jbaello wrote:
    Finally got a deal from from http://optimumdata.com/

170 $ including shipping 1 year warranty

2611XM

32/128 Memory
    DTE/DCE cable DB60
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)

It looks like this is a great deal with what I am seeing with Ebay and other site so far, the WAN interface and cables when it adds up can cost another 50 $ I cansider the breakdown like this.

Router 100 $
    Interface, cables and extra memory 50 $
    Shipping & 1 year insurance 20 $

I'm just going to do this, Ebay is exhausting, let me know what you think please.

Very good deal...hopefully they will quote me $100 for a 2611XM!!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the same spec? or just the router itself? the ISDN is pretty much a giveaway he said he's got 7000 of those and just use them to toss around knocking out cans :P lol jk, I'm going to ask him what other stacks of interface he has maybe he can throw it in for free as well, let me know if he says something, he told me he is willing to match the best deals out there cause he wants his company to no look like GM.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jbaello wrote:
    What I'll do next time is I will forecast my lab need and give myself 1 month ahead of time while currently working on what I have then start bidding and looking around.

That's the trick with Ebay from what I've learned. I tend to check every day or so for newly listed items for whatever equipment I'm looking for. Very rarely you can come across somebody who didn't do their research or is just being very aggressive for a fast sale and you can find a buy-it-now auction for real cheap. Other times I will look for something that's a low starting bid w/o a reserve price and bid a proxy bid up to an amount I'm willing to pay. Sometimes you get people who will bid and after they put in a couple of figures they give up assuming your bid was still on top. You won't always get the win this way, but if you are persistent and be patient you can get real good bargains. Buy-it-now is exploited by sellers who want to cash in on the instant gratification factor. I have on numerous occasions been patient on some of the popular lab gear such as 2522's, 2509/11's or 2950 switches and been able to get very good deals and resold them for a profit to buy more gear :D

Just be patient and you'll get some good bargains.
    That's the trick with Ebay from what I've learned. I tend to check every day or so for newly listed items for whatever equipment I'm looking for. Very rarely you can come across somebody who didn't do their research or is just being very aggressive for a fast sale and you can find a buy-it-now auction for real cheap. Other times I will look for something that's a low starting bid w/o a reserve price and bid a proxy bid up to an amount I'm willing to pay. Sometimes you get people who will bid and after they put in a couple of figures they give up assuming your bid was still on top. You won't always get the win this way, but if you are persistent and be patient you can get real good bargains. Buy-it-now is exploited by sellers who want to cash in on the instant gratification factor. I have on numerous occasions been patient on some of the popular lab gear such as 2522's, 2509/11's or 2950 switches and been able to get very good deals and resold them for a profit to buy more gear :D

Just be patient and you'll get some good bargains.

Thank you for the new forum Johan it looks so much better :)

I finally got myself a New Year present

175 $ comes with 1 year warranty and S&H.

2611XM
    32/256 Memory
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)
    DTE/DCE Cable
    Rack Ears

After receiving a free 2950 and 1900 yesterday, my lab list is:

(x3) 2950
    (x1) 2900
    (x1) 1900
    (x3) 2611XM
    jbaello wrote: »
    Thank you for the new forum Johan it looks so much better :)

I finally got myself a New Year present

175 $ comes with 1 year warranty and S&H.

2611XM
    32/256 Memory
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)
    DTE/DCE Cable
    Rack Ears

After receiving a free 2950 and 1900 yesterday, my lab list is:

(x3) 2950
    (x1) 2900
    (x1) 1900
    (x3) 2611XM

I only have 3 router so far, do I still need a 4th router for my frame relay? or can I run that on my 3rd router instead?

Also I am seeing alot of people using 3640 32/128 router it looks like a 4U, what's the advantage of this routers? aside from more modules?
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should be able to run frame-relay with three routers provided one has at least two serial ports. Personally I have a 2523 (10 serial interfaces) so I can connect all my routers together without needing to change cabling to modify the topology.

3640s are 2U and people use them because they're relatively cheap and support 12.4 IOS (non-T), I think 2600XMs can do everything that 3640s can do with the exception of MPLS (not necessary for CCNA).
    kalebksp wrote: »
    You should be able to run frame-relay with three routers provided one has at least two serial ports. Personally I have a 2523 (10 serial interfaces) so I can connect all my routers together without needing to change cabling to modify the topology.

3640s are 2U and people use them because they're relatively cheap and support 12.4 IOS (non-T), I think 2600XMs can do everything that 3640s can do with the exception of MPLS (not necessary for CCNA).

Woudln't it be smarter to use a router with one of the NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S, so you have 2 uses for it router/frame relay?
    Woudln't it be smarter to use a router with one of the NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S, so you have 2 uses for it router/frame relay?

Possibly, depends on the price of the module vs the 2520/2523. Mine is a dedicated frame-relay switch and I don't intended to use it for anything else.
    You should be able to run frame-relay with three routers provided one has at least two serial ports. Personally I have a 2523 (10 serial interfaces)

By saying one router hast at least two serial ports? did you mean a x1 WIC-1T + NM-A4/S with a DCE/DTE cable connection on the same router that holds the frame relay?
    As long as there are at least two serial interfaces on the router (2x WIC-1T or NM-4A/S, etc) you should be able to configure it as a frame switch.
    As long as there are at least two serial interfaces on the router (2x WIC-1T or NM-4A/S, etc) you should be able to configure it as a frame switch.

Caveat to that, you technically can run it as a frame switch, but you won't be able to setup multipoint configurations. If you already have a NM-4A/S, and want hands on with frame-relay I would go get a 2501 or something similar to practice with. If you're planning to go on to CCNP you may want to get another router which supports 12.4 instead.
    Thanks I have a NM-A4/S.

The diagram will look like this

DCE/DTE Connection
    R1/NM-A4/s
    R2/WIC-1T
    |
    |
    |
    0|DCE/DTE Connection
    |
    |
    |
    R3/WIC-1T
    So I just heard back from Optimumdata that they were having issue installing 256 MB of ram on 2611XM they told me that a chip eprom has to be changed in order for it to recognize 256 MB ram, has anyone heard of this or had a similar issue with their router, specially on the 2611XM??
    Yep, 2600XMs have to have the correct BootROM version to be able to recognize 256mb, and the only way to upgrade the BootROM is to change the chip,
    How hard is it to get this bootrom? does Cisco just send you one when you have a 2611XM?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yep, from the Router Memory Cisco Portable Product sheet
    26xxXM's shipped prior to April 2004 had a maximum DRAM capacity of 128MB. This was upped to 256MB through a bootROM which can be ordered separately for older 2600XM's, and requires 12.3(11)T IOS.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I'll ask him to try and test a 2621 or 2651 Router to see if it might work ;) Damn now I give alot of you guys credit for trying to put a cisco lab together I now feel your pain, yesterday the TFTP IOS transfer went fine but I didn't had enough ram as a result went to rommon that I had to learn how to do a TFTP via rommon, narrow and ardous is the road to this approach lawl...
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I'll ask him to try and test a 2621 or 2651 Router to see if it might work ;) Damn now I give alot of you guys credit for trying to put a cisco lab together I now feel your pain, yesterday the TFTP IOS transfer went fine but I didn't had enough ram as a result went to rommon that I had to learn how to do a TFTP via rommon, narrow and ardous is the road to this approach lawl...

You should be happy to know you are learning this while only inconveniencing yourself, icon_redface.gif instead of taking down a production router, and having people over your shoulder asking when will it be up and running.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(2)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Thu 23-Jun-05 16:06 by kellmill

Just wondering if this is the adventerprisepack I've seen people talk about in here? I loaded it on my 2 2611xm
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Finally got a deal from from Used Cisco at Optimum Data - Home

170 $ including shipping 1 year warranty

2611XM

32/128 Memory
    DTE/DCE cable DB60
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)

It looks like this is a great deal with what I am seeing with Ebay and other site so far, the WAN interface and cables when it adds up can cost another 50 $ I cansider the breakdown like this.

Router 100 $
    Interface, cables and extra memory 50 $
    Shipping & 1 year insurance 20 $

I'm just going to do this, Ebay is exhausting, let me know what you think please.

How long did it take for them to get back with you regarding a quote??
    famosbrown wrote: »
    How long did it take for them to get back with you regarding a quote??

He usually reply back right away, but I will tell you my approach, I send them an email I wait for the reply he includes the price, then I call him and tell him my bottomlow price.

I got the 2611XM for 165 $ out of the door, apparently I still need a bootrom to have the router recognize 256 NVRAM.

Make sure you let him know I sent you :) the shipping was next day delivery and he gave me a 2924 switch for free (didn't had a face plate). Best packing I've had.

I'm very happy dealing with them.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LBC90805 wrote: »
    Or... Find yourself a copy of Packet Tracer 5.0 through any means necessary.

Packet Tracer is only for authorized Cisco users. Encouraging someone to find it by any means necessary is encouraging theft. I dont think Cisco would like that too much.
    He usually reply back right away, but I will tell you my approach, I send them an email I wait for the reply he includes the price, then I call him and tell him my bottomlow price.

I got the 2611XM for 165 $ out of the door, apparently I still need a bootrom to have the router recognize 256 NVRAM.

Make sure you let him know I sent you :) the shipping was next day delivery and he gave me a 2924 switch for free (didn't had a face plate). Best packing I've had.

I'm very happy dealing with them.

Thanks J! I finally received a quote and they quoted me $349 for a 2611XM, WIC 1-T and NM-8A/S. I then responded asking for a quote for just the router and they responded with $199. I then respond to say nevermind and that their company has a Buy It Now for the same router on eBay for $175. They then respond that they missed that one and could match that price...I decided to pass all together.
    Thanks J! I finally received a quote and they quoted me $349 for a 2611XM, WIC 1-T and NM-8A/S. I then responded asking for a quote for just the router and they responded with $199. I then respond to say nevermind and that their company has a Buy It Now for the same router on eBay for $175. They then respond that they missed that one and could match that price...I decided to pass all together.

You have to negotiate the price down, telling em that there is a buy now price is a good start... They all try to hustle, tell them I got 2611XM with max memory and other interface for 150$ or something ;)

I agree that **** is overpriced I want one of those NM-8A/S ;) that's a space saver and the router can still carry out other functions...
    You have to negotiate the price down, telling em that there is a buy now price is a good start... They all try to hustle, tell them I got 2611XM with max memory and other interface for 150$ or something ;)

I agree that **** is overpriced I want one of those NM-8A/S ;) that's a space saver and the router can still carry out other functions...

Yeah...I was just feeling them out, but decided to just not deal with them. I instead picked up another 2610XM 32/128 and an NM-8A/S module for a combined total of $175. I was just tired of waiting and my additional two switches will be arriving shortly. I actually got the 2610XM for about $25 less than what I paid for my first two a few months ago.
    Yeah...I was just feeling them out, but decided to just not deal with them. I instead picked up another 2610XM 32/128 and an NM-8A/S module for a combined total of $175. I was just tired of waiting and my additional two switches will be arriving shortly. I actually got the 2610XM for about $25 less than what I paid for my first two a few months ago.

What is the main difference b/w the 2610xm and 2611xm aside from the fastethernet port? does it support F64/N256?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What is the main difference b/w the 2610xm and 2611xm aside from the fastethernet port? does it support F64/N256?

Check out Matt's link in http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/35158-router-models-information.html?highlight=lextrain

Looks like the only difference is the extra Ethernet port.
    [FONT=&quot]The 2600XM Series can support 256MB DRAM using 12.2(8r) Bootrom or later.[/FONT]
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!

Yep...pretty much the 11 equals an extra fast ethernet port. I finally broke down and got another 2610 instead since I haven't ran into any lab scenarios where I would need an extra FE right now...we shall see in the future, but then again, prices should be down more by then.