VMWare Workstation on Server 2k8

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
Will VMWare Workstation work on a Windows Server 2008 host? Would I be better off just sticking with Hyper-V instead, which I have heard mixed reviews over?

VMWare has a 40% off student discount that I was planning on taking advantage of it.
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-V should do all you need; I don't think I'd purchase Workstation in that scenario. I do like Workstation a lot though.

I think it'll work. Why don't you download the 30-day trial and see how you like it and how it performs.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would but it would be for a new system I am planning on building to train on so I dont have it yet. I wanted to get plenty of practice with 2k8 which is why I wanted to use it for my host OS. I am still trying to understand Hyper-V but that will probably be easier once I start using it.
    WGU PROGRESS

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's not any more complicated than Workstation; both are pretty straight-forward. I run Hyper-V on my 2008 Server machine, and I run Workstation on my Vista laptop. A lot of other people here use Hyper-V as well.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great, thanks for your advice. I look forward to trying it out. Best part is it saves me about $120. I think I will put that money towards an exam. :D
    WGU PROGRESS