Options

How often do you guys upgrade your machines?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    When my trusty PII finally dies I might just upgrade to a PIII with XP icon_wink.gif

Wow PII, I remember reading about those in my history book (A+ study guide that is) Those were the steam powered CPUs the early settlers used right?

:P
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I have bought 1 computer since 2001 and it was an eeepc. That being said i seem to get alot of free hardware. I generally upgrade if given something better or if something dies.

To be honest programming, admining, studying, chatting, surfing, etc doesnt take much of a machine. The only people i know that care about upgrading are gamers or decide to build a nice vm box.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I haven't had it too long, but it's probably the most satisfied I've ever been with a mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

Went with four sticks of this for RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220356

Ugh, I stumbled across mobo's supporting 16GB RAM a short while after I upgraded and ended up settling with an EVGA 780i since the first couple mobo's (Intel and an Asus) I tried wouldn't play well with 8GB of RAM. Was too late to switch.

I typically upgrade every 6 months to a year and the slower machines work their way down the line, first to my wife, then when she gets my old one my mother of someone will get an upgrade, so they dont go to waste at least. I'm fortunate enough to still be on great terms with the computer parts/system retailer I used to manage a store with for many years so I obtain all of my parts at their cost which they generally tend to beat any online shop by a good margin. If it wasn't for that, I doubt I would upgrade as often.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I last upgraded my desktop around 1.5 years ago. Its still running okay though but I'll probably do a clean install of Windows soon and maybe change the HD.

My last computer purchase however was a VMware cluster and NAS.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    i'll be upgrading my pillows before i upgrade my pc, 1 pillow on its own makes my head too low and if i use 2 then my head is too high, dont you just hate it when that happens

:D
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    i'll be upgrading my pillows before i upgrade my pc, 1 pillow on its own makes my head too low and if i use 2 then my head is too high, dont you just hate it when that happens

Haha, I actually bought new pillows a month ago, now to just buy a new mattress. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'm still running my core desktop from 2002...2.53P4, 512Mb Rambus, rather small RAID 0 array...that's it. Oh, and liquid cooled. Runs fine. I don't play games on the PC, I use my PS3(which I just installed Linux on for dual boot!!) for gaming. Laptop for surfing when downstairs, conected via wireless N router...

Sometime next year, I was thinking of building a new box. Maybe with a 790i chipset and 3Gb of DDR3, most certainly a bigger and faster array, and I also want to add a NAS to my metwork. My new AV receiver has an ethernet port, so I can play all file format music directly from the NAS, to 3 different zones in the house....
    RussS wrote:
    When my trusty PII finally dies I might just upgrade to a PIII with XP icon_wink.gif
    Russ, that's awesome! But what about Windows ME?! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Lee H wrote:

I just picked up two new pillows, with some synthetic feathery filling. They are awesome..almost like a slightly softer tempurpedic type pillow....and the whole thing is machine washable too.....although, I doubt you have Kmart across the pond.... ;)
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I have been looking at upgrading to a new system. But, I can't decide do I do want a core 2 E8400 or a quad core or an AMD or an I7. Just can't make up my mind.