Options

New Build Suggestion

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am building a new system to do some Server 2008 training on and I decided to go with the Thermaltake Mozart Tx chassis http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1274&ID=1415

The chassis has the option of a secondary Mini ITX system inside so I am looking for some suggestions on what I should use that secondary system for.

Any ideas?

ThermaltakeMozartTX.jpg
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Uhh... I guess you could use it as a firewall.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, I would opt for a much less expensive case and concentrate on higher end hardware that really counts towards performance instead of the flashy factor. You can still get a well designed very well cooling case for over half the cost of that case.

The second Mini ITX system inside wouldn't do much for me, I do have a Mini ITX system, but it just sits in my Cisco rack next to my PIX 506E's and I use it to remote into and it connects to my remote reboot switches (they are older serial interface) and I also use it to login to my access server through it's 2nd ethernet port. If I didn't have a need for something in my rack that was tiny and not as loud as a 1U I wouldn't have gone with it since it would have been pointless.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I third the going for a less expensive case, and better hardware.
  • Options
    Just because I am spending alot on a case doesnt mean I am skimping on the hardware.

The hardware setup will be a Core i7 EE, 12GB Ram, 1 300GB VelociRaptor drive, 5TB internal with an additional 4 SATA hotswap drives. NVidia GTX 280 with dual 20" monitors.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Might I recommend a seperate raptor for each VM or at least a RAID 0 for them. I found HDD queuing to be my biggest VM bottle neck.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Then I guess I have to ask a question. With that sort of hardware, why would you seriously bother with a extremely weak performing (in comparison) Mini ITX system?

EDIT:

Just another thought. If it were my money, I would build a couple Core2 rigs with 8GB of RAM each. For the much lower cost of memory and CPU you could probably build two machine, keep one with a nice graphics card so you can game (assuming you are using the GTX 280 for gaming) and the other with something more basic for a 2nd VM box. That's just me though, I would never drop the kind of money you would be dropping on the system you have specified because I rarely buy the bleeding edge, you pay far too much for the slightly added performance.
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Might I recommend a seperate raptor for each VM or at least a RAID 0 for them. I found HDD queuing to be my biggest VM bottle neck.

Thanks for the tip on that, I was planning on a RAID 0 for the VMs but I may look into the seperate raptor drives, I just need to figure out how many VMs I plan on using with that setup. Maybe I can use the 4 hotswap bays for raptors which will give me 4 VMs at a time and I can switch them around?
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daniel333 wrote:

You know, I was thinking about going with velicoraptors for my newest setup, but the cost was brutal. I ended up spending $160 for four 160gb 7200rpm drives in RAID-0.
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:

Thanks for the tip on that, I was planning on a RAID 0 for the VMs but I may look into the seperate raptor drives, I just need to figure out how many VMs I plan on using with that setup. Maybe I can use the 4 hotswap bays for raptors which will give me 4 VMs at a time and I can switch them around?

I would be concerned with heat depending on what you plan to use for your hotswap bays. If it's one of those 4 drives in 3 5.25" bays it might get a bit warm.
  • Options
    Then I guess I have to ask a question. With that sort of hardware, why would you seriously bother with a extremely weak performing (in comparison) Mini ITX system?

EDIT:

Just another thought. If it were my money, I would build a couple Core2 rigs with 8GB of RAM each. For the much lower cost of memory and CPU you could probably build two machine, keep one with a nice graphics card so you can game (assuming you are using the GTX 280 for gaming) and the other with something more basic for a 2nd VM box. That's just me though, I would never drop the kind of money you would be dropping on the system you have specified because I rarely buy the bleeding edge, you pay far too much for the slightly added performance.

The primary system would be an ATX system, I was just trying to find a use for the secondary Mini ITX system that can be added to the case.

Along with training I also do video ending with Redcode RAW material (Red One Camera) Which needs a powerhouse for editing due to the fact that it is much higher resolution then 1080p footage. So breaking up the system into two smallers systems would be counter productive for my needs.

I have no need for the Mini ITX system at this time but I do have the extra hardware to build one so I decided to post here for some suggestions that might get some use out of the space. I like tiersten's idea of using it as an external firewall, maybe I will just do that.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Nobylspoon wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:

I would be concerned with heat depending on what you plan to use for your hotswap bays. If it's one of those 4 drives in 3 5.25" bays it might get a bit warm.

I was going to use a seperate drive bay for each one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215034 Probably those or something similar.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Those look nice, I have a few Kingwin brand that are similar to that, except they used a tiny 40mm fan in the rear which cools decent but has a terrible lifespan. Looks like those would work great.