Options

Connection two cisco routers.

miclchmiclch Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay, here it goes:
I am taking my CCNA hopefully this weekend and I still have not figured out how to connect this two routers.
I have Cisco 2507 and Cisco 2511.
I tried to connect this two routers through one of the hub of 16 from the Cisco 2507, through an Ethernet cable, into one of those adapters that in connected to AUI of the Cisco 2511.

It does not seems to work.
Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it a known good working straight through cable (since the ports on the 2507 act as a hub)?

Do you have link integrity lights?

Did you no shut both interfaces? Are they "up and up?" Which interfaces did you configure?

Are they on the same subnet? What address did you use. What address are you trying to ping?

What's your configuration?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    miclch wrote:
    Okay, here it goes:
    I am taking my CCNA hopefully this weekend and I still have not figured out how to connect this two routers.
    I tried to connect this two routers through one of the hub of 16 from the Cisco 2507, through an Ethernet cable, into one of those adapters that in connected to AUI of the Cisco 2511.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

I dont really understand what you are saying but if you dont know how to connect two routers, I suggest you dont take the ccna this weekend.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    phoeneous wrote:
    ....if you dont know how to connect two routers, I suggest you dont take the ccna this weekend.

+1
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote:
    if you dont know how to connect two routers, I suggest you dont take the ccna this weekend.
    +1

Good catch! I was thinking that too, but forgot to mention it.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your advice and suggestion, I am thinking that too. However, I heard that ppl would pass CCNA without even touching the routers, because they studies simulations questions. I do not know about that.

Anyway.

Is it a known good working straight through cable (since the ports on the 2507 act as a hub)?
    It is an Ethernet cable.
    Cisco 2507 = into one of the 16 hubs Ethernet
    Cisco 2511 = into a transceiver of AUI.

Do you have link integrity lights?
    No

Did you no shut both interfaces? Are they "up and up?" Which interfaces did you configure?
    I configured Ethernet 0 on both. Both of them said the link is up, but protocol is down.

Are they on the same subnet? What address did you use. What address are you trying to ping? Cisco 2507 = ip address 176.20.16.10 255.255.255.0
    Cisco 2511 = ip address 176.20.16.11 255.255.255.0

What's your configuration? Just a simple configuration above, including no shutdown of course.

I think I kind of figured out the problem, Can I connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port of Cisco 2507 to the transceiver of AUI on Cisco 2511?
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    miclch wrote:
    It is an Ethernet cable.
    Cisco 2507 = into one of the 16 hubs Ethernet
    Cisco 2511 = into a transceiver of AUI.

There are straight through ethernet cables, sometimes called patch cables, and crossover ethernet cables. You have to make sure you're using a straight through cable.
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    If the 2507 ports act as hub ports, the 2511's interface would have to be set for half duplex, no?
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    miclch wrote:
    Okay, here it goes:

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

miclch,

What kind of "Ethernet cable" are you using to connect the two? Straight Through or Crossover?
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    miclch wrote:
    I configured Ethernet 0 on both. Both of them said the link is up, but protocol is down.

Line up, protocol down. Make sure both routers are using the same protocol (RIP or PPP)

oops my bad!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    miclch wrote:

Line up, protocol down. Make sure both routers are using the same protocol (RIP or PPP)

Since it's ethernet you don't need to set the encapsulation.

I would suspect the AUI Ethernet transceiver.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

You do know RIP is a routing protocol and not a link layer protocol right? Also as dt stated its ethernet so you don't have to worry about setting encapsulation...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    I would suspect the AUI Ethernet transceiver.
    +1

There are usually a couple of switches you can set and some LEDs with Labels.

My transceivers look like they are set to Link enable and SQE enable.

What LEDs are lit and what are the labels?

Make sure the transceiver is firmly installed and locked into position with that sliding clip that should be on the AUI port connector on the router.
    miclch wrote:
    I heard that ppl would pass CCNA without even touching the routers, because they studies simulations questions.
    We have a 60% failure rate on a simple technical phone interview for CCNAs. Some people actively work to find out what the simulation questions are on the exam and that's all they learn to do -- they may pass the CCNA exam but they usually don't make it past a job interview.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help..

Alright, I am using a cable with RJ45 connectors, from the AUI transceiver of the Cisco 2511 to one of the hubs in Cisco 2507.

The AUI transceiver has SQE button, of on or off. What should I choose?
    The transceiver has 4 lights, Rx, TX, COL, and Link. only the TC light is on and it's green.

The ethernet hub lights is not on no matter where I plugged in the rj-45 cable to.

About the protocol, how do I set up the protocol?

Also, how do you configure AUI ports? Are AUI ports Ethernet ports too?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    miclch wrote:
    Thanks for all the help..

Alright, I am using a cable with RJ45 connectors, from the AUI transceiver of the Cisco 2511 to one of the hubs in Cisco 2507.

The AUI transceiver has SQE button, of on or off. What should I choose?
    The transceiver has 4 lights, Rx, TX, COL, and Link. only the TC light is on and it's green.

The ethernet hub lights is not on no matter where I plugged in the rj-45 cable to.

About the protocol, how do I set up the protocol?

Also, how do you configure AUI ports? Are AUI ports Ethernet ports too?

Thanks again.

Are you actually taking the exam THIS WEEKEND?

Asking these sort of questions - you really aren't ready for the exam and you will fail.

£0.02
  • Options
    Thanks for all your advice..

I am thinking of POSTPONING my test this weekend, let's see how much studying i can get done.

You guys are right, the problem is the cable.. I think I have used a different type of cable. i think i used a straight through cable, instead of the crossover cable i am using right now.

Got it work!
  • Options
    Shoot.. Sorry, i was wrong.
    I was using a crossover cable, which was wrong. and i am using the right straight through cable.
    Since CISCO 2507 using a 16 port hubs, so, it should be straight through..
  • Options
    miclch wrote:
    If the hub light is not on, you don't have link integrity. So you haven't ruled out a bad cable or transceiver yet.

Since you don't have a link light on the transceiver either, try a different Ethernet cable. Did you make sure the transceiver is seated properly?

As I said, my link and sqe switches seem to be set to enable -- but if you only have sqe, then you only have two options to try.

The AUI port is your Ethernet 0. And I think the internal Ehternet port that lets the 2507 talk to other devices plugged into the hub is also Ethernet 0. You haven't posted a config but said you have a simple configuration on them and that you have executed the no shut command -- which should bring the ports to the "up up" state if everything else is good.

Have you tried plugging your pc/laptop into a 2507 hub port and checking to see if you get a link integrety light? Without seeing a configuration from the 2507 we are just assuming that those hub ports are enabled.

To summarize -- we don't know if its a correct working straight-through cable. We don't know if a working properly configured and installed transceiver. We don't know for sure that the correct ports really are configured and enabled (since we haven't seen a configuration).