Options

Exam Scheduled = advice needed

After seriously studying for the 291 since September I've now booked the exam for the 17th Feb 2009.

I'm using Exam Cram2, MS Press and CBT Nuggets but find this one more than a challenge to say the least.

I notice that many are passing this exam lately, some with high scores, congrats.

Do you think its possible to pass this exam if you are weak on RRAS?

I am trying to "Lab it up" but as we don't use it at work i'm finding it rather abstract.

My plan is to concentrate on all the other topics and do my best.

Got the second shot offer onboard just in case, too.

Any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mate you seriously have ample time till the 17th, do not overlook RRAS. First, it's not as extensively covered as DNS or DHCP and second,the questions are not as hard compared to DNS. I got 100% on RRAS, if that gives you some idea. I dont think many people use this obsolete thing at all, but hey, it's on the test. I got a 700 on this test and seems like RRAS got me over the line. You can pass the test by not doing RRAS, but then you have little room for error.

My advice, you have plenty of time, this is not a difficult topic, may seem a little abstract, but dont overlook it. BTW, expect to get really hammered by DNS. Absolutely make sure you know what delegations, stubs and forwarders are and how they work. Good luck.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NetAdmin24362.jpg

Anything's possible! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    gangxtagangxta Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote:
    BTW, expect to get really hammered by DNS. Absolutely make sure you know what delegations, stubs and forwarders are and how they work. Good luck.

Agreed. Just took this on Dec. 5th. You need to know RRAS obviously, but the majority of the test revolves around DNS (I would say like a good 50% of the test). Need to know zone transfers, stub, delegation, etc. pretty well. I would recommend Transcender/Self Test. Their questions are pretty close to the real thing. Best Of luck!
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    dynamik wrote:
    NetAdmin24362.jpg

Anything's possible! icon_lol.gif

That looks awfully familiar, I wonder who's test score that is icon_wink.gif

But I would seriously give it some honest study time so it doesn't come back and haunt you later.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    toteman85toteman85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get prepared for DNS I just took this test today and failed with a 583 with a lot of DNS questions...get ready, and good luck
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    toteman85 wrote: »
    Get prepared for DNS I just took this test today and failed with a 583 with a lot of DNS questions...get ready, and good luck

Sorry to hear that - Got my test in 4 weeks time :)

Just bought selftestsoftware practice test for this as I need a break from reading, although initial tests have been lowish scores (but it is more realistic than the Measureup test that comes with the MS Press Book {and saves on eye-strain too}.

Bit cheaper than the transcender equivalent (exchange rate $ to £ is pretty bad)

I found the 70-270 /271 /272 and 290 not too bad, this is in a different league.

Is this exam "harder" than all the others or is it a matter of familiarity in the workplace?
  • Options
    alphawavealphawave Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion RRAS was the easyest part of the test. Both times I took the test, RRAS was the only section I got 100% on. It definatly was crucial for me to pass. The 291 is DEFINATLY THE HARDEST by a large margin out of the 270, or the 290. I wish I knew that before the first time I took it.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    RRAS isn't covered as much as DHCP and DNS. If you know enough about RRAS, I think you'll do okay. I didn't have much experience with it, but I got 100% on that portion the second time I took the test.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan