My favorite program of the day : Truecrypt

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
And I am talking about That One.

I was looking for a decent way to encrypt my company laptop. I am positively shocked how nice and smooth that FREE programs works.

One gimmick I really like : Hidden OS .. you can have one decoy OS and one hidden OS (in my case with all the company stuff). There is simply no way to find out that this OS exists which is brilliant - like I say - nice gimmick ..

You can also hide the bootloader - well the layout that is .. when the laptop boots up it simply shows a white courser in the middle and it looks like it is frozen (keyboard doesn't respond either - you just have to hope you type your password correctly lol).

Me love it long time :)
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's great. I have an encrypted thumb drive I keep on my key chain.

If you're looking for something equally cool for password management, check out KeePass.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's great. I have an encrypted thumb drive I keep on my key chain.

If you're looking for something equally cool for password management, check out KeePass.

thanks for the link dynamik, i'll check that one.

Yeah truecrypt is great considering its free too!!! Maybe the UK government should take a look at that instead of loosing peoples security details in the standard post and leaving sensitive information in pubs!!! Plonkers.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yep, truecrypt is a good alternative to dm-crypt(-luks) because runs also on linux and due to ntfs-3g, I can do whatever I want with my truecrypt ntfs partition (umm ... deleting System Volume Information folder !? :P )
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    easily one of my favorite programs!!!!

three thumbs up
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The ONLY problem I have encountered (apart from the slow write performance which you get anyway) is Acronis .. just not useable icon_sad.gif
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Yep I love truecrypt too, including the "portable" version, In fact with trucrypt and portable apps installed on my thumb drive I've got pretty much every application I will ever need on my keyring!

+2 for keepass
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I prefer to make encrypted file container rather than encrypt an entire thumb drive. That allows me to access unencrypted files on the drive without needing TrueCrypt installed on a computer.

Make sure you upgrade to version 6.1a (or later) if you have not already done so.