Options

Update : Juniper RE position in Edmonton

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
Just got off the phone with a few other ppl from Juniper and all the interviews have gone really well. I last spoke with the operations manager and he is trying to get me up there on Friday for a meeting with the customer.

From the looks of it, and from the feedback on the interviews, I definitely feel like they have chosen me for the job!

I'm going to Canada baby!
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aldur wrote:

You have my condolences icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Aldur wrote:

You have my condolences icon_sad.gif

hahaha, ahh c'mon dynamik, don't beat around the bush, tell me how your really feel :D

-Bender
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    haha good work! If its a go, when do you think you might be here? I'm still pretty new to Alberta myself, and could always use company for snowboarding/snowshoeing/mountian biking ;)
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Welcome to Canada, you won't regret it :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like you're a go, but good luck with the final interview!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i just hope you like the cold. Congrats on somewhat finally nailing a job down! Really hope this one comes through!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    <sarcasm>Yeah, moving from Utah to Canada is only going to be a minor change in climate.</sarcasm>
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Just got a call back and I have been offered the job! Now it's just about working out the formalities, wage and things like that.
    GT-Rob wrote:
    haha good work! If its a go, when do you think you might be here? I'm still pretty new to Alberta myself, and could always use company for snowboarding/snowshoeing/mountian biking ;)

That would be awesome GT-Rob, I definitely need to get back into doing some type of physical activity :) And my tentitive start date will be Jan. 5th. Not bad considering I started these interviews for the 2 days ago :D

Also, I grew up in Wyoming and have seen winters in the -40 degrees F, so I think I can handle the cold. My wife on the other hand will need to wrap up in a electric blanket for most of the year :D

-Bender
  • Options
    The cold really isn't as bad as people make it sound. There is about a month of stupid cold (right around the time you get here) but then its not bad. It was 55deg F last February for almost the whole month. I notice more that it is really dry here (compared to near the great lakes).

In fact, Edmonton is the exact same temperature as salt lake city today.

Anyway, congrats! Don't be afraid to ask for a lot, the economy here is really strong.
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote:
    The cold really isn't as bad as people make it sound. There is about a month of stupid cold (right around the time you get here) but then its not bad. It was 55deg F last February for almost the whole month. I notice more that it is really dry here (compared to near the great lakes).

In fact, Edmonton is the exact same temperature as salt lake city today.

Anyway, congrats! Don't be afraid to ask for a lot, the economy here is really strong.

That's good to hear about the cold, I can handle a few months of crappy cold so I'm not to worried :D

Also, that's awesome to hear that the economy is doing good there, I'm really torn on what I should ask for, from the sounds of it I should shoot high, really high :D

-Bender
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

Hope the shooting high works out great for you icon_thumright.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Aldur wrote:
    Just got a call back and I have been offered the job! Now it's just about working out the formalities, wage and things like that.

Congrats! I noticed this in your previous job posts as well, is it common where you're from to negotiate wages after being offered the job?

In my experience, once there is mutual interest, salary is discussed. Because if you aren't agreeable on a salary then there is no point to continuing the interview process. I would never interview for a job for which I didn't know the salary or at least a defined salary range.

Anyhow, good luck! :D
  • Options
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    Aldur wrote:

Congrats! I noticed this in your previous job posts as well, is it common where you're from to negotiate wages after being offered the job?

In my experience, once there is mutual interest, salary is discussed. Because if you aren't agreeable on a salary then there is no point to continuing the interview process. I would never interview for a job for which I didn't know the salary.

Thanks for the congrats everybody.

I've had interviews where salary is discussed before anything starts and job interviews where salary isn't discussed till after they have decided they want you. I've always been told that its best to hold off on discussing salary until the very end since this makes the company's investment in you greater which makes them more flexible.

-Bender
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Aldur wrote:
    I've had interviews where salary is discussed before anything starts and job interviews where salary isn't discussed till after they have decided they want you. I've always been told that its best to hold off on discussing salary until the very end since this makes the company's investment in you greater which makes them more flexible.
    I agree with you on this Aldur, as long as both parties feel they are in the same ballpark. Congrats on the job, if I end up in Edmonton next spring/summer (pretty likely) I'll ring you up.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Aldur wrote:
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    Aldur wrote:

In my experience, once there is mutual interest, salary is discussed. Because if you aren't agreeable on a salary then there is no point to continuing the interview process. I would never interview for a job for which I didn't know the salary.

Thanks for the congrats everybody.

I guess everybody is different. Generally speaking, you want to at least make sure you're in the same ballpark before you invest much time and energy during the interview process. If you're looking for 100K and the highest they can go is 60K, then you got your hopes up for nothing. I would at least want to have an understanding on salary range for the position after solid mutual interest is established.

I could be wrong, but I think this saves a lot of heartache.
  • Options
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    I guess everybody is different. Generally speaking, you want to at least make sure you're in the same ballpark before you invest much time and energy during the interview process. If you're looking for 100K and the highest they can go is 60K, then you got your hopes up for nothing. I would at least want to have an understanding on salary range for the position after solid mutual interest is established.

I could be wrong, but I think this saves a lot of heartache.
    Yeah that's what I was getting at, if your both in the same range put it on the back burner, otherwise you might be in for a surprise (could be good or bad, likely to be the latter). ;)
  • Options
    yup, I can see what your talking about. I think with this position here, being a Juniper position, I know the ball park of the possible salary and they know I know it. So there won't be any surprises there.

astorrs, if you make it over to Edmonton next spring definitely give me a ring.

-Bender
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cool.gif

Aboot how long before you move, eh? :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Canada isn't bad....try to relocate to Calgary (close to Edmonton) and you'll be in a much better city, Edmonton is somewhat.....let's just say it's not Toronto.... icon_lol.gif
    mikej412 wrote:

icon_eek.gif mike is surely certified in all things beginning with C, who would have guessed he has CAN status and is a CDN.... icon_lol.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Take off, eh? You hoser.
  • Options
    Don't forget your toque eh!

Also, once you get here, you will be wanting to visit vancouver faster than anyone will be coming to Edmonton! :P
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Also, once you get here, you will be wanting to visit vancouver faster than anyone will be coming to Edmonton! :P
    bowing.gif
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Congratulations!! icon_cool.gif

lol, I'm sure I'll get really good and using "eh" correctly :D

But they're looking at starting me on Jan. 5th

-Bender
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote:

so whats so special about vancouver?

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote:
    Well it's pretty unique for a city in North America (no urban concrete sprawl) - check out Vancouverism - and it's consistently ranked in the top cities in the world, in 2008 Vienna inched past us so we're down to #4.

There was a good NY Times article a while back too.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur,

Congrats mate. Glad the hard work paid off! good times are ahead. best of luck mate! Enjoy canada!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :) That's awesome news!!!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Aldur wrote:
    GT-Rob wrote:

It's not Toronto! oh, and they're pretty much the only place that actually rains more than London, England. Plus cheap travel to Las Vegas, so lots of opportunities for you to blow away your new found fortune... icon_lol.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Aldur wrote:
    GT-Rob wrote:

It's not Toronto! oh, and they're pretty much the only place that actually rains more than London, England. Plus cheap travel to Las Vegas, so lots of opportunities for you to blow away your new found fortune... icon_lol.gif

Let us not forget the warm Pacific breezes..
  • Options
    Ya Van gets like 2 days of snow a decade. You have ocean on one side, rocky mountains on the other. Other than the rain, it doesn't get much better.

Alberta is fun though. Heres a picture I took this morning.

skihu5.jpg