Options

Need opinions!!

TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, so yesterday I had an interview for an IT job that would be entry level stuff. It would slowly work me into some networking stuff and outside calls rather then staying in the office doing hardware/software stuff. This would be my FIRST IT job.

It is a private family owned company and so far I only think it consists of the boss and his son. Interview I think went ok, but my biggest concern is that benefits are not guaranteed within a certain time period.

My question to you guys are, if they agree to hire me or take me on for any type of work, would it look good if i kept it honest and asked him to put me on part time with payment off the books? I figured it would help me with experience, make a little money and its at no inconveinence to him. The company has been around for 15+ years, the boss is a cool guy, the son seems nice and the vibe seems to be positive within all of us. He's supposed to let me know within a week. I think its a good idea as i need to get my foot in the door and i fell i have nothin big to lose by this proposal. Maybe you guys could just give me an outside eye as to how you see it. THanks.
Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.

Comments

• Options
    Originally I offered him to work for free and just train me, but he insisted on meeting me which is wonderful...its just that the whole benefits deal is drawing me back but the work described is exactly what i need to gain experience. i dont know what to do =/
    Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.
  • Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    Its a good thing theyre letting you in... any experience is better than none...
  • Options
    rubberToerubberToe Inactive Imported Users Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, you don't mind not getting paid as long as they guarantee health care, vision and dental?
  • Options
    rubbertoe:

I offered to work for free when we first talked bc he needed someone with experience but he wanted to meet me for an interview anyway. Of course i want to get paid! lol. I was showing him my initiative and drive to learn.
    Michael

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like a good way to get your foot in the door.

I am a little confused about why you would offer to work for free or under the table and still be concerned about benefits icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    I am concerned about benefits if he decides to hire me for Full Time. Im looking for a job but im not about to leave my current one if theres no benefits. My benefits suck but its better then nothing.

I told them i want at least the same salary I have and I asked them if theres benefits. The benefits seems ify which scares me considering that i take medication.

so to clarify again. I want a full time job with benefits. Im just doing what I can to get my foot in the door, but at the same time I need to protect myself. If he doesnt meet my needs id obviously keep my current job and ask him to train me for a part time offer whether it involves pay or its for free.

Its tough getting called back with no experience in IT. Im doing what i can to help myself.
    Michael