permissions

If User 1 has Full Control Share permissions to Folder A

and has Full Control NTFS permissions to Folder A. What
are his effective permissions to Folder A and why please. thanks,

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    *palm in face*
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    *palm in face*

Ill join you on that one.

susuandme: You have a lot of work to be doing my friend. Tip: start with the stickies on these forums.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    susuandme, I think you have asked better questions than this. As Pash and royal said, study up mate.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Susuandme, my advice is to look through a book, technotes, and use Google. You can find almost everything you need in these. Once in awhile, I can't find an answer in any of these, or I just overlook it, so then I ask the question here at Techexams.

http://techexams.net/technotes/xp/administration.shtml This link should help. Good luck.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    royal wrote:
    *palm in face*
    You have a lot of work to be doing my friend.

Yes, he needs to stop asking questions and go practice. He's asked much more complicated permissions questions multiple times and we've answered them all and even explained in so many analogies how the share vs ntfs permissions work.

And the reason why I did a face palm, is because after all of that, he comes and asks a really simple permissions question.

I just don't know what else can really be done to help the guy from the perspective of getting help on these forums in regards to permissions. I really don't. If I could somehow help the guy understand, I would absolutely love to help. But everyone has tried numerous times.

Susuandme, go read any piece of information online you can find about permissions including books and LAB LAB LAB it up until you understand the fundamentals. That's the ONLY way you're going to learn at this point.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    susuandme - you may want to revisit this thread. Review the rules about adding permissions & the answer will become clear.

Not to be discouraging, but I have to agree with the other posters here...you've asked more complicated questions before regarding permissions & other topics, and if you're still stumped by a relatively simple question like this, then it's time to go back to review the basics & practice so you can gain a better understanding of what these different permission settings mean. I HIGHLY recommend you install Virtual PC or VMWare and get yourself a virtual network going on so you can work out the solutions to these answers.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    thankyou I appreciate the explainations more than you know,

I have not run into an example like this before where both the
    Share and NTFS permissions are full control. I've learned that
    the most restrictive permission is the effective permission, however
    which one is the restrictive permission, since they are the same.

My answer would be full control, since there are no other choices. I asked
    this question because I did not run into anything like this before where both
    share and ntfs permissions are the same. I am using a standalone computer not connected to a network, so I cannot check the effective permissions. thankyou.
  • Options
    Exactly, full control. Since both are full control, you get full control since they match up and neither is really more restrictive.

It's not about encountering a specific question and needing to get the answer from others. It's understanding the fundamentals and testing it out for yourself and if you still don't get it, then ask. And you did get the answer correct so good job. :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    susuandme, I'm going to issue a requirement that you must meet in order for me to answer any more of your questions ;)

Whenever you ask a question, I also want you to include what you think the answer is, and why you think that. I want to force you to work through the problem and really think about it. Had you taken the time to write out an explanation for this question, I think you would have arrived at the correct answer before you finished.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    susuandme, I'm going to issue a requirement that you must meet in order for me to answer any more of your questions ;)

Whenever you ask a question, I also want you to include what you think the answer is, and why you think that. I want to force you to work through the problem and really think about it. Had you taken the time to write out an explanation for this question, I think you would have arrived at the correct answer before you finished.

Ditto. That's the reason I didn't answer until he said what he thought. But ya, this is now a requirement from me as well. :)