Options

During The Exam...

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm taking the exam tomorrow and the testing center gives you something to write on incase you need it. I am planning on writing some things on the paper (such as types of RAID, copying vs. moving files and folders, etc.) before I start the exam, just so I won't have to keep it in my brain. :) Any input as to other quick notes I should write down that might be useful during the test?
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Uh, know your backup types. Copy vs Normal. Differential vs Incrimental. But I dunno if that's worth writing down.. maybe.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Share vs. ntfs permissions. Know which options are under each and what each option does/does not allow.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've never tried the writing knowledge method for a test before but I would imagine that the most useful way to use it would be to write out everything that you had to cram just before hand that you are not confident in your knowledge of. If you're confident in NTFS then there really isn't a reason to write it out. If you're confident in shares then no reason to write that out either. If you're shaky on backups then perhaps you should write out what you know about that. Best of luck tomorrow to you!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ladyfoxladyfox Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My testing center always gives you blank paper, usually 2 sheets.

For my last exams I have scribbled down a few things that were in my head, such as the formula i use for IP addressing and subnetting and the subnet classes (A, B & C) so I can just refer to them if i need them without having to recall the information.

Cant think of anything to advise you on as only you know what your strengths and weaknesses are, but do make lots of notes on anything you are unclear on - i find writing it down helps to stick it in my memory. Good luck with the exam!
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm getting ready to leave for the testing center here in a few minutes.

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    good luck! Hope it goes/went well!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Thanks! It did go well. I got an 820! :)

• Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217

congrats
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass. What's up next for you?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260

Congratulations Johnny!! :D I scheduled to take the test tomorrow. Can you give me any "last minute" advice?
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    gravyjoe wrote:

Congratulations Johnny!! :D I scheduled to take the test tomorrow. Can you give me any "last minute" advice?

Thanks! :)

Be familiar with backup types (differential, incremental, daily, copy, etc.) and permissions (NTFS and share). Also, in one of the sims I had, they had a group that was set as a distribution group, it may have caught me off guard if another user on the forums hadn't warned me about it. I had to change the group type to security. There was a question or two on RAID, so know the difference between RAID 0, 1, and 5, and the minimum number of disks required for each. My exam also had a few questions on Task Manager, System Monitor, Alerts (and when you would use them). I think I had 26 multiple choice questions and 4 simulations. In one simulation I had two domains, Europe and Asia, and had to add users from the Europe domain into a global group that was in an OU in the Asia domain. I wasn't quite sure how to do it, so I don't know if I got that one right or not.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

• Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass. What's up next for you?

Thank you! I'm going to take it easy for a few weeks and then start preparing for "The Beast".

• Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Thanks for the heads up Johnny! Your post is very helpful. I'd be very happy if I scored an 820 tomorrow!
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.