Options

My Study Process

EluderEluder Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm planning on doing my MCSE 2k3 and I've started with 70-270. I am using this book as my study guide. I have tried the practice exam here and always get killed by them, so I'm really freaked out now. I haven't gone nuts studying or anything, but I'm thinking this book isn't the best, or I'm just a dumbass. icon_cry.gif Now, I am wondering if you guys have any tips for me on how to help me with the exam prep. I am a techy and have a business IT degree, but for some reason I am not doing well on these practice exams. I have access to QUE publishing and MS Press books for dirt cheap as I have friends at these companies. Thanks for any help you may provide, I really wanna pass this exam the first time around!

Comments

• Options
    ciscoboyciscoboy Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Reading books especailly for Microsoft materails can be a boring journey. My advice is to do more practice than you read. That way not only you absorb the materila, but also become good at it. I read different books, but wasn't doing well on tests. Recently I changed strategy, and focusing on practical aspect of it. And I am scoring 80+ on tests. Good luck.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I don't have any experience with Exam Cram books, but I've heard they are very good. If you have access to the M$ books, I would reccomend those as well. You should always have two sources of information. For a good practice tests, I would reccomend Transcender. They're not the cheapest, but they are very good. I used them for Net+, 210, and will for 215 also. For MCSE2K3, they have this package deal for MCSE2K3. Like I said, not cheap, but real good. Other than that, study, practice, study, practice, study, practice.....you'll get it.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I used Exam Cram2. It gets right to the point. However the book may not be the best for you, I feel they are more geared to those whom have experience working with the material. Also if you havn't---, work with XP. Use the mmc, gpedit.msc, and create accounts, and file shares (if you have a network) and just do some practice exams. It will all come together.
  • Options
    I've used XP Pro for several years now, just never used it as deeply as this book covers. Mostly the security related parts of it. I have previous Novell Netware 5 admin experience from a course several years back, but I guess it's been a while now. Any other tips on say where to get free exams etc? I'm trying to minimize the cost of this since it's all coming out of my pocket, company doesn't pay for this since I'm on contract basis. icon_rolleyes.gif Heck, purpose of this certification is to help me get the heck out of the company I am currently working for! icon_wink.gif
    Thanks for any more tips you guys provide...

PS: Should I look into getting the Exam Cram2 books for the other exams as well or should I go with something else?
  • Options
    Sorry for the delayed reply, been busy @ work. Thanks for the tips... I think I'm gonna fork out for a transcender exam for this. Would understanding the 3 versions of the Transcenders exam be pretty much put me in a good spot to pass or is it not all it's cracked up to be? Thanks!