Options

Server Core and Hyper-V question

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to both Server 2008 and Hyper-V.

Can you manage a Sever 2008 Server Core machine with a VM in Hyper-V using a remote terminal connection?
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok so from what I read, please correct me if I am wrong on this, if I am running Hyper-V on Server Core there is no way to directly access any VMs with the CLI it all has to be done on a seperate computer with a remote connection so if this is correct I think I am just going to do a full install of Server 2008.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    wow, good question. I went to an Intel conference & a MS conference a while back where they talked about hyper-V and virtual installs of 2008 servers, and I can't for the life of me remember if they can "play" together. I want to say that you CAN do it, but I really can't say for sure. If you want, I can try to dig up the contact info for the Intel & MS reps that were at the conferences - they welcomed being contacted for questions about this stuff...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nobylspoon wrote:
    Can you manage a Sever 2008 Server Core machine with a VM in Hyper-V using a remote terminal connection?

I don't see why not. You could probably use this as well (if you're on Vista): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9FF6E897-23CE-4A36-B7FC-D52065DE9960&displaylang=en
    Nobylspoon wrote:
    Ok so from what I read, please correct me if I am wrong on this, if I am running Hyper-V on Server Core there is no way to directly access any VMs with the CLI it all has to be done on a seperate computer with a remote connection so if this is correct I think I am just going to do a full install of Server 2008.

I'm not aware of any Hyper-V CLI commands (though I'm way behind on my 2008 studies icon_sad.gif), and Server Core doesn't support Powershell, so maybe not.
    skrpune wrote:
    I went to an Intel conference & a MS conference a while back where they talked about hyper-V and virtual installs of 2008 servers, and I can't for the life of me remember if they can "play" together. I want to say that you CAN do it, but I really can't say for sure.

Yea, that's not a problem. Although you can get into more interesting situations if you're doing more advanced things like clustering. He's added an interesting dynamic of using a Server Core machine, which doesn't have a GUI, and it also lacks some of the functionality of the full version of Server 2008.