Options

passed 290

raskaliraskali Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
well just passed the 290, getting ready for the beast in a few weeks.....iam a little worried due to all the reviews i hear about it............

anyway i can across a question the seems to be a little unclear to me.....

- How do you view the global catalog data?

i know how to set a DC as as GC but iam a little confused as to how to view the actual data that is stored in the GC.......is this just the info stored in the ntds file? Also how can you easily determine which DC's are all configured as GC's

All help is greatly apopreciated

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

The big difference between a DC and a GC is that a GC contains a copy of the Domain Partition for every domain in the Forest. A GC can read and write to its own domain and can only read other domain (big reason there's DSProxy issues in Exchange in certain complex multi-site/multi-domain environments which I can go into a bit if anybody cares).

These other Domain partitions contain every single object for the other domains but not every attribute, only the most common. You can go into the Schema and specify certain attributes to replicate to the GCs, however.

So because of this, viewing data on a GC isn't really different than viewing it on a DC. You can use LDP though to navigate your AD partitions and view the data. ADSIEdit is also used for this. ADSIEdit will show you ALL attributes and LDP will show you most common attributes and is more flexible with ways you can navigate.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

You don't have to be too concerned with GC's for the 291 exam, but it won't hurt I guess. The 294 exam you will have to know GC's for sure. Here is a link the describes more of what Royal said.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737102.aspx
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    raskaliraskali Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks peeps, that really helps out a lot.......
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats on the pass!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□