Options

*New TE Forum Features - How do I?*

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    getting Recent Discussions running again would be sweet. Honestly thats all I ever used to check for new posts.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The "New Posts" or "Quick Links" > "Today's Posts" up at the top don't do what you need?

And Johan, even I am going to be offline for most of the night, so I don't think you're going to have a lot of critical eyes on your style tweaks ;)
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    aordal wrote: »
    getting Recent Discussions running again would be sweet. Honestly thats all I ever used to check for new posts.
    I'm going to add that today/tomorrow again. I'm used to that a lot myself too, however, vBulletin has a better system of keeping track of unread posts available through - see dynamik's post above.

Dang, that's such a nice feature it'll actually make me install FF again Will definitely save me some time for Wordpress as well, thanksicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    At some point, it would also be nice to have a default option to not subscribe to the current thread, instead of subscribing by default and having to take off that option every time.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    brad- wrote: »
    At some point, it would also be nice to have a default option to not subscribe to the current thread, instead of subscribing by default and having to take off that option every time.
    There is one already. Set "Default Thread Subscription Mode" to don't subscribe.
  • Options
    Just a quick note that the Private Messages are imported. I'm going to raise the PM limit in a minute and will lower that for 99% of the users back to around 250 in a week or so. If you are a heavy PM-er you will likely have a lot more than you expected. If that's the case please clean up your PM box to avoid getting problems sending/receiving PMs once the limit is lower. The folder structure is different from our previous forums, it's possible there are duplicates.

As usually, PM me if you have any questions/concerns.
  • Options
    You have 1,242 messages stored, of a total 1,250 allowed.

icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

It looks like there are duplicates of some, but where did all the others come from?

Did you just put the "saved" PMs in the inbox? Besides a handful of recent ones, those are the only ones I care about. I just want to be sure I can wipe out my sent box (cuts that number in half).

Thanks for taking the time to get those imported; I know it wasn't a pleasant process.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    If anyone figures out how to mark all PMs as "read" in a single operation, please post it here. I certainly don't want to do it one page at a time.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The Biography in the Additional Information of the User CP shows as Wroking On: under your Avatar.

Not sure if this is supposed to be that way, if so the labeling is a little misleading!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    If anyone figures out how to mark all PMs as "read" in a single operation, please post it here. I certainly don't want to do it one page at a time.
    Doesn't seem to be an option, I just cleared a dozen pages in a couple min so if 'I' can do it... ;)

@networker050184: Thanks, will fix that typo right away.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »

Go to the inbox folder, click the check box at the top to select all messages. Go to the bottom right after the last PM message on the page and there will be a pull down menu, where you can select "mark as read".
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Go to the inbox folder, click the check box at the top to select all messages. Go to the bottom right after the last PM message on the page and there will be a pull down menu, where you can select "mark as read".
    Yes, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that for more than one page of PMs at a time. There also doesn't seem to be a way to search PMs either.

Webmaster pointed out that the default number of PMs is 50; the vBulletin designers may never have considered that some people may need very large, searchable PM boxes like I do.
  • Options
    So did the saved box end up getting imported? It looks like I have every PM I've ever sent/received. Is that how the import works? I'm having to be really careful not delete the 20 or 30 I want to keep out of 1200+.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm having to be really careful not delete the 20 or 30 I want to keep out of 1200+.
    It would be nice if we could bookmark PMs too.

Wait...is the concept of thread or posting bookmarks supported by vBulletin at all? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    I thought he said that the bookmarks were a custom add-on to phpBB, which is why the bookmarks didn't make the transition. I just created a delicious account and have been using the add-on for Firefox. I got too many in the old system and couldn't keep track of them.
  • Options
    I just created a delicious account and have been using the add-on for Firefox.
    Yes, brilliant! del.icio.us is the best way to keep track of posts in a public forum.
  • Options
    Aw, I just realized that all the URLs are going to be wrong because of the switch icon_sad.gif

vBulletin/phpBB reference the posts in different ways. Oh well, I only have 55, so I guess I'll start updating a few each day.

If anyone's curious, for future reference: http://delicious.com/adynamik1/techexams
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if it was asked already, whatever happen to the fron page latest post, that's my guide to check the latest TE gossips, it was a very navigatable :)
  • Options
    So did the saved box end up getting imported? It looks like I have every PM I've ever sent/received. Is that how the import works? I'm having to be really careful not delete the 20 or 30 I want to keep out of 1200+.
    It's more related to the difference between folder on the previous forums and the way it didn't properly purge PMs. But yes, you have all the PMs you ever sent/received/saved, which is the case for most members.
    I thought he said that the bookmarks were a custom add-on to phpBB, which is why the bookmarks didn't make the transition.
    Indeed, it's in the announcement.

Still on to do list but we will set up redirects soon for individual forums and posts.

@jbaello: Checkout Today's Posts in the Quick Links menu at the top right of all forum pages. Or click here. But the homepage will be configured to show the latest X active topics again soon (same for CompTIA, Microsoft and similar pages that show forum content).
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I like the change, but I do have a personal prejudice against vbulletin.

Couple of things:
    1) Is BBcode still supported? Can the button bar of that be added again?
    2) Can the Section->Forum->Thread link path be duplicated in the bottom as well? For those of us viewing threads in linear mode, it makes it much easier to navigate to other threads/forums.

Thanks!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can the Section->Forum->Thread link path be duplicated in the bottom as well? For those of us viewing threads in linear mode, it makes it much easier to navigate to other threads/forums.

Thanks!

I actually requested this to him in PM a few days ago. I know there's a plugin for it since I used to admin a Vbulletin forum and implemented the plugin to add that to the bottom as well as the top. Hopefully he adds it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    I still need to do quite a few small template changes, I'm currently still working on recovering full functionality of the entire site.

Those navigation links will be copied to the bottom as royal indeed requested.

As for bbcode, change your editor to Wysiwyg in your profile and you'll have something much better. Dynamik posted the path to the option in the User CP earlier in this topic.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    FYI, if you get an email notification for a topic subscription, it's pointing to "www.techexams.net" rather than the new "http://techexams.net" - I think that was part of the issue I was having yesterday with being able to log on.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Those navigation links will be copied to the bottom as royal indeed requested.

I see it's added now. Thanks Johan!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just thought I would check with others, is "New Posts" working for you? For me it displays the last days posts but never refreshes even when I close FireFox (yes I confirmed the process exits)... ideas?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Just thought I would check with others, is "New Posts" working for you? For me it displays the last days posts but never refreshes even when I close FireFox (yes I confirmed the process exits)... ideas?

Works for me. Try going under the quick links and marking forums as read, or clear your cookies.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    So can we edit our certs on the left now? I can't see how to do that.

In other news, I just Astorrs. Is that bad? :D
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    So can we edit our certs on the left now? I can't see how to do that.
    Click the User CP left in the mini menu at the top of any forum page, and then click Edit Your Details (or click here )
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What happened to the forum last night and today?
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Click the User CP left in the mini menu at the top of any forum page, and then click Edit Your Details (or click here )

Weird, I had to clear my browser cache to see it.
    Good luck to all!