Options

Advice: CCNA-level jobs

gzevsperogzevspero Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice re: my situation from the perspective of a person already in the industry. Here's my story in a nutshell:

I've been doing freelance tech support for the past 5 years (mostly part time during uni), setting up home networks and PC's and such for private customers. Recently I completed my CCNA and started looking for full-time CCNA-level jobs. What I've found is that my freelance experience doesn't really seem to count when it comes to network admin/engineer jobs - even though I have a lot of experience with networking and a CCNA, I don't have real-world Cisco experience, so my resume hasn't been getting past the HR barrier. So I'm considering these three options:

1. Take a lesser job, i.e. helpdesk or desktop support, and hope to grow from within the company. The drawback is in such a job I would probably not be exposed to any Cisco equipment and gain much, if any, experience in the networking field that I'm trying to break into.

2. Continue working freelance and in the meantime try to get the CCNP as quickly as possible. I would also set up a home lab with real secondhand equipment (as opposed to the sims I used for the CCNA), and thereby gain practical experience with the hardware as well. I realize I wouldn't be a candidate for CCNP jobs, but am thinking that maybe a CCNP with my experience + lab work on real Cisco equipment would have a better shot at a CCNA-level job.

3. Try to create an internship for a CCNA-level job. I've found no internships available where I live, but was thinking I could approach companies in my area with my story, and offer my skills+CCNA for a fraction of the pay in exchange for real-world experience. Is this done? And if so, is it realistic of me to expect to get paid at all for an internship they weren't looking for, that I offered (especially given the current economic situation)? If not, would interning for free (while still freelancing for money) be looked upon as selling myself short?

So I'm deliberating between these three options... any advice from the inside would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should definitely be looking for an entry level job like helpdesk or look for internship (I don't know how feasible that is but it doesn't hurt to try).

It most likely would not help your short-term job search to get a CCNP, that said, there's no reason you can't get it anyway and it would be a good thing to have in the long-term. It's doubtful that anyone is going to give someone with no experience in business networks a job configuring them, regardless of your certifications. You have to work your way up.

Good luck with your job hunt!
  • Options
    adam-badam-b Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the Helpdesk/Desktop position ASAP! This will hands down get you the exposure you need to advance your career. Take my situation for instance: One year ago i was hired into a tech support position at a regional wireless company. The second week on the job i asked my boss if it would be ok if i setup some of our spare cisco routers and switches in my cube to play with them on my down/off time. Shortly thereafter i began studying for my CCNA and passed it in August. Not only that but my company sent me to CCNA boot camp. This has all lead to my promotion to Network Admin in which i will be starting January first.

So take it from me; Get an entry level position, show your enthusiasm to learn and doso as much as you can and I promise you that you will go far within your career.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    adam-b wrote:
    Take the Helpdesk/Desktop position ASAP! This will hands down get you the exposure you need to advance your career. Take my situation for instance: One year ago i was hired into a tech support position at a regional wireless company. The second week on the job i asked my boss if it would be ok if i setup some of our spare cisco routers and switches in my cube to play with them on my down/off time. Shortly thereafter i began studying for my CCNA and passed it in August. Not only that but my company sent me to CCNA boot camp. This has all lead to my promotion to Network Admin in which i will be starting January first.

So take it from me; Get an entry level position, show your enthusiasm to learn and doso as much as you can and I promise you that you will go far within your career.

Good Luck!

+1

Couldn't say it any better myself. Without experience your CCNA (or CCNP) doesn't really mean much to a perspective employer. Get in the field and then push for your goal.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    adam-b wrote:

Good Luck!

I will have to second that. I got myself into tech support position with an Internet Service Provider for about 8 months. Then, I got my current job and really have a chance to touch all kinds of routers. It was my experience with the ISP got me my current job. I eventually went for CCNA. Now that I have a saying in hiring, I always look for a candidate who has hands-on experience rather than paper. Don't get me wrong, it would be perfect if the candidate has both but I would prefer hands-on if I were to choose between them.

Best of luck!
    The sky is the limit!