Options

Time Management

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone got advice on time management? i know i could google (and will do) but i would also like to hear it from reliable people on these boards.

Since i got promoted a few months ago my workload has increased dramatically (i said workload not paypacket ;)) and whilst doing that im still doing uni PT (however i do 90% of the same as the FT students) and trying to study the NP not only so i can eventually gain the NP but also to improve my networking skills in my new network role. At the moment because of work / uni im finding that i cant fit things in for my NP and my gf dont forget!!! haha. but not only that im starting to have trouble doing tasks when i should because other things get in the way especially for work / uni.

So could anyone recommend any good resources for time management? Tips, techniques etc. i would prefer stuff off the web for free but would be more than happy to buy a book or two if its going to help my issues!

Thanks Guys.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    my tip: don't waste your time reading a book!

haha jk. Obviously if it helps it is worth it. I have found my best organization tool is a huge desktop calender I hang on my wall beside my desk, and I try to plan my entire month at once. For example, I will write all of my 'study sessions' in based on my monthly goal (say, 80hrs or so). Then also schedule in personal things like trips, and I even write in when I plan to rent/watch a movie. It also helps I live with my GF, so 'studying' is also spending time with her :D
  • Options
    skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    It also helps I live with my GF, so 'studying' is also spending time with her :D

Your kind of studying with her is not included in Microsoft's certifications. :)
  • Options
    Ive heard alot about that book indeed. One of the guys has it at work...im just waiting for him to bring it in for me! ;)

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think it's less about time management, and more about prioritizing and getting/keeping yourself organized. No one system is going to work for all. My husband's strategies drive me batty (because to me it seems like his "system" is all in his head), and he considers mine completely **** retentive, but we each do what works for us.

My husband's former employer FORCED him to go to a priority management course, and he absolutely hated it. They actually sent someone to his office a couple weeks after the seminar to follow up and look at his priority management datebook to make sure he was following "the program" - icon_eek.gif ?! Sounds a little too culty to me!!

I use Outlook calendar for work organization, and a little bit for personal organization too. I don't use the calendar for appointments, but more as a daily task list - I make fake appointments to do different tasks, blocking out the approx amount of time that the task will take me. Then I can drag the different tasks around to earlier/later in the day so I can get them organized in priority or time-critical order. And if the task doesn't get done that day, it's easy to drag it over to another day. (I've never been in a position with lots of corporate type meetings, although if there are meetings or places I need to be I've included those on my calendar as well to keep me from forgetting.) You can also use the built in task list to do some of this stuff, but I find the features limiting and prefer to do it by "appointment" instead. I use the task list for long term or recurring tasks that aren't high priority but still need to be done.

I haven't read the "Time Management for System Adminstrators" but I did do a quick perusal of a few sections on google-books, and it seems like it's a good book. It offers some solid tips that are easily applicable - just one quick example is keeping a pen/paper by your bed so you can jot things down as you're falling asleep to get them off your mind & to make sure you actually remember them the next day. The books seems more focused on offering real world solutions targeted towards techies with a lot on their plate, whereas other priority/time management stuff seems a lot less detailed and more aimed at business-types. (Although I do think that it should be very common sense that you need to stay off video games & IM programs if you need to get work done, those things should really go without saying.) In general it seems a lot less "floofy" than things like "7 habits of highly effective people" or "who moved my cheese." To me, the stuff in those books seem kinda like common sense and I think it's strange that people need to be told to prioritize and be proactive, or "move with the cheese" & "let go of old cheese" icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I think you should set realistic goals and plan ahead. you have a lot of things to do at the same time, looks like you need to plan things again
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Time management and prioritising are very unappreciated and valuable life skills to have. It takes a bit of time to come up with your own preferred way but you must stick to your rules regardless once you have made them and as much as someone would want you to do something for them right now, you have to be ready to push back and say no. You don’t need to explain yourself or be confrontational about it. Just say you have other things to do right now and suggest a time when you can do it… even if it is an hour you have set aside for yourself each day to study or even if it is only your lunch break… You’ll find people start respecting you more as it shows you are in control of your duties and your job.

Write things down – this really helps keeping track of your workload (pen and paper preferred for ease of note taking). Importantly, write down enough detail (including reference numbers, names and phone numbers) so that you can then forget all about the task until it is time to actually carry it out. Then you can just have a quick read through your notes and get going. Doing this stops your nagging brain going round and around. Also a good tip for when you cannot sleep. Get up, little food and light drink and write down all on your mind… You nod straight off after.

I remember in my early days I had a very good lesson in priority. We had an occasion where 50 users couldn’t connect to email. I was surprised at how unbothered my boss was by this and I got a bit headless chicken about it. He took me to one side and then explained to me that we looked after 5,500 users and the other 99.1% of those users were working fine.

There is another real eye opener I had regarding people who come in early and work late and who always seem to be busy. I used to be like this until someone asked me a question that changed the way I work completely. There was me thinking I was being contentious and helpful but then someone asked me “What is wrong with you that you cannot get your work done in normal working hours?”. Now when people try **** extra work on me, that I would normally accept just to be helpful but isn’t really my responsibility, I push it back on them. Amazing how much time you start getting back to do your real job.
    Kam.
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote:
    I think you should set realistic goals and plan ahead. you have a lot of things to do at the same time, looks like you need to plan things again

Yes, i definately realise this. Which is why ive started to finish work at the correct time, then come home and do uni work for X hours. Then depending on how i feel - do some light reading on the bcmsn. I think if i chop and change the material i am studying througout the week then at least i'll make steady progress on all area's but i have decided to make the NP more of a secondary target until i finish my 4 year degree. Saying that if i could knock out the Bcmsn in the next 6 months i would be more than happy at the moment. Thankfully i am in a job where i am working with cisco kit on a regular basis so at least my cisco studies arent coming to a complete halt.
    kaminsky wrote:
    There is another real eye opener I had regarding people who come in early and work late and who always seem to be busy. I used to be like this until someone asked me a question that changed the way I work completely. There was me thinking I was being contentious and helpful but then someone asked me “What is wrong with you that you cannot get your work done in normal working hours?”. Now when people try **** extra work on me, that I would normally accept just to be helpful but isn’t really my responsibility, I push it back on them. Amazing how much time you start getting back to do your real job.

Have to say, that is quite an eye opener. Ive found this happens a ton since i moved from being desktop support/sys admin. Anything plugged into the network has suddenly become my responsibility even though im officially only responsible for routers/switches etc.

Thanks Kam, i think i'll keep that sentence at the front of my mind.

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kaminsky wrote:

Kam hit the nail on the head there. Certain people always try to **** their stress / workload on to other people if they're feeling under pressure. At all costs don't accept it or they'll do it time and time again and if you are "made" to accept it make sure you set their expectations as to a realistic time frame to complete the work.

Prioritisation of tasks is a large part of time management and if you prioritise, then set the expectations of people realistically (even for your own work) you will find things alot easier. As opposed to people asking if you have completed something constantly, you will find yourself going to them either to;

a) say "I've completed / finished this task you requested to be done"

or

b) "I've been unable to complete the task you requested to be done due to.....task b, c & d taking priority" (advise as soon as you know there may be a problem)

In my experience both of the above have worked very well. It's about communicating with people and not commiting to something or a timescale you can't keep.

This is something that really grates me if it happens consistently i.e. with suppliers promising to get things done by certain dates and delivering it 2, 3, 4 weeks after!!! If we are told to expect it to happen in up to 4 weeks, yes it's probably an unacceptable timescale but that's the story and we know about it - no rabbits pulled out of hats one or two days before a deadline.

I heard a phrase early in my career that has always stuck relating to time management and completing tasks, very simple "under promise - over deliver" i.e. "I'll complete that by Friday" even if you know it will be done by Thursday. This doesn't apply to everything as there's always exceptions in relation to critical tasks etc but it does apply to most operational tasks in my experience.

HTH