Hard Drive Problem

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
I bought a 40 gigabyte Maxtor hard drive for my P133 computer, but when I install the Windows Nintey-Eight Second Edition and check how much free space I have got, it says I have somthing like eight gigabytes.
I have gone to the Maxtor and Microsoft websites but do not find a similar problem in their respective FAQ pages.
Do I need to buy Windows ME or XP? I think Ninety-Eight does not work on 40 gigabyte Maxtor hard drives.

Comments

• bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    your bios might need flashed. a pentium might only recognise up to 8 gb hd, perhaps 30 gb.

did you install o/s with large hard drive support?

did you have anti-virus software installed.
    A+ Moderator
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    your bios might need flashed. a pentium might only recognise up to 8 gb hd, perhaps 30 gb.

I have windows 98 with a 40 gb hdd and it works fine.I think gonch should reinstall his win98se but first pay a close look at the partitioing and formatting procedures.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It will definitely be the mobo or partition setup. I have an old P120 with a 60gb drive in it, on W98 (not se) so it can be done.
    Flash BIOS would be first step - then ensure that large drive support is used (that uses Fat32 rather than Fat16).
    If you are unable to flash the BIOS you should still be able to run the drive, but would need to partition into 5 x 8gb sections.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007