Options

CCNA : starting from scratch

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Hi:

I'm a student. I received a college diploma in Business Admin - Information Systems. I will also receive an University degree in Information Technology Management by next summer.

Throughout school, we learned the basics of networking such as OSI model, different types of wires, network layouts, and such. I have taken a Network Administration course. Besides from these courses, I have taken other IT courses such as Managing Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Project Management, Visual Basics, Business Process Redesigning, SQL 2005, etc. However, I don't have any knowledge to CISCO equipments and i'm really interested in registering for a CCNA program.

Do you think I need solid industry experience in computer networking to understand Cisco?
http://db2.centennialcollege.ca/ce/certdetail.php?CertificateCode=7390

As you can see from the link above, it begins from CCNA 1 to CCNA 4. Based on my previous education and knowledge, do you think i'll be able to handle this program? Or do I really need work experience. This is a CCNA program that I would like to complete but not sure if i'll write the actual CCNA exams.

Thank you
Any comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    go for it. Download packet tracer when you get to the academy and have at it. its easier than you think
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cisco starts with the CCENT and then you move onto the CCNA. Both of which you should be able to earn without any experience.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Hello guys, I am also currently thinking of going into ccna but not sure if to start ccent first. I am basically at 70% with A+ certification so do you think its possible to start also studying for ccent?? or go straight for ccna?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darian929 wrote:
    do you think its possible to start also studying for ccent?? or go straight for ccna?
    If you're just starting out with certifications, you may as well take the 2 exam option since it now costs the same as the single exam CCNA. While it's an extra trip to the exam center, it's also an extra certification to put on your resume -- the CCENT and the CCNA.

If you don't mind spending the money, the CompTIA Network+ could also be useful if you don't already have any networking experience. There should be some overlap on the basic networking knowledge with the CCENT, so it would help make sure you have a solid networking foundation.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    So you would recommend I start the Network + while i finish the A+ ... and then if I pass the network and A+ to go for ccent and ccna?
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    hey Darian929

I was thinking about doing A+ and Network+ before doing CCNA

But, I feel that A+ has nothing much to do with networking. I think as long as you have some basic understanding of computers and know some technical terms, we should be fine. If you come from a technical background, we should be able to handle CCNA.

Network+ is a good start. But if you have taken networking courses throughout school, i dont think we need to go through that in order to handle CCNA.

Take some CCNA courses at school before taking the CCNA real exam. Thats my plan.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darian929 wrote:
    So you would recommend I start the Network + while i finish the A+
    If you have the time to study and you don't want to burn out on the A+ material, then it could make some sense.

If your study time is limited, then you may just want to focus on one exam at a time.

You have to balance getting bored with studying just one thing and staying focused and finishing what you started.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    You know I'll be honest, I am really lost in networking so i better start ordering that network+ book and hit it hard, Most terms that people talk about here I dont even know what they mean, OSI layers, subnetting.... im lost with all of that, I basically know user computer related things, how to fix them and troubleshoot some stuff but thats about it. So i'll take Network+ then go into CCNA.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Darian929 wrote:
    You know I'll be honest, I am really lost in networking so i better start ordering that network+ book and hit it hard, Most terms that people talk about here I dont even know what they mean, OSI layers, subnetting.... im lost with all of that, I basically know user computer related things, how to fix them and troubleshoot some stuff but thats about it. So i'll take Network+ then go into CCNA.

Little steps and don't get initimidated by all the jargon or by how much other people may seem to know. If you start off a subject by thinking about what it does on the whole, it is easier to get your head around it. The N+/CCNA books are specifically designed to take you through this learning process which everyone goes through at the start.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Yea I better learn how to crawl before I walk lol anyways I know its probably been asked a bunch of times but whats a good book to learn network+.... i saw the recommended one of the exam cram one which I like but its from 2005... the test hasnt changed?