Options

questions about different routers for home lab

2»

Comments

• Options
    bambam123bambam123 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what router can i buy that doesn't need a transceiver or a expansion card to run and can handle atleast a 12.3 ios without upgrading
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bambam123 wrote: »
    what router can i buy that doesn't need a transceiver or a expansion card to run and can handle atleast a 12.3 ios without upgrading

I don't believe there is anything that is going to do what you need without either a transceiver or additional WIC/NM cards.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That describes a 2505, 2507, or 2516 -- assuming it already has 16/16 and comes with the last 12.3 IP Plus IOS. I think the 2516 had the MDIX switch port, otherwise I think you'd use a crossover cable if you connected a couple 2505/2507 routers back-to-back.

But those 2500 "Hub Routers" won't do SDM or 802.1q trunking (for router-on-a-stick). Your "trade off" here is cheap vs expandibility, upgradability, and functionality.

You'd have to go to the Cisco IOS Feature Navigator to find what you lose and what you gain between running the 2500 12.2 Enterprise Plus and the 2500 12.3 IP Plus. I think IPv6 may be one of the obvious differences.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sorry i just said thingy because i was in a hurry. i meant do i need to buy a WIC-2T card?
    WIC-2T cards are usually more expensive than WIC-1T cards -- and they use the smaller smart serial connectors.

I stick with all WIC-1T (or NM-4A/S for my 3640s) cards with the DB60 connectors so I could just buy a bunch of the same back-to-back cables for my lab. I did get 1 WIC-2T, so I bought 2 long Smart Serial to DB60 Back-to-Back cables and left it at that.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    WIC-2T cards are usually more expensive than WIC-1T cards -- and they use the smaller smart serial connectors.

I stick with all WIC-1T (or NM-4A/S for my 3640s) cards with the DB60 connectors so I could just buy a bunch of the same back-to-back cables for my lab. I did get 1 WIC-2T, so I bought 2 long Smart Serial to DB60 Back-to-Back cables and left it at that.

In my lab, I think the DB60 connectors are much better at remaining connected (w/o screwing them in because it's a pain sometimes) than the Smart Serial connectors, I really despise those connectors, just a pain to work with. Just another reason the WIC-1T's are nice to use as well.
  • Options
    man this decision is more complex than i thought. If you guys were going to buy a 2 routers that were each under a hundred dollars what would u guys buy?
  • Options
    man this decision is more complex than i thought. If you guys were going to buy a 2 routers that were each under a hundred dollars what would u guys buy?
    Well the first thing I say is "WOW! $200 dollars to spend on a CCNA Lab!!" But are you building a CCNA Lab? Or just buying 2 routers?

If I had a month to shop and bid on eBay before I "had to have" the full lab up and running I'd grab that $40 1721.

I'd also get 4 back-to-back serial cables.

I'd shop for a 2520 for around $50 (hopefully with transceiver and shipping included) to act as the frame-relay switch.

And I'd grab 2 of the 2501 or 2503 routers that came with transceivers for $20 each.

And with the other $90 I'd get beer, a WIC-1T, and network cables.

And if I didn't drink beer (or already had some) I'd try to score a couple $25 2924-XL-EN switches. It might be possible to score a super deal on one 2950-12 port (or even a 2950-24 port) switch -- but you can't do much switching with just one switch.

If switches were a separate budget, then I'd make one of the 2501/2503 a 2509 or 2911 terminal server.

Now if you just wanted 2 routers and were going to spend $200 -- I'd get that $40 1721, 2 WIC-1T cards, a cross-over network cable. I'd see if I could score a 128/32 DRAM/FLASH 2651XM, 2550XM; 2611XM; or 2610XM with what was left. If I lost patience bidding for the 26xxXM, I'd look at the 128/32 2651 and 2650 Buy-it-Now prices and probably grab one of those. The 2 Ethernet port models are nice to have if you have a switch or something else to connect to them (like a PC with another cross-over cable). If I didn't get an XM -- I'd buy beer with the change. :D

And don't forget a cisco console cable (and a USB Serial Adapter if you don't have a PC with a serial port)
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Can I just pay you to ebay shop for my CCNP lab mike?

:D
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    And with the other $90 I'd get beer

Is there a particular type of beer tested on the exam? Can I expect any sim questions about beer?
  • Options
    mikej it is impossible to get those equipment for the price you are listing because you have to pay a whole lot more for more recent ios and max memory
  • Options
    i can't find any 2501 with a transciever and even remoteley recent ios for 20 bucks
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    i can't find any 2501 with a transciever and even remoteley recent ios for 20 bucks

I was able to complete my CCNA last year, and I did it with a
    pair of 2950 switches
    a 1605 router, 1 2620 router, a 1720 router,

Really, in the CCNA study and labs, it is really about become familiar with a the devices, the loading, reloading, and storage techniques (flash ROM, RAM)and then how the routers interact when running different routing protocols. You will also need to know spanning-tree protocol, so you really need a pair of switches to see the protocol reacts/interacts between switches.

As I progressed through my CCNP studies, I picked up different routers, when the oppurtunities allowed, but for the most part, I found the dynamips did it better/faster than I could with real gear.

I am currently in processing of clearing my lab gear, and have listed some of the gear I have for sale in the off topic section. All prices are negotiable.

let me know if you are interested....

http://new.techexams.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3161&page=8
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    what's the difference between the WIC-1T and the WIC 1DSU T1. Do they both do the same thing? Which one is better?
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    A WIC 1T is used to connect to an external DSU or another WIC 1T in a lab environment. A WIC T1 is a DSU/CSU card that can connected directly to a digital lease line/ T1 circuit. A pair of WIC T1's can also be cross connected with a T1 cross over cable in a lab environment. For the most part in my CCNA studies, I ran the routing protocol labs other ethernet, and not over serial interfaces.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Is there a particular type of beer tested on the exam? Can I expect any sim questions about beer?

While beer may be part of a Study Plan -- I like the read one chapter, drink one beer study motivation method -- it is not part of the Cisco Exam Blueprints. You will not be tested on (or offered) beer during the exams.

But beer does fit in well in the overall 3 Step Certification Plan -- Study icon_study.gif Pass :D Celebrate drunken_smilie.gif
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what's the difference between the WIC-1T and the WIC 1DSU T1. Do they both do the same thing? Which one is better?

I suggest doing alot of reading, since I have so much question myself, and the material gave me the information I needed, the CCENT part covers WAN and will discuss different types of WAN connectiong along with the interface being used :)

I also suggest that if you ever plan on obtaining your CCNP (why not?) to try to hit 2 stones in 1 bird :) so you have a lab that is back to back compatible.
  • Options
    i have already started icnd1 with the wendell odom book. If i get 2 cisco 2610 routers will i need four wic-1ts or just 2? also i plan on getting a 2950 switch with twelve ports
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i have already started icnd1 with the wendell odom book. If i get a 2 cisco 2610 router will i need four wic-1ts or just 2? also i plan on getting a 2950 switch with twelve ports

You would be loosing alot of time, if the lab you purchase is just for CCNA IMO, I think you would end up with the same route as you did with CCNA trying to sell your now lab because it's not compatible with CCNP etc. all I'm saying is try to make sure you can have a lab that you can use for a few years, so you can avoid the hustle and just study.
  • Options
    i reallly jsut wanna focus on ccna for now. CCNP is years from now for me. And don't really care if the equipment won't be compatible in the future i just want to get solid practic on routers and switches right now
  • Options
    yo miller811 can you tell me what ios is on your routers
  • Options
    Cisco Portable Product Sheets

Some of my favorite PDFs are the
    Cisco Switch Performance
    IOS Packaging
    Router Memory
    Router Performance
    NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility (the module xref I posted earlier)

The Integrated Service Routers Quick Look is nice if you win the lottery and want to build a home lab with New Equipment like the 1800/2800/3800 series routers.
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Knowing what I know now, I would have spent money on switches and used Dynamips for the routers. Early on I was too concerned about buying routers and what I should have done was save the money on the routers and buy 3550 switches.