Backup Exec 12.5D

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
They recently upgraded to Backup Exec 12.5D at the company I started at 2 weeks ago.

For some reason the Backup Exec Job Engine keeps stopping. Thus are backups keep failing.
Symantec had us do a repair install, which did not work.

Anyone else have any ideas or the same issue?

Thanks,
Fade

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Need more to go on.

Where in the backup process does it stop. Does it backup anything?

What are you backing up to? Tape? Tried backing up to disk yet just to isolate the problem?
    Good luck to all!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Need more to go on.

Where in the backup process does it stop. Does it backup anything?

What are you backing up to? Tape? Tried backing up to disk yet just to isolate the problem?

Just tape, we have a Sony tape library. It'll run fine one night and the next crap out.

Event Viewer shows:

Faulting application module bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.103, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1433, fault address 0x00015108

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
    (Server: "MARS") (Job: "all-clients-Daily-Backups-Policy-Backup Template 0001") all-clients-Daily-Backups-Policy-Backup Template 0001 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    That dll is a file related to .net framework. Might want to try reinstalling .net framework 2.0, and install all .net 2.0 related service packs and patches.

Was this an in place upgrade over a previous version of Backup Exec keeping the original policies? If so, try recreating the the backup job including selections manually on a new job, and see if that works. I've run into that issue before, tried doing a repair install, etc. Nothing worked until I recreated the backup job from scratch.
    Good luck to all!
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Check firmware & drivers for Tape Drive
    Check firmware for SCSI card.
    What is the error in event viewer.
    Check and make suer the BE has the latest patch.

You might even have to roll back on the tape drivers is possible. I've had to do that before.

Symantec has a pretty good KnowledgeBase for BE.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    cbigbrick wrote:

You might even have to roll back on the tape drivers is possible. I've had to do that before.

We've been on and off the phone with Symantec 938502395348953489 times.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    cbigbrick wrote:

We've been on and off the phone with Symantec 938502395348953489 times.

Can you run the same backup job to a shared folder/drive???? Provided you have the space.

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is there an echo in here? ;)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    OK...you win!!! icon_wink.gif

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Just tape, we have a Sony tape library. It'll run fine one night and the next crap out.

I am in the opening phase of purchasing BE and I remember they salesman told me we have to have a seperate license to have the server backup to tape. Just a wild guess, but if that license is an executable installation, maybe it needs a new version as well.
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Seen the issue on ton of our servers at work. Created a backup job like blargoe said and you should be good.
    Told the SysAdmin. She's all like "well, I'm having someone else look at it...." icon_rolleyes.gif
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    12.5 is absolute crap. We "upgraded" from 12.0 to 12.5 and I've been regretting ever since. Not only did it manage to corrupt the BExec database (rendering every tape I have useless and losing all of my backup jobs) it managed to somehow also grab my Blackberry database and attempt to upgrade it as well. I'm sure you can imagine what happened.

We went an entire month without one successful backup after upgraded; that after doing a completely fresh install. We've just not gotten to the point where backups are working successfully and on a continual basis.

Verdict: AVOID 12.5 AT ALL COSTS!! STICK WITH 12.0
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I installed Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 a few months ago, ive had a few problems, but nothing unsolvable. Besides, symantec reccomend that you install a separate server instance on your SQL server to avoid other databases getting corrupted :)

Try that, see if it helps?

p.s

Running the services separately might isolate the problem. It could be that they keep stopping because another database is stopping the current instance services. I had this problem too ;)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We dropped Symantec and moved to EMC Avamar. No regrets.
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    I will also throw my hat in the ring and say I am not impressed with the usability and what it offers in regards to reporting on jobs. Also, whats up with me not being able to put descriptions on my jobs anymore?! I come from 9.1 in Netware assuming that was just a mundane detail and now with the "latest greatest" I cant? Stuck in a vendor prison as well otherwise they would be gonnnneeeeee!
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |