another 70-216 test question

kalikali Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi again,
FROM THE SAME TEST FROM THIS SITE (question below).
If Novels are already running tcp/ip, why do we need IPX ? We only need w2k clients to connect to them, and w2k runs tcp/ip.

Thanks

30. You are implementing a new network which consists of 11 Novell Netware 5.0 servers running TCP/IP and 400 Windows 2000 Professional with the Client Service for Netware installed. None of the clients can connect to shared resources on the Novell servers. What should you do to solve the problem?
a. Configure the Client Service for Netware to use TCP/IP as the primairy protocol
b. Enable IPX on the Novell 5 servers
c. Install the Gateway Services for Netware on the clients
d. Place IPX/SPX in top of the binding order on all clients

Answer(s): b. Enable IPX on the Novell 5 servers

Explanation:
Novell 5 servers have TCP/IP enabled by default, but IPX disabled.

Comments

• RexelRexel Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it's because Novell Uses a proprietary version of TCP/IP .. correct me if I'm wrong someone ... !
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since the information is not given in the question, i'm assuming that only NWLink is installed on the client machines. It would be easier to install IPX/SPX on the Novell servers then it would be to add TCP/IP to 400 clients.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • arivkinarivkin Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. Novell doesn't use any proprietary version of TCP/IP.
    2. TCP/IP is installed on Windows machines by default.

Conclusion:
    Looks like a bogus question or unappropriate answers set.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i think answer c is correct - but it should be installed on w2k server. and probably the ipx frame type is incorrect on w2k clients. so where is the answer ?? btw, by default ipx/spx is running on any novell.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • arivkinarivkin Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dedy is right, "C" is correct.
    Not because of protocol compatibility issues, but because of file system permissions!
    W2k clients have no permissions on a file system, until you create a dedicated account on Netware. The same account will be used by Gateway Service.

Yes, Dedy also right about the W2K server, instead of W2k pro.
    Let's assume it's a mistake in answer.
  • sharpmi1sharpmi1 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's why, GSNW only supports NWlink for communication with NW servers, this is why you must add IPX to the NW box. Do some research, you will see.

Sharpton Out