Options

Enterprise Level Anti-virus?

paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
So what do you guys use for enterprise level anti-virus? Our Symantec Corporate Edition here is about to expire in 50 days, and I can't wait to get rid of it.

I was looking at ESET NOD32 for Small & Medium Business. I'm an ESET fan since I use it at home and they have a great reputation.

Remote administration for centrally managing the clients is a MUST.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Everywhere I've worked at so far has been using Trendmicro. It seems to work pretty good but gets a little bit temperamental if it has communication issues with the server.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We use kespersky. It has a server software to manage the clients remotely if needed. It updates everyday and you an have it scan anytime of the day. It does a pretty good job at finding viruses and notifies you immediatly.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Everywhere I've worked at so far has been using Trendmicro. It seems to work pretty good but gets a little bit temperamental if it has communication issues with the server.

Do they sell anti-virus separately? Looks to me like its a firewall/anti-virus combo which we don't need.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    We're using ESET at my current job, and it has all the same features as most other enterprise-grade AV systems. You can manage updates through a central console, find machines in AD, and choose from a variety of deployment methods, etc. So far, I've been very impressed with the amount of features they've packed into the software.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    We use Symantec Endpoint Protection for all of the networks we manage. It has centralized reporting and control for every feature. The server program gives you charts and graphs for all the tracked parameters. I don't personally like Symantec products much, but it's pretty convenient for a network.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have CA, Symantec and Avast out there in many different forms. CA is heading dor the dumpster ASAP and Symantec Endpoint will be our standard.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    We use Trend. It's got some pretty cool features, and management is a breeze. (Transferring clients from the old AV server to the new one was literally two clicks) There is a firewall component, but I believe it's disabled by default. (We keep ours off)
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    No one uses McAfee anymore?
  • Options
    rfult001 wrote:

Not a fan.

On a side note... do you guys think these comparisons hold any true unbiased value?

http://www.eset.com/products/compare-NOD32-vs-competition.php
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    We use kespersky. It has a server software to manage the clients remotely if needed. It updates everyday and you an have it scan anytime of the day. It does a pretty good job at finding viruses and notifies you immediatly.

+1 on this 1.

I use it at home.
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Buy ESETs Software. I would have loved it compared to what we have (Sophos). Sophos has so many problems, i cant begin to tell you them.

I use ESET at home too, its amazing, in no way does it effect your computers performance and its so fast at detecting viruses, plus its so simple to use. A++++ for ESET!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    paintb4707 wrote:
    On a side note... do you guys think these comparisons hold any true unbiased value?

very little. Have you looked into ClamAV? It works great on Linux, the Windows version can't be too bad.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ESET NOD32

It gets my stamp of approval.

Take a look at http://www.av-comparatives.org

Independent AV review. NOD32 is consistently in the top. Server and workstations get the same client which makes admin a lot easier.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    rfult001 wrote:

Not a fan.

Nope. One of my guys did some in depth research and found a few different surveys from people that were not affiliated to any of the AV companies - the results are way different.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At my old job we used to deploy ePO. The ePO changed versions and became all web based. I really hated it after that
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote:
    We're using ESET at my current job, and it has all the same features as most other enterprise-grade AV systems. You can manage updates through a central console, find machines in AD, and choose from a variety of deployment methods, etc. So far, I've been very impressed with the amount of features they've packed into the software.

Same here.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    My employer is a Symantec partner, and Symantec Endpoint Protection has been very problematic. I hate their AV products.

If I had my choice, it would be Forefront Client Security. It's too bad it's so expensive.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    RussS wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:
    rfult001 wrote:

Not a fan.

Nope. One of my guys did some in depth research and found a few different surveys from people that were not affiliated to any of the AV companies - the results are way different.

If you had anything still laying around i would be interested in seeing it. everything i have ever seen puts eset near the top, if not at the top. I have recommended that our shop move to recommending Eset at all levels based on this and personal experience. If I am wrong I would like to know!

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rfult001 wrote:

Yeah 2000 PC environment, Macafee Enterprise + EPolicy Orchestrator
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    McAfee/EPO here as well.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nobody using Sophos?

Used that before now - fantastic Management Console and deployment options.

Think they were going to look at NAC clients in the next version too. (i.e. out of date clients would not be allowed to connect to the network until the virus signatures were up to date)
  • Options
    photexphotex Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Were using F-secure.
    I'm dutch, so I don't know if any of you ever heard of it icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    TrendMicro is the one we use at our work.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SAV 9/10 for Servers, Sophos on all clients.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    McAfee with ePolicy Orchesstrator, Quarantine manager & Spam Appliane. Currently working on upgrade to ePolicy. YUCK!!!!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    malcybood wrote:
    rfult001 wrote:

Yeah 2000 PC environment, Macafee Enterprise + EPolicy Orchestrator

Mcafee here as will & we are Huuuuuge - worldwide "250K PCs ++"
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'll throw another vote out there for Trendmicro. Works great.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    SOPHOS rocks!! It is the best AV out there. As a IT consultant I manage multiple enterprise level AV systems and Sophos beats them all. Its great to be able to manage all of my servers; unix, linux, apple, windows, and Solaris from 1 console with an OU structure. And they don't beat you up on price.

By the way do you know what "Cisco" Ironport spam appliance uses as it AV. You guested it... Sophos!! http://www.ironport.com/technology/sophos_anti-virus.html
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I've seen installs of Trend Micro, McAfee, Sophos, Symantec and F-Secure.

Each has their own little "value added features" (after all you didn't have to pay for them icon_wink.gif)

Trend Micro - We had major issues with this and spent two weeks on the phone to their dev team fixing an issue after they released an upgrade. It is one of the Citrix approved brands hence why it was used in this environment. It is a little clunky and detection is a shade poor for my liking. The management is not the best by a long shot. As an FYI, I worked for a Trend reseller and archived Trend Level 3 Certified Expert (my god that was about 7 years ago now) so I don't like having to say this.

McAfee - This is our current internal corporate standard and we support a couple of installs for clients. The new EPO is OK and if you get someone in from one of the high end partners to talk about the policy configurations it really helps make this beast work for you. Once you have the knowledge you can re-apply this time and time again.

Sophos - Lots of issues with the management. On the up side it has high detection ratios and even flagged 0 day viruses. Most people that we have seen using this have been ripping it out (choice is often random amongst those here).

Symantec - We use this in our hosting environment. It was a simple next, next, finish install and it worked for years without issue. We have recently attempted an upgrade to the new End Point Protection and it has blown up in spectacular style. Detection has been OK, but it has had very little to do and can often run away with CPU and Memory. The management is easy but takes a little clicking around to find everything you need.

F-Secure - Well from past experience this is one of the most through products on the market, 3 AV engines man! However, with the high detection ratios CPU and Memory are hit very heavily and the management was a little difficult last time that I used it.

I would really like to get an install of NOD, it is what I use here (at home) icon_cool.gif and is by far the most light weight product I have ever installed. The detection is awesome and easily a match for F-Secure and KAV without the heavy scanning. I was a big fan of KAV for many years but NOD blew me away last year and it is where I have been ever since.

Obviously these are my personal experiences and others may have had better or worse experiences but I hope this helps.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We had 3 Major "worldwide" virus outbreaks when we were using Sopohs, every one was happy when it was replaced.