rather than hide it away / disable it.
    Sie wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:

My point is that im with Dynamik and as said previously you should aim to fix it rather than hide it away / disable it.

My suggestion for disabling it (or removing the process from startup) was only a temporary solution to check for stability. Basically simulating the removal process without actually removing it. Either way, reinstalling the application is usually one of the troubleshooting steps that would be involved with an issue like this.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

it is your friend...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • 94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    dynamik wrote:

it is your friend...

yea, but sometimes the event log is so ambiguous...

It is the first place you should look though.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
    If it isn't within startup check if its part of a scheduled task or check Security Logs with Application logs then you can tell if someone was logged at the same time. Maybe permissions have been locked down and the user trying to run this hasnt got the correct rights.

Is the timing of the errors consistant? IE: Every 30 mins or the same time each day.

This would make me start looking for scripts or scheduled tasks.
    reinstalled the resource toolkit, fixed it.

I guess it's been an issue for 2+ years! icon_eek.gif

Glad you got it sorted, You would be suprised how long people leave things just cause they can get by with how it is icon_lol.gif
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    New job and already solving problems!!!

Congradulations!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    Sie wrote:

Glad you got it sorted, You would be suprised how long people leave things just cause they can get by with how it is icon_lol.gif

I guess they've ask their OLD network guy 3 years ago to do it, then the new networking consultants to do it as well. Neither of them could figure it out! icon_eek.gif
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Sie wrote:

I guess they've ask their OLD network guy 3 years ago to do it, then the new networking consultants to do it as well. Neither of them could figure it out! icon_eek.gif
    Congrats to you for figuring out what they couldn't...wow, just two weeks on the job and you're already proving to them that you're a good hire - good work!! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion