Advise On IT Related Book

ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
So i am heading to barnes and noble tomorrow to browse around for a IT Related book.

I am looking for a good read on either security or administration. Not looking for a certification book but a book from someone in the field. Recently read Two of Kevin Mitnicks books. The art of deception and the art of intrusion. Both where extremely good reads.

Looking for any recomendations for a good book to read.

Thanks in advance.
CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
Cisco CCENT In Progress
MCP Server 291 In Progress
C|EH In Progress

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While not directly related to administration in the technical sense, I've found this book to be a great read for anyone working in IT.

Time Management for System Administrators
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik recently linked to a security book on Amazon which one of the TE moderations sprkymrk gave a review to. It looked to be an excellent security related book that had tons of excellent ratings. I don't remember the name but I'm sure dynamik will link to it when he sees this thread.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    While not directly related to administration in the technical sense, I've found this book to be a great read for anyone working in IT.

Time Management for System Administrators

This is definately along the lines of what i am looking for.

Keep the suggestions coming folks.

Dynamik where are you
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's the one. It's slightly dated, but it's a phenomenal value at that used price. There's no reason why any Windows admin shouldn't have that book.

That time management book is another one I would list as a "must have."
    You've read both or just basing that off the reviews on Amazon? That time management book sure does have some good reviews. One of my goals is to read some soft skill books for 2009. May have to pick that up.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went through the Windows security book a month or so ago. I'll finish the time management book soon, maybe even this weekend. That's a real easy read, and it's under 200 pages. Very good info though; I'd definitely recommend it.
    Well about to head to Barnes and Noble to see whats available. Thanks for the advise about the books, hopefully they have both available or somethings else that catches my eyes.

Take a few 100 pages off those 10,000
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    Well i just got back from barnes and noble. Unfortunately they did not have the one book someone suggested.

Did pick up the two following books.

Time Management for system Administrators:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596007833/ref=s9subs_c1_14_at1-rfc_g1_si2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1XYTX1KK4CA5MXEF4GTX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846

CCNA IOS Commands Survival Guide: Todd Lammle's:
    http://www.amazon.com/Todd-Lammles-Commands-Survival-Guide/dp/0470175605/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230928023&sr=1-1

Thanks again for all the info look forward to reading the time management one and learning more about implementing my cisco gear.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    royal wrote: »

It's written by Dr. Jesper Johansson - the lead author of the Server 2008 Security Resource Kit from MS Press. If you are looking for a similar, but updated, book you could try the ResKit. I read a couple of chapters while preparing for my 647 exam, but now I think I will read the whole book. The tone of the writing is different than other ResKits, but I suppose that when you are a former security manager for Microsoft you can be pretty cocky when writing about Windows security.