Options

Missing location tab in vista

MachX85MachX85 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
When I right click the "Documents" folder and select properties on this laptop, there is no location tab. for music, pictures, favorites, contacts, videos and every other folder in that list with Documents, there is a location tab where i can change where things are located. I cant figure out why location is missing from Documents. I have done many google searches but everyone seems to be saying they are missing the move option inside the location tab, well I am missing the location tab itself. please help

Comments

• Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Are you right clicking the actual documents folder or a shortcut on the desktop? If you are right clicking a shortcut on the desktop there is no location tab under properties. Right click on documents from the start menu and you should have a location tab under properties. HTH.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    thanks for the reply, but I am clicking on the documents folder itself. I've even gone to the actual folder under users\user name\documents. and still no location tab under properties.

I am an administrator
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Is this a stand-alone PC or is it a member of a domain?

Do you have any Group Policies that configure folder redirection?
  • Options
    Good question. It is on a domain, but I don't think there are any policies set for this because all the other domain computers are not missing a location tab. I will double check though.

It would be nice if there was some way to reset that folder back to default, or bring the location tab back by a registry edit. I'm at a loss so far.
  • Options
    You can change the path through a registry edit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    The Personal value is the path to My Documents

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Again, the Personal value is the path to My Documents

You may not have to edit the values in both keys, but I think I always had to when I was fixing a problem with the My Documents path.
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you.
  • Options
    You're welcome. Unfortunately, if you do have a GPO redirecting the Documents folder it will revert right back. I believe that folder redirection is a foreground refresh though, so it won't happen until you log out and log back in. Your best bet would be to run GPResult and see if there really is a GPO changing your settings (output the report to an html file for easy viewing):

gpresult /h c:\temp\gpresult.html
  • Options
    mikeobomikeobo Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THANKS Claymoore! The registry settings worked for me.

Mike

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

You may not have to edit the values in both keys, but I think I always had to when I was fixing a problem with the My Documents path.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikeobo wrote: »
    THANKS Claymoore! The registry settings worked for me.

Mike

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Old thread to the rescue..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MachX85 wrote: »
    Good question. It is on a domain, but I don't think there are any policies set for this because all the other domain computers are not missing a location tab. I will double check though.

Your computer could be in a different OU than the other computers and your OU could have this policy applied while other OU's don't.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    You're welcome. Unfortunately, if you do have a GPO redirecting the Documents folder it will revert right back. I believe that folder redirection is a foreground refresh though, so it won't happen until you log out and log back in. Your best bet would be to run GPResult and see if there really is a GPO changing your settings (output the report to an html file for easy viewing):

gpresult /h c:\temp\gpresult.html
    That's why Claymoore said to do this. To find out if it's due to a GPO and find it and fix it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Oh the many headaches that GPresult and/or RSOP have cured.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Oh the many headaches that GPresult and/or RSOP have cured.

Never heard of it before. I would run gpedit and just dig through the muck. Just tried it out and it worked pretty nicely, plus it can be saved to a file for a historical picture.
    Decide what to be and go be it.