Options

Duplicate Cert's??

If you get your MCSE, are you an MCSE AND an MCSA? Or does the MCSE override the MCSA?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, it doesn't overwrite them but does encapsulate it.
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    So, say, on your card, it'll have both listed? And will it also have an MCP listed? Or does the one with them all, as you said, encapsulate them. i.e. you only see the MCSE?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, say, on your card, it'll have both listed? And will it also have an MCP listed? Or does the one with them all, as you said, encapsulate them. i.e. you only see the MCSE?

It will show all of your Microsoft credentials.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do they send you a new wallet card every time you pass another Microsoft exam?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Do they send you a new wallet card every time you pass another Microsoft exam?
    no, I am pretty sure they only send you a new card when you earn new credentials. (i.e., if you're currently MCP only and get your MCSA)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to know, thanks.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Do you request a "welcome Kit" everytime you get a new certification? Or are those only for the 1st.
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Welcome Kits like wallet cards only get sent out for each new *big* cert.
    Passing an MCTS exam means that you get a new certificate, but you'll only get a wallet card for the first MCTS you get. You do have to request them though for each kit/certificate you want sent out.
    My kits so far have been -
    MCTS Welcome Kit
    MCP Welcome Kit
    MCTS Certificate
    MCSA Welcome Kit
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Oddly enough I did not get a new wallet card for the MCITP: EA, just the certificate. I found that a bit odd and if I get motivated enough I may contact Microsoft to found out if that's the way it is to be.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Make sure you go to Microsoft MCP member site and request the "Charter Member" MCITP welcome kit to get that. It's separate from the welcome kit for MCITP: EA, which would consist of just a certificate.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Actually have to eat my own words, just went out and checked the mail and there was my card. Turns out they actually give you two separate certificates, one for the MCITP:EA and another just for being an MCITP, and that's the one the card came with. Microsoft seems to be rather certificate happy. In total I received 7 certificates.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    undomiel wrote: »
    Actually have to eat my own words, just went out and checked the mail and there was my card. Turns out they actually give you two separate certificates, one for the MCITP:EA and another just for being an MCITP, and that's the one the card came with. Microsoft seems to be rather certificate happy. In total I received 7 certificates.

Correct. The welcome kits are actually two different ones: MCITP Charter Member Kit, and the other is the technology specific MCITP one, in your case Enterprise Administrator.

As mentioned before, you only get the Charter Member kits when you gain a new level of cert, such as your first MCTS or MCITP certification. From then on, additional certs within that level only come with printed certificates if you order them. For example, I got a charter member kit for MCITP when I got MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator with a wallet card, plus the kit for MCITP: EMA which was just a certificate that I ordered. However, when I pass my last exam for MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, I'll only get the certificate type kit for that since I'm already an MCITP, and that's if I order it. I always do because it's free, and I like to be a pain to Microsoft whenever possible. :)
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    The Charter one I believe was only for people who got their certification early on and currently it is just MCITP : Welcome Kit for New MCITP Candidate. I don't really pay attention to what they put there I just put a check in everything new and submit and then get pleasantly surprised when certificates start piling in my mailbox. Maybe I should plant them and start a farm with them or something ...