Options

Wireless Internet Connection Setup?

rehman414rehman414 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a wireless Network setup, with a modem and D-link router. All my wireless laptops can connect to this network.
My Desktop PC is placed in a room without an internet outlet but I have another D-link router setup to the desktop.
My desktop does not have any sort of wireless card. I need help connecting my Desktop with the second router, to my pre-configured wireless connection.
Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    photexphotex Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why not buy a PCI wireless network card.
    Very cheap icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    You have a nice collection of certs, are you sure you cant answer this one yourself
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    You have a nice collection of certs, are you sure you cant answer this one yourself

hmm..

But I guess I would speculate you can turn off DHCP on the router near the desktop computer and have it act as a bridge to the other router.

PCI Wireless card can be had for $10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166021
  • Options
    or maybe he wants to know if the wireless router next to the PC can pick up the signal from the other wireless router and thus giving the PC a connection, does that even make sense icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would connect the a LAN ethernet port on the wireless router to a LAN port on the router with the desktop. This will make it act as a switch. Just make sure you disable DHCP on the router with the desktop
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    I would connect the a LAN ethernet port on the wireless router to a LAN port on the non-wireless. This will make it act as a switch. Just make sure you disable DHCP on the non-wireless router

Exactly ;)
  • Options
    is it even possible to do what I said, use a wireless router hardwired to a PC and get a signal from another wireless router?
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    is it even possible to do what I said, use a wireless router hardwired to a PC and get a signal from another wireless router?

Yeah, works just like a wireless Access Point.

Router A (Wireless/DHCP enabled) sends signal to Router B receives wireless signal > PC hardwired into switch is online. ;)
  • Options
    I think thats what this guy is asking