Decisions Decisions, which job to take

AldurAldur Juniper ModeratorPosts: 1,460Member
So as many of you know I've been interviewing at jobs for about the last year and have had no problem being offered the job, only to have things fall through at the last second due to budget reasons.

So now I just got an official offer letter from Time Warner and I am waiting on an offer letter from Juniper for the design resident engineer up in Edmonton. The predicament that I am in is that TW said that I have to respond to the offer by Friday.... This means that I don't have time for Juniper to give me an offer letter.

I'm sure that the RE job will pay more and its an amazing opportunity to build a network from the ground up. But the TW job is just the state over and still would be a sweet job and the pay ain't bad either.

Right now I am planning on talking to TW on Friday and asking for more time to consider their offer and if they won't give me more time then letting the offer go. I just know if I take the offer from TW I will always wonder what if I waited for Juniper and I'm not going to go into a job with a regret like that.

Any suggestions/idea?
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Posts: 4,160Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take the job and if Juniper comes through with a better offer then take them up on it. Jobs are hard to come by so to just pass on one and not be 100% sure that you got the second one is a bit foolish. Either way good luck and congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Posts: 1,090Member
    Its a tough call. I would say try to squeeze some patients from TW, say you are on holiday somewhere. Maybe even give Edmonton a ring and see where they are standing.


    The best rewards in life usually have the biggest risks attached ;)
  • JavonRJavonR Posts: 245Member
    I would agree with GT-Rob, the Edmonton job also sounds much cooler :)

    Edit: BTW, a general rule of thumb to follow "Canada>America"... just as an FYI icon_cool.gif
  • kripsakkripsak Posts: 38Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the TW job for now, but if Juniper gets back with you with an acceptance letter. You can always decline the TW job, and go with the Juniper job.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Posts: 918Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    kripsak wrote:
    Take the TW job for now, but if Juniper gets back with you with an acceptance letter. You can always decline the TW job, and go with the Juniper job.

    basically...dont miss out having a secure thing, by waiting for something that you dont know if you are or not gonna get...and like dude said, you can always decline the TW job even after accepting the offer. call/write them and say, that you're appreciative of the offer they gave, but you found something more suited towards what you were looking to do....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • AldurAldur Juniper Moderator Posts: 1,460Member
    Thanks for all the advice.

    Right now I'm not hurting for a job, so if I turn down TW and the job with Juniper falls through I still would be ok. But I know I would be kicking myself if it plays out like that.

    Just looking at that offer letter that TW sent makes it all to real, 85k, 10% annual bonus, plus many other extras.

    Without a doubt it is tempting to tell TW that I'll take the job and turn it down if Juniper comes through, but I just can't do that. TW has gone through alot of work to get this offer together for me and I feel that I owe them my honesty at the very least.

    And, although everybody is gone at Juniper for the holidays, I was able to talk to somebody out there and they let me know that the offer letter is almost together that it should be much more appealing then the TW offer.

    I think I'm going to ask TW to be patient and if they can't let the offer go.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

    -Bender
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    You have to go with what you want. Just be honest with TW and I'm sure they will understand. Trust me you will not be the first person to turn down an offer from them icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Posts: 918Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice.

    Right now I'm not hurting for a job, so if I turn down TW and the job with Juniper falls through I still would be ok. But I know I would be kicking myself if it plays out like that.

    Just looking at that offer letter that TW sent makes it all to real, 85k, 10% annual bonus, plus many other extras.

    Without a doubt it is tempting to tell TW that I'll take the job and turn it down if Juniper comes through, but I just can't do that. TW has gone through alot of work to get this offer together for me and I feel that I owe them my honesty at the very least.

    And, although everybody is gone at Juniper for the holidays, I was able to talk to somebody out there and they let me know that the offer letter is almost together that it should be much more appealing then the TW offer.

    I think I'm going to ask TW to be patient and if they can't let the offer go.


    yo man, i understand what you're saying, but on the real, companies just look @ you as another paycheck they have to pay. so if you turn them down after you've accepted the offer, they are not going to be upset about it...cuz i'm sure you wont have been the first, and definitely wont be the last to have done that. hell, i've done that b4...where i work now gave me an offer first, so i accepted it, but i was waiting to hear back from another company if i had gotten an offer from them. it turns out that i didnt i didnt get that job tho. and i think thats the mentality you have to have when you look at jobs. They'll just turn around and give that job to someone else, without batting an eye. but hey, do you
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • KasorKasor Posts: 912Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do the assessment about the job market and potential company laid off if you want to move to new job..

    The techncial skill that you earn and with the need of market is what you should look for. You want to keep on top, so you can fight for salary and better job offer.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    That's a tough one man, I always prefer the real guys and RE would be a no brainer, TW might surprise you with their bureacracy etc. since it's been my experiencing working for alot of private companies so far, and this can hinder the job duties you really like etc.

    But to be on the safe side, take the offer and jump ship.
  • zen masterzen master Posts: 222Member
    BradleyHU wrote:
    kripsak wrote:
    Take the TW job for now, but if Juniper gets back with you with an acceptance letter. You can always decline the TW job, and go with the Juniper job.

    basically...dont miss out having a secure thing, by waiting for something that you dont know if you are or not gonna get...and like dude said, you can always decline the TW job even after accepting the offer. call/write them and say, that you're appreciative of the offer they gave, but you found something more suited towards what you were looking to do....

    Precisely! I bet those bastards can let you go at any time during your probation for no reason, so why not treat them the same way?
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Posts: 637Member
    I have been in your shoes many times with multiple offers and pending ones. I've taken the first best offer and waited until the others came in. If they were better, I jumped ship and gave notice to be courteous and not to burn bridges. I also spoke with the company I was with for a short time and talked up the new job like a great experience to learn new skills, opportunity of a lifetime, blah, blah, etc., and they have always supported me and said that they hope I can bring some of what I learn at the n ew place back to them someday. I do have a short work history and have never held a job for more than a year due to changing jobs for more money constantly, but that's how it has played out for me so far. Come March, this will be the first job I've held for at least a year and it will come with another 8K+ salary raise :D .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • AldurAldur Juniper Moderator Posts: 1,460Member
    So last Friday I decided to tell TW that I needed more time to decided on the offer, being the day after christmas nobody was in.... TW called me back on Monday and let me know that I could have more time to decided. They also said that since I was waiting on an offer from Juniper that I could wait until I received it and make my decision from there.

    So it looks like I have time to wait and weigh out the options to decided what would be the best course to take.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

    -Bender
Sign In or Register to comment.