Options

SDM vs SDM Express

boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
I am trying to load SDM on my 2620XM but I only have 32mb of flash. This limits me to loading SDM Express. Is SDM Express suitable for studying for CCNA or is the full SDM recommended?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure, but why don't you copy that IOS image to your PC and load it up in dynagen? This might be a good time to get acquainted with that.

Also, can't you choose to simply install SDM on your PC? I haven't worked with it in awhile...
  • Options
    I could install it to PC but I was wanting to set up a router as a DHCP server and configure it using SDM.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I am trying to load SDM on my 2620XM but I only have 32mb of flash. This limits me to loading SDM Express. Is SDM Express suitable for studying for CCNA or is the full SDM recommended?

Check out table 4 for system requirements

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5318/product_data_sheet0900aecd800fd118.html

System Requirements
    Table 4 lists the system requirements for the Cisco SDM.

Table 4. System Requirements

Feature

Description

Router Flash Memory

• Minimum of 6 MB of free Flash memory on the router for Cisco SDM files
    • Minimum of 2 MB of free Flash memory on the router for Cisco SDM Express. Wireless Management file requires additional 1.7 MB. Rest of the SDM files can be installed on PC hard disk.

PC Hardware

• Pentium III or later series processor

PC Operating System

• Windows XP Professional
    • Windows 2003 Server (Standard Edition)
    • Windows 2000 Professional
    • Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (Service Pack 4)
    • Windows ME
    • Japanese, Simplified Chinese, French, German, Spanish, and Italian language OS support
    • Windows XP Professional
    • Windows 2000 Professional

Browser Software

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later
    • Netscape Navigator 7.1 and 7.2
    • Firefox 1.0.5

Java Software

• Java Virtual Machine (JVM) built-in browsers required
    • Java plug-in (Java Runtime Environment Version 1.4.2_05 or later)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I could install it to PC but I was wanting to set up a router as a DHCP server and configure it using SDM.

I believe that's just where the files are stored. You should be able to connect to the router and have it function the same as if it were installed on it. All it does is provide a GUI to send commands back and forth.
  • Options
    Gotcha. That would make perfect sense :) I will try it tomorrow.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    dynamik wrote: »
    I believe that's just where the files are stored. You should be able to connect to the router and have it function the same as if it were installed on it. All it does is provide a GUI to send commands back and forth.

This is correct, you do not actually need to load SDM onto your IOS. Just simply install it on your PC, and during the installation select PC only. Once that is done you can connect to the router and do all SDM configs, without it actually being on your router.

Saves on resources, too :)
  • Options
    I got my hands on a 32mb stick of flash. Obviously when I installed it the router booted to rommon since there was no IOS. I issued the command xmodem c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-23.bin and then waited for it to tell me to send the image. I sent the image when told to and it begins transferring. At some point during the transfer the cli starts going crazy with a bunch of garbage characters.

Why is this happening? Am I going about this wrong?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I got my hands on a 32mb stick of flash. Obviously when I installed it the router booted to rommon since there was no IOS. I issued the command xmodem c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-23.bin and then waited for it to tell me to send the image. I sent the image when told to and it begins transferring. At some point during the transfer the cli starts going crazy with a bunch of garbage characters.

Why is this happening? Am I going about this wrong?
    Firstly, are you certain that your ROMMON doesn't support TFTP?
  • Options
    it does support tftp. I was using the tftpdnld command to try to get the IOS to flash but I couldn't get it to work.

Is there a way to copy the contents of the 16mb flash that I took out to the 32mb flash I put in?
  • Options
    I guess what I need to know is which settings are necessary to be able to T F T P while in rommon mode. I have read several different things about which
    settings need to be in place but still have not managed to get it to work.

**Sorry for the spaces in T F T P. vBulletin is blocking posts with T F T P in them. Johan is working on the problem**
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via T F T P Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command

The variables names to set for t f t p dnld are CASE SENSITIVE.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. Is there a way to clear the settings that I have previously configured in rommon so I can start fresh?
  • Options
    I had the DEFAULT_GATEWAY set incorrectly. I was thinking I needed to have the FE port on the router set as the default gateway. When I set it as the IP of the PC I was TFTPing from, it worked.

Thanks again Mike!
  • Options
    OK.......

The flash I got is not 32mb. It is 16 just like the other. This is what I am going to do. I don't need the advanced enterprise IOS so I will get a smaller one so I can fit SDM on the router. Will using just the ipbase IOS be good enough for CCNA studies?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Why don't you just install SDM to your computer? It works the same whether it is running from the router flash or your local computer.
  • Options
    I have installed it on my PC, but I would also like to install a full version on a router. I have a 2620XM that needs a job.