Options

Passed 70-649

HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
Just passed my upgrade exam today. Still need 70-647 to complete MCITP: EA, but with 70-620 already done, I'm almost there!

Don't take this exam lightly, especially command line stuff.

Anyway, next is obviously 70-647 for me, and I think at that point I'm going to start going for more non-Microsoft certifications, likely Storage and Security exams.

Giggidy!
Good luck to all!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whoa, you actually built up the motivation to take it down, eh? ;)

Congratulations!

So did you have a similar experience to Undomiel?
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Good job, you psycho.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    I found to be a very challenging exam actually, quite contrary to undomiel.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Giggidy!
    Giggidy indeed! Congrats!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Real-MCTS-MCITP-Exam-70-649/dp/1597492345/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231049893&sr=8-1

I didn't have a choice when I began studying as far as books went. It did an okay job, but I've never had these books get me well prepared just within them with the exception of the Tom Shinder book for ISA.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Well, just ordered this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Active-Directory-Resource/dp/0735625158/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231051308&sr=8-5

It seems to go into a lot of detail. More than 60 pages alone on replication. It also includes chapter on ADLDS (ADAM), Certificate Services, ADRMS (Rights Management Services), and ADFS (Federation Services).

After that I plan on reading my PowerShell for AD book (was reading cookbook but I'll read it some other time) and then will start with the Server 2008 exam stuff.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Many congratz dude.

My train of thought is to pick up powershell while studying for the EA, I guess it's worth learning while going along, can create some useful admin time savers along the way ;)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    I'll be happy once I pass 70-647 and wrap MCITP: EA up.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Congrats, HeroPsycho. I bet you finish the MCITP:EA before I finish the MCITP:EMA!
    royal wrote: »
    Well, just ordered this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Active-Directory-Resource/dp/0735625158/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231051308&sr=8-5

It seems to go into a lot of detail. More than 60 pages alone on replication. It also includes chapter on ADLDS (ADAM), Certificate Services, ADRMS (Rights Management Services), and ADFS (Federation Services).

After that I plan on reading my PowerShell for AD book (was reading cookbook but I'll read it some other time) and then will start with the Server 2008 exam stuff.

I definitely recommend the AD ResKit for this and the 647 exam. The AD section on my 649 exam was very short and the last 4 chapters of the book are all you need. For the 647 Enterprise Admin exam, be sure to include chapter 5 on design and anything about RODCs. 60 pages on replication is a bit excessive, just read the 2 on RODC replication and move on if all you want to do is pass the exam.

Feel free to read the whole 2008 Resource Kit though, but don't forget about the Group Policy ResKit, Terminal Services ResKit, and the forthcoming Hyper-V ResKit which aren't included.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass. I'll be hitting that milestone once these damn MCSE tests are out of the way. Good luck with the PRO exam, once you get there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I'm thinking wrap it up by the end of the month. No since dilly dallying around, especially with the info fresh in my brain and my utter boredom for studying it. Doing it now will mean less studying to get it done in the end. Just tired of the MCSE/MCITP Microsoft stuff. I figure once I do this, I'm done with Microsoft certs for at least a year or two. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats HP, good luck with the rest of it!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Congrats, HeroPsycho. I bet you finish the MCITP:EA before I finish the MCITP:EMA!

I definitely recommend the AD ResKit for this and the 647 exam. The AD section on my 649 exam was very short and the last 4 chapters of the book are all you need. For the 647 Enterprise Admin exam, be sure to include chapter 5 on design and anything about RODCs. 60 pages on replication is a bit excessive, just read the 2 on RODC replication and move on if all you want to do is pass the exam.

Feel free to read the whole 2008 Resource Kit though, but don't forget about the Group Policy ResKit, Terminal Services ResKit, and the forthcoming Hyper-V ResKit which aren't included.

The reason I'm reading the book is to learn more deep knowledge. Couldn't care less about the exam. But either way, the book should help me pass the exam anyways.

I was debating on the Group Policy Reskit but I think I'm going to get Jeremy Moskowitz two books. His 1st book alone is longer than the MSPress Reskit and is only 1/2 in the series.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! So you found the exam to be a bit difficult? I was surprised and was expecting more out of it difficultywise. I'd definitely recommend zooming on into that 647 exam as there will be a lot of overlap. Have fun with it though!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    Congratulations! So you found the exam to be a bit difficult? I was surprised and was expecting more out of it difficultywise. I'd definitely recommend zooming on into that 647 exam as there will be a lot of overlap. Have fun with it though!

That's because undomiel > Heropsycho.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    royal wrote: »
    The reason I'm reading the book is to learn more deep knowledge. Couldn't care less about the exam. But either way, the book should help me pass the exam anyways.

I was debating on the Group Policy Reskit but I think I'm going to get Jeremy Moskowitz two books. His 1st book alone is longer than the MSPress Reskit and is only 1/2 in the series.

That's the great thing about reading ResKits - you learn more AND you can pass the exam! I stayed away from training kits (until the 647 exam) and read other material so I could learn 2008 in depth and use the information rather than just prep for the exam.

Having read the GP ResKit and several chapters of Moskowitz's Creating the Secure Managed Desktop book, I support your idea of skipping the ResKit and just reading both Moskowitz's books. I was disappointed with the GP ResKit overall, for example the TS ResKit has an in-depth discussion on loopback processing while the GP ResKit only shows an example event log entry from when it was applied. If you are more interested in actually using GP rather than writing ADMX files, stick with Moskowitz.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »

Well, remember if you fail one mini-exam, you fail the entire exam. One mini-exam was let's just say not very many questions. When a third of the questions are on a peripheral feature not used that often, asking in depth troubleshooting type stuff, I say that's a pretty challenging exam. LOL...

I honestly didn't know if I passed or not by the time I finished the exam.

In case anyone is curious, my scores were:

Active Directory configuring: 880
    Application Infrastructure configuring: 760 (I don't work on Terminal Services a whole lot, and I have very little interest in it)
    Network Infrastructure Configuring: 925

Your score on the exam is the lowest of the three, so technically I scored a 760.

I discussed the exam afterwards with a co-worker who passed it earlier this year at Microsoft TechEd. He said they definitely have ramped up the difficulty since he took it from the little I mentioned about it. Not sure when that happened.

And royal, refer to my avatar. :D
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    And royal, refer to my avatar. :D

Right back at ya!
    Application Infrastructure configuring: 760 (I don't work on Terminal Services a whole lot, and I have very little interest in it)

This will also be my lowest score. I don't care about Terminal Services at all.
  • Options
    It is boring beyond belief for us AD/Exchange guys. Plus, my virtualization interests mean I'm much more interested in virtual desktop infrastructure than comparatively Terminal Services.
    Good luck to all!