Certification Plans for 2009

Comments

• zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    by August MCSA. By the end of the year ... CISSP. Hopefully.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right now it seems like I am at a fork in the road, and I must choose which path to take..but until then this is the map..

ONT (which will complete my CCNP)- Late april...

Reassess my goals at this point..make sure I'm on track..then..

CCIE R&S (written)- sometime before new years..

CCIE R&S Lab- Tentatively mid 2010
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well, i obtained my MCTS in January, now I'm working on my 70-350 ISA exam. I wouldn't even be taking the 350 if it weren't for my job requiring it. I'm 3/4s of the way finished my CCNP (Just ONT left), so I'll hopefully be able to knock that out before the year is over. I think I'm going to have to get my EA first though. Good luck everyone!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    In no particular order, but by end of 2009:

MCSA:Security (update: finished today!)
    MCSE:Security
    CEH (Can't wait to work on this one)
    CCNA (NEED to really get this done)

At some point, Linux+.

I want to have these finished by my 40th BD, next May. I should have gotten all of these years ago, so you younger guys, don't waste any time like I have!

Maybe go back and finish my 2 year degree, my cert is in EE, so maybe my IT certs will help with a double, EE and IT? Just need my general classes.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    A little late getting on the boat but here's my list:

Achieved so far:
    MCSA
    A+
    Network+
    70-270
    70-290
    70-291

Will achieve:
    MCSE
    70-620
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297

Security+

CCNA

MCITP:EA (after MCSE)
    70-649
    70-647
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just after getting CCNA, if I could get 2/3 MCP's by the end of the year I would be happy, no experience with ms exams so don't no if I am being ambitious or not!
  • Obi-LAN-KenobiObi-LAN-Kenobi Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking my CCNP BCMSN in April (my CCNA will expire if I don't hurry up and take a 642 exam!). Then I've got some financial industry certs that I have to complete for my job (Series 7 and 63). Then I will focus on:

- BSCI
    - ISCW
    - ONT

Then I want to switch my focus to Foundry FNCNE.

I'm also hoping to start my MBA program in 2009. It's going to be a busy year!
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCSE (80% done)
    MCSE: Sec (50% done)
    CCA (10% done)
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey everybody,

Im new here and to the certification world but my plans for this year is to get my Network+ and CCNA (was blessed to get into a training program at work that is paying for everything to get these two certs) Afterwards im looking to see where i want to go and hopefully get a job somewhere i can use these skills.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If working is paying for the exams and material, will they have you stay on a specified time after you pass, so to be sure they get to recoup part of their training budget?
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Finish up the CCIP and then move on full steam towards the CCIE R&S.

+1

Only two more exams for CCIP.... then hammer this R&S qualification... I might chuck in JNCIA and Linux+ somewhere in there... time-permitting...

That should be 2009 done...

2010 .. I want to concentrate on Security+,CCSP,JNCIP,CCIE:Security.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am officially getting my butt in gear,

MSCA > MCSE > MCITP:EA all in 2009. icon_thumright.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    ermm, I changed my plans :P

This is my final plan and progress:

Server+ ...................... DONE
    Security+ .................... DONE

IELTS ......................... 0%
    Review SCSA & SCNA ...... 10%
    Learning JES .................. 0%
    Shell Scripting................. 0%

Sun Cluster 3.2 .............. 10%
    RHCE ............................ 0%
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Geesh, I must've fallen asleep for the time when this thread was active. icon_lol.gif

Let's see here. I've got a couple of goals in mind for 2009:

Finish up my MCSE -
    * 70-293 (Getting there)
    * 70-298 (Ditto)
    * 70-294

After that, hop back and forth between MCITP: Enterprise Administrator and CCNP exams -
    * BCSI (I'm getting closer)
    * 70-649 (Upgrade)
    * BCMSN
    * 70-647 (EA PRO Exam)
    * 70-620
    * ISCW (Hopefully)
    * ONT (Hopefully)

I'm also making a run through school to pick up the units I need for an Associate's degree in CIS. I'll finish by December, but I won't actually be able to do the whole graduation-thing until June of 2010. . . but, by that time, I'll be cooling my certification-jets and focusing on the transfer-degree in EECS. 2009's dedicated to wrapping up some major certs and my CIS studies, 2010 will be my major push towards more school. Now, what am I going to do with all that free time. . . icon_razz.gif
    I may be adding CCNA Security to this list, depending on how much security documentation I read on Cisco's site in the next few weeks.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    My detailed list is now in my sig :)

MCITP: 70-621 ---> 4/29/2009
    MSCA: 70-290 | 70-291
    MCSE: 70-293 | 70-294 | 70-298 | 70-431
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow. Because of my apartment getting destroyed and my wife leaving, I've only done my VCP thus far. I guess I'm not hitting my goals...

I'm going to take a couple of Exchange exams soon, and hopefully CEHv5 before it's retired in May. I guess I'll try to knock out that last Exchange exam and do my MCITP:EA upgrade by the end of the year...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    My detailed list is now in my sig :)

MCITP: 70-621 ---> 3/29/2009

Is that how they're handling there not being enough testing centers? :D

(Hope the time machine doesn't blue screen, that could be bad...)

Edit: "Conflicker ruined my life. I'm stuck back in the Civil War!"
    Good luck to all!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Wow. Because of my apartment getting destroyed and my wife leaving, I've only done my VCP thus far. I guess I'm not hitting my goals...

Call those excuses? Slacker. Get back to work.

;)

No idea what mine are, get this MCITP:EA done and the upcoming VCP too. Probably time for me to get certified in SQL as well.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What can I say? Time flies when you're having fun!

It's definitely time to get back into the swing of things and start taking things seriously again ;)
    dynamik wrote: »
    What can I say? Time flies when you're having fun!

It's definitely time to get back into the swing of things and start taking things seriously again ;)

It's great to have you back! icon_thumright.gif
  • gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    If working is paying for the exams and material, will they have you stay on a specified time after you pass, so to be sure they get to recoup part of their training budget?
    As of now no. I am only an intern and the program is using the company's tution assistance program that is why i was so happy to get into it. I was told that once you get into program and are fired or layed off you are still able to complete the course. My internship is supposed to be over at the end of December so if all works out i am going to see what else i can get, maybe A+ to round off things or see what is being offered at the time.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Well.... I think I'm revising my plans for certifications this year.

I started looking at colleges, and found one that transferred in most of my certifications.

I have 1 more class I can possibly transfer in without jeopardizing the minimum credits needed to be taken at the college for a 2yr degree. So, part of the CIS program that I'm taking has me taking a Vista class.... So, instead I will be taking the 70-620 before fall and transferring it in for that class.

Also, I will be taking a CCNA: Wireless class in the fall at the college... So, I figured, I might as well take the exam after taking the class... Not to mention, I already have the book for the exam.

Again, I will be taking a class in the fall at the college for Configuring Active Directory for Windows Server 2008. So, I might as well take the exam after the class, again I already have that book as well.

So....

Going back to school this year
    70-620
    640-721
    70-640
    Possibly Project+ (I've put that on hold for the time being)
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I think my goals are pretty conservative...I feel like i've been study for something or other for the last 6 yrs...

For me i'd like to complete my MCSE atleast by june/july

then I was thinking maybe CCNA...I got the study material as a christmas present 2 yrs ago.

then I was thinking maybe something different...like a citrix cert...CCA

or maybe unix system admin

or maybe even MCDBA...

I don't know...i just want to add a couple of specialized tools that your average networking dude (atleast in my area) doesn't have.
  • sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My main goal for 2009 is to really ramp up my skills to the next level:

April 2009 - A+
    June 2009 - Windows 2008 AD (70-640)
    September - 2009 - Network+
    December - 2009 - Exchange 2007 (70-236)

That's it for now. Too much other stuff going on to do more (getting married in August).
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have one more test to go to complete the MCSA. Then hopefully I'll finish the MCSE by the end of this year. Part of completing the MCSE is obtaining the Security + as well.

So, 70-291 by June and then hopefully 70-293, 294, 297, and Security+ by the end of the year. Then next year I'll focus on upgrading to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    I have one more test to go to complete the MCSA. Then hopefully I'll finish the MCSE by the end of this year. Part of completing the MCSE is obtaining the Security + as well.

So, 70-291 by June and then hopefully 70-293, 294, 297, and Security+ by the end of the year. Then next year I'll focus on upgrading to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.
    You won't need the Sec+. Apparently the A+ and Net+ also fulfill the 2nd elective for MCSE.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    djhss68 wrote: »
    You won't need the Sec+. Apparently the A+ and Net+ also fulfill the 2nd elective for MCSE.

No they dont. A+ and N+ only fulfill requirements for the MCSA. I certainly wish it did do the same for the MCSE, but that's Microsoft for you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    djhss68 wrote: »

Yeah I saw that thread too. I was starting to wonder for a moment there, but then what if it's a mistake? The Microsoft website states that the A+ and Net+ only count toward the MCSA. I would hate to become an MCSE only to have it revoked later because they made a mistake and counted my A+ and Net+ as an elective.

Eitherway, I still want to get Security+ done to round out my basics. It can't hurt.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    APA wrote: »
    I might chuck in JNCIA,,,

Hell yeah! +1 for the Juniper certs! icon_cheers.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, my plans changed a bit due to changes in the workplace as well as demand for side work that I do.

Now will be working towards the MCITP:EA and MCTS:Configuring Windows Server Virtualization (70-652) for sure this year. Not sure what to do the rest of the year, I have a fair amount of hands-on with Server 2000/2003/2008 and have been getting a lot of exposure to Hyper-V lately so I don't anticipate having to devote an entire year to these. I may opt to pursue some Linux certs, but I'm undecided. I've been getting more exposure to environments using Ubuntu Server, CentOS, and so forth more lately, perhaps because of the shrinking budgets. Hard to say where I'll end up after doing some of the MS track, I suspect that once we get over this recession that there will be some significant spending on IT and I plan to be geared to take advantage of that.