2 years of hosting at DreamHost for $10.47

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
I saw this on Lifehacker, figured some people here would be interested: http://lifehacker.com/5122758/new-years-deal-get-24-months-of-hosting-%252B-domain-for-11

Ends today (January 3rd).

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have problems with hosts like this, perhaps it's from my days when I owned a web hosting company which did well because we focused on reliability and stability for all of our customers at a fair price.

First of all, nobody has invented unlimited sized hard drives yet, and you know the unlimited bandwidth is a gimmick. Yes, I know it's a marketing ploy and even from my days in the industry some of the most active accounts I hosted never utilized on average more than 5-10% of their allocated resources, but it's just the principle of it that annoys me. In short, they are notorious huge oversellers in the industry and expect your site to be shutdown or you forced to upgrade plans if you do any form of slightly significant data transfer, cpu/memory usage or anything of that sort that would impair the ability of a server hosting 1000's of domains to be bogged down.

I suppose for personal use it wouldn't be a bad option, although my personal sites currently sit on a $25 a month reseller package while my business sites reside on a $75 a month server I colocate in Chicago - even those use barely 20gb of bandwidth a month but they are e-commerce sites and I don't care to have other people on the same server as me.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've never used them personally, so I'm not recommending them. Regardless, for hosting some personal stuff it's pretty good deal.

I pay $15 a month at a different host that gives me root access to the virtual server, I really dislike not having full control of web servers.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Mine is not to bad. I use startlogic.com and pay 85 a year for my hosting which breaks down to about 6.95 a month.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress