Options

How often do you guys upgrade your machines?

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
I recently built a Quad core machine about 3-4 months ago.

But the Core i7's are starting to look good. icon_twisted.gif

So am I crazy, or are you guys the same? icon_santa.gif

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently built a Quad core machine about 3-4 months ago.

But the Core i7's are starting to look good. icon_twisted.gif

So am I crazy, or are you guys the same? icon_santa.gif

I usually upgrade about every other generation if you already have a quad core I wouldn't drop money into upgrading to the Core i7 until they release an octo core processor which is already on Intels roadmap.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    I typically upgrade every 3 years. I haven't done so recently though, as my company has kept me in fast computers since I started. I'm itching to get an i7, though, as I really want a hefty VM box at the house. (Right now, I run my VMs on a laptop).
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    wish i had your kind of wonga to spend on pc equipment, i built a c2d e4500, 4gig ocz ram, 2 x 512 8600's back in March and its still ok now it plays any game on high settings apart from the obvious crysis

my next pc will be whatever the latest cpu is at the time, along with 16gig of ram, 1gig ddr3 pcie card, will have both memory and cpu watercooled

will tell you all about it in 2015, lol
  • Options
    I built my main desktop with the release of Windows Vista, it is still running an AMD 64x2 processor so I am planning on the Core i7 upgrade soon but I am waiting for USB 3.0 to make it to the chipsets which will probably be along side the Windows 7 release. The i7 will be a completly new build and my current desktop will just be getting some minor upgrades since it is still fully functional.

Because I dont upgrade to every little change on the market I like to spend a little more on my upgrades when I do make them. I have a build budget of $3500 for my Core i7 sytem
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Im running a P4 2.8 and a P3 laptop (not counting my work laptop). I don't play games, all I do is surf, watch the odd movie, and study.
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Im running a P4 2.8 and a P3 laptop (not counting my work laptop). I don't play games, all I do is surf, watch the odd movie, and study.

No reason to spend loads of money on changing something that already suits your purposes. I do alot of video editing though and I am always reaching limitations on my systems which is why I upgrade. A P4 did me just fine back when I was editing DV footage but now that I work with 4K and 5K RAW footage (which is a whole lot larger then 1080P) I need a powerhouse.

Also I am building my new system with VMs in mind for training and school.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I used to run my systems until they were dead. My current system, which is almost 2 years old, will probably be used until I start noticing major slowdowns or my I can't run the latest games. icon_santa.gificon_rendeer.gif
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I play some pc games, all run fine on my pc in high graphics. I do vmware labs, runs well. I browse the web, listen to music or watch television. Does all that!

So no, new hardware is always measured on the need factor for me. Id rather save my mulla for a rainy day, which happens a lot over here :D
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I try and upgrade as much as possible. I had a x2 2.4 GHz with 2GB of ram at the start of 07. Decided i needed slightly more and went to a 3.0GHz with 8GB of ram.

At this current point i would like to add a quad core to my system and would most likely be all i need for a few more years. Due to the board i got last time a quad core chip will fit right in so i think i will be good for a while at this point.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    wish i had your kind of wonga to spend on pc equipment

I don't make that much. But I live at home since I'm a full time student & work full time. (I make $36k/year)

So I spoil myself a bit. icon_lol.gif [/b]
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Lee H wrote:

I don't make that much. But I live at home since I'm a full time student & work full time. (I make $36k/year)

$36k a year and living at home? Thats the good life :D

But not having the ability to bring a chick home must be a huge draw back. (Well unless she is willing to meet the parents already, lol)

As for the computer upgrading... I offically have 3 PC's all with Quad-Cores. One with Windows XP Pro, 4GB Ram, GeForce GTX 280 Video Card and brand new motherboard. Another Windows XP Pro system with 4GB RAM and a shitty video card and older motherboard (used for Programming). My newest PC with Windows Ultimate has 8GB RAM and a pretty sick Rideon video card (drawing a blank). I am not much of a hardware guy but I like cool looking PCs.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

But not having the ability to bring a chick home must be a huge draw back. (Well unless she is willing to meet the parents already, lol)

Bro, I'm engaged. icon_lol.gif My fiancee sleeps here on the regular. I have the whole upstairs to myself.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I usually upgrade every 6 months to keep up with new technology. Plus I play the most recent fps on a 24" lcd so I need the best of the best to play at the highest res with everything turned on. As of late though I havent upgraded because of money and the economy. I am hoping soon to get a corei7 though.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When the old one stops working which is usually when one of my kids knocks it down enough times :D

I'm not into gaming or anything that needs a beefy computer (besides Dynamips) so no need to upgrade very often.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I only upgrade when my computer is limping along and I have extra cash. Last Christmas I went all out and built a nice Duo-core station with 4 GB of RAM, PCIe video card and 24" flat screen. I was able to afford that with last years hefty Christmas bonus. This year's bonus... hmmm...maybe I can upgrade my heat sink icon_rolleyes.gif I'm not heavy into gaming so having the latest and greatest isn't a high priority for me. My mortgage lender likes taking all my money anyways. icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Bro, I'm engaged. icon_lol.gif My fiancee sleeps here on the regular. I have the whole upstairs to myself.

Then you sir, have it made. icon_lol.gif

• Options
    jryantech wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Not a sir either. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Then you ma'm, have it made.
    hahaha icon_lol.gif

• Options
    jryantech wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    jryantech wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Then you ma'm, have it made.
    hahaha icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif I sure do.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Bought an E6300 and DS4 motherboard back in 2006, kept that for a year and bought an IP35 Pro motherboard and Q6600 G0.

Dumped the motherboard within 6 months and got a DFI X48 and 2 graphics cards.

Still got the same rig now though, 6 months on.

Hmm, between 6-24 month cycles i'm on then.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anymore, I only make a change when 1) my system dies or 2) ceases to be functional, given needs that arise.

I *just* upgraded last week so I could start running labs again, I slapped a Phenom x4 9850, 4GB ram, and an up to date power supply into my 7 year old Antec case and got a copy Vista Home Premium x64. I feel so spoiled :)

Before that, the last computer upgrade was when the P4 Hyperthreading had just come out... 5, 6 years ago? I used it for VM's and light gaming for a little while. When the board finally died early last year I was bouncing around between other folk's throwaway systems - a P3 Compaq for a while until I procured a old P4 Dell from work - for home internet use until I couldn't take it any more... last week.

When I was just getting started in computers, I updated more often, but now that I really don't have a need to keep up, I don't. I have to say the new system I have now has given me the itch to go farther and upgrade the video and disks... but all I really need is a tv tuner for Media Center and some extra memory for VM's when I find the right sale.

For my upgrades I typically go wait for the next gen to come out and get one of the best of the previous gen to get the best bang for the buck. My system is MORE than adequate for several server VM's in a lab scenario, no need for the small % increase from something like the i7, hardware raid0, or absurd amounts of memory that would add many 100s if not 1000s of dollars... much of which would never even be tapped 99.99 percent of the time. I'd rather save that money to pay for books, exams, or personal enjoyment. Of course, I broke that rule of thumb with the x4 Phenom :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually go the full wack when i buy my pc gear, but im currently holding off for another 2 years i rekkon, which will give enough time to buy something like this drools :S

http://advancedstorage.micronblogs.com/2008/11/iops-like-youve-never-seen/

Its either that or ill raid 0 4 x 2gb/s 32gb OCZ SSDs with this raid card:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Highpoint-RocketRaid-RR3510LF-PCI-E-4-Channel-SATAII-Raid-Controller

BTW: be careful with the video, the bloke might scare you!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    my next system is gonna be fully water cooled though has to be said, my case fans drive me nuts, even on lowest settings. Keeps system really cool but i wont leave it running when im sleeping, too noisy!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    when the need arises

I was working on getting my CCVP, and wanted to run CCM on my laptop. I have a 2 year old centrino laptop with 2 gig and it ran fine, so no upgrade.

The more i made the transition from "IT dude" to "IT professional" having the latest and greatest isn't a big deal for me. i have a desktop that I have XP pro on, and I run Linux out of virtual machines when I need to.

But that is me. Do whatever floats you boat. If you like having a kick ass machine and have the money to enjoy it why not. You only live once.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I just looked into it last night and got depressed.

I have a Core 2 Duo built on an Asus Commando with an 8800GTX I built about 2 yrs ago. You can't even buy an 8800GTX now. It's depressing. The system runs good, but I guess it's old. lol. I hates "Moore's Law."
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Nobylspoon wrote:
    GT-Rob wrote:

No reason to spend loads of money on changing something that already suits your purposes. I do alot of video editing though and I am always reaching limitations on my systems which is why I upgrade. A P4 did me just fine back when I was editing DV footage but now that I work with 4K and 5K RAW footage (which is a whole lot larger then 1080P) I need a powerhouse.

Also I am building my new system with VMs in mind for training and school.

I agree...if what you have is serving your purpose, then there's no reason to toss money around willy nilly.

I do however have a quad core desktop right now but it was a going away gift from my last employer, and I also have a dual core laptop but that was a replacement laptop for my husband to use for work when I temporarily put his P4 laptop on "disability" when trying to clean the cooling fan assembly. I later was able to find a new cooling unit so that laptop's back up & running again...it's an older Vaio & weighs a ton but it's a great little machine. I've also got a great Vaio P4 desktop that I bought back in 2004 that's still running like a charm - it's now hooked up to our home theater system & is acting as our DVR/media center. There's also an old P3 Windows 2000 machine somewhere in a closet that I'll be using to practice for 290/291 exams; it's a beast, but it works and serves its purpose.

If it weren't for the gifted desktop & my "oopsy" with the old Vaio laptop, we'd still be a P4-or-below household.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As needed. I just swapped out my E6600 for a Q9550 and went up to 16gb of ram. Hopefully that'll hold me over for a couple of years.
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Dynamik,

What board are you running that supports that much of ram? I have been looking at boards that can do between 12 and 24GB but I can not decide.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't had it too long, but it's probably the most satisfied I've ever been with a mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

Went with four sticks of this for RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220356

The only catch to the board that I've found is that you have eight SATA slots, but only six are part of the Intel spec. Gigabyte added the other two on. So you have six where you can do all the levels of raid, but you can only stripe or mirror the other two. I wanted to run four drives in RAID-10 and four striped, but I had to settle for two sets of mirrors and the stripe.

I setup the stripe for my VMs. I got four 160gb drives for a total of $160. I think I'm going to get some pretty good performance for the price. I'd ideally have gone with the velociraptors, but those are a tad pricey. Maybe that'll be my next upgrade...
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When my trusty PII finally dies I might just upgrade to a PIII with XP icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007