Net+ Test change?

OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm close to ready to take the Net+, but want to stretch out taking it for a while (the next couple of weeks suck for scheduling for me.)

How long will it be before I can't take the 2007 version of the Net+ exam after the new objectives?
2k11 Goals:
VCP - Currently Studying
MCITP:EA - 620 (done)

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    OoteR wrote: »
    I'm close to ready to take the Net+, but want to stretch out taking it for a while (the next couple of weeks suck for scheduling for me.)

How long will it be before I can't take the 2007 version of the Net+ exam after the new objectives?
    If they follow the pattern of previous updates, they'll keep offering the old exams for 6 months after the new are released. No official release date on the new objectives yet, so you've got some time.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • willtech10577willtech10577 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was actually going to post something similar.

According to CompTIAs website, there is a 2009 version of N+ coming out...if not already. But all the self study books are for the 2005 version. If I was to get a 2005 book would it still apply to N+ or is there a drastic difference?
    I was actually going to post something similar.

According to CompTIAs website, there is a 2009 version of N+ coming out...if not already. But all the self study books are for the 2005 version. If I was to get a 2005 book would it still apply to N+ or is there a drastic difference?
    The 2007 version is still based on the 2005 objectives - same content, just with some updated. So if you take the current exam, you're ok with the 2005 objective study books, but if you wait & take the new one then you are best off to get an updated book based on 2009 objectives.

The N+ 2009 update is currently scheduled for sometime during the 1st quarter of this year, but there's been no updates on the release date since October, so it might get delayed. You probably have plenty of time to prepare for the 2007 version before 2009 comes out.

skrpune wrote: »
    The 2007 version is still based on the 2005 objectives - same content, just with some updated. So if you take the current exam, you're ok with the 2005 objective study books, but if you wait & take the new one then you are best off to get an updated book based on 2009 objectives.

The N+ 2009 update is currently scheduled for sometime during the 1st quarter of this year, but there's been no updates on the release date since October, so it might get delayed. You probably have plenty of time to prepare for the 2007 version before 2009 comes out.
    FYI, as of today, there's an official release date for the Network+ 2009 exam: January 9th. I just checked the Network+ "at a glance" page yesterday or the day before, so this was just updated in the last 24 hours or so.

Oh, and they upped the pass score to 720/900, and it's now 100 questions.

For anyone studying for 2005 objectives/2007 version, you've got until July 31, 2009.

• gehrig44gehrig44 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is interesting. I just started a Network+ prep class last week. My "mentor" mentioned that a student took the exam yesterday and did terribly on it. He mentioned that they just changed many of the exam questions.

It started to make me think...so I did a search and came up with this site. I was not aware how the year objectives work. And still don't really. We are given "Network+ Certification: A CompTIA Certification" book. Published by elementk. It states it is for the 2005 objectives. It sounds like this would be fine for the 2007 exams... but not the 2009.

At any rate, I will be sure to ask my "mentor" tomorrow about which exam we are taking. Also, I want to talk to that student that took the exam.
    correct, if it's a book based on the 2005 objectives then the book will adequately prepare you for the 2007 version. CompTIA uses the term "version" when they change some exam questions but don't change the exam content/objectives. A book based on the 2005 objectives probably wouldn't be good to prepare you for the 2009 objective exam, unless you plan on doing some extra self-studying to fill in the blanks.

• gehrig44gehrig44 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info.

I was just told that the student did take the 2009 version of the test. I mentioned that one can still take the 2007 version until the end of July. They are looking into getting updated material... however, I can't find updated material anywhere. All the reading material I find is for the 2005 objectives. So, maybe taking the 2009 isn't the best idea at the moment :)
    last I checked, the earliest publication date for a 2009 book on amazon is February. Hrm. Not sure why CompTIA didn't try to coordinate better with publishers...